Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By alpha80 Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:53 am
^Nah, charging each battery only takes a few minutes, so let's say six batteries(one @ a time) takes 15-20 minutes MAX

6 usb slots = 6 hours of wireless MPC500, in 2-3 minutes... :P

All you office workers can charge up during your final minutes @ work...

...For free :D

By Upright Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:32 am
alpha80 wrote:^Nah, charging each battery only takes a few minutes, so let's say six batteries(one @ a time) takes 15-20 minutes MAX

2 to 3 minutes per battery........that is insanely fast!!1 wow I gotta look into these!!1

By deranger Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:37 pm
alpha80 wrote:^Nah, charging each battery only takes a few minutes, so let's say six batteries(one @ a time) takes 15-20 minutes MAX

Read again carefully:
"Top-Up
Charging for just a few minutes provides extra hours of instant use for most input devices such as wireless mice and keyboards."

Top up =/= full charge

They don't charge in a few minutes, you can just "top them up" - wireless mice&kbs last for weeks, and getting extra hours on that is like, not much.

A USB port on a PC (not laptop!) can provide up to 500mA. These bats are 1300mAh from what I can see. So let's see, to fully charge the battery with 500 mA would take:

1300 mAh / 500 mA = 2.6 hours and that's at 100% efficency!

If you wanted to cram 1300 mAh of energy inside in just 3 minutes, you'd need 26 A (26 amperes) of current. That kind of current would cause a major fire and an explosion of the battery :twisted:

Most household appliances don't take more than about 5 Amperes of current :) You're talking finger thick cable here! :)

By Upright Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:21 pm
deranger wrote:
If you wanted to cram 1300 mAh of energy inside in just 3 minutes, you'd need 26 A (26 amperes) of current. That kind of current would cause a major fire and an explosion of the battery :twisted:

:)

Now that makes sense, I knew something didn't sound right about these batteries.