Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Yoshimi Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:48 pm
jahrome wrote:The MPC 3000s OS is not as good as the MPC 2000...so what's your point?As far as coloring sound?? The point that I am trying to make is that MPC 3000s sound that you hear everyone talking in the forums about...isn't really much too different than whats coming out of an MPC 2500. This is a side to side compare/contrast using the same mixer/monitors. I haven't heard one person say that one sounds better than the other with any consistency.

It's all opinion. For me...any MPC that doesn't allow me to stack four different samples on each pad and doesn't have a CF Card reader is not worth using. Old school?... I'd go for an SP-1200 myself.

By jahrome Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:59 pm
It's all opinion. For me...any MPC that doesn't allow me to stack four different samples on each pad and doesn't have a CF Card reader is not worth using. Old school?... I'd go for an SP-1200 myself.

Opinons are like butt holes..everyone has one :D

Now, if you really had experience using the older drum machines, you would know that the SIMULT feature of the older MPCs are more powerful that the current way that the 1000 and MPC 2500 layers samples.

A CF card is just a way to store samples. As long as you can load/save files, why even care? You do know that the older MPCs are more stable in terms of saving/loading files? And you can have your older MPCs fitted with CF cards reader/writers.

Also, the SP-1200 doesn't come close to any MPC made in the past 12 years, in terms of functions. They are more of a collector's item than anything else.

Back to MPC prices....what are you guys smoking. The 500 is cheaper than the 1000.

By Yoshimi Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:04 pm
jahrome wrote:
Now, if you really had experience using the older drum machines, you would know that the SIMULT feature of the older MPCs are more powerful that the current way that the 1000 and MPC 2500 layers samples.

A CF card is just a way to store samples. As long as you can load/save files, why even care? You do know that the older MPCs are more stable in terms of saving/loading files? And you can have your older MPCs fitted with CF cards reader/writers.

Also, the SP-1200 doesn't come close to any MPC made in the past 12 years, in terms of functions. They are more of a collector's item than anything else.

Back to MPC prices....what are you guys smoking. The 500 is cheaper than the 1000.

Tell me more about the SIMULT function....which the 2000 doesn't have right? CF Cards are a great way for me to work with samples...since I do all of my editing on a computer and then transfer. It has been completely 100% stable for me. Yes, I have heard that you can have older machines fitted...but it is a customer job or a DIY job. The SP1200 isn't about the function again...it is about the way the old sample engine and filters transform the sound. People like to compare a new 500 to a used 1000.

By jahrome Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 am
The MPC 2000 does have the SIMULT function. There are several threads detailing this function but it is rather simple. You can trigger two additional pads from a single pad. Thus, you can layer samples that have their own filters, panning, effects, etc.

CF cards can be done by the user or a service department. I fitted an Akai MPC 2000XL with a multi-card reader/writer (CF, SM, SD, etc). The CF card I installed was far superior that what is installed to the 2500/1000 which are are very cheap/fragile.

As far as you editing on a computer..that's what most people have been doing for years with older MPCs. Most sample editing programs can save files in Akai S1000/3000 and MPC SND formats. Now the older MPC don't have USB. You have to save your files to disk and load it into your MPC. This has never been a problem or hassle. The newer MPCs has USB, which is only impressive that it has this function. However, MPC USB is far from fast and it only transfer files from one hard drive to another. You still have to load samples into RAM. The MPC 4000 allows you to use USB and drop samples directly into the MPC 4000's RAM. The MPC 2500 and other MPCs has nothing that comes close to this function in terms of moving samples back/forth to/from PC.

The SP1200 only because of sample filters/sample engine? No wonder why they are not made anymore. The 80s/90s are gone. Alot of the music created using these older machines actually sound horrible (in terms of sound quality). There is also many other elements in the signal chain that had an effect on the sound than just the sampler....mixers, analog tape, digital tape, etc. But you know all this already. I be sure to keep an eye out for an SP 1200 for you. In the meantime, I got some majic beans to sell to you.

Compare a new 500 to a used 1000....compare a new 2500 to a used 4000...compare a new 2500 to 2x 1000s???? What's the point?

By cre8tive Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:09 am
redundancy................

just use what gets the job done.

By sensei Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:09 am
The SP1200 is a luxury item, a character piece and it can still have a place but it is not a necessity. Personally I enjoy hearing someone who can use an SP well.

The right drum samples in an SP1200 can sound great.

If I were starting from scratch however, I couldn't justify getting an sp1200 before a 2500 or most any other MPC.

Some people don't want/need an MPC.

Still if I were well off and saw one at a decent price I would jump on it.

By Yoshimi Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:45 am
jahrome wrote:
As far as you editing on a computer..that's what most people have been doing for years with older MPCs. Most sample editing programs can save files in Akai S1000/3000 and MPC SND formats. Now the older MPC don't have USB. You have to save your files to disk and load it into your MPC. This has never been a problem or hassle. The newer MPCs has USB, which is only impressive that it has this function. However, MPC USB is far from fast and it only transfer files from one hard drive to another. You still have to load samples into RAM. The MPC 4000 allows you to use USB and drop samples directly into the MPC 4000's RAM. The MPC 2500 and other MPCs has nothing that comes close to this function in terms of moving samples back/forth to/from PC.

Yeah, I know you can still chop samples on a computer and load them onto any machine...but I want to load say 256mb of samples at a time or whatever...and not use a floppy or a zip. Have you seen MPC60's or 3000's fitted with a CF Card reader? I agree that the newer MPCs have the best functionality in regards to moving samples...that is why I use them.

By pt3r Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:47 am
^^ Lost post? 8)