Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By its bena Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:53 pm
Save the sampling and chopping for the 2KXL in the lab.

how then, is "mini-me" compatible with a 2000xl? Clearly, the 1000 and 2500 both have CF...but my old 2000xl only had floppy disks. do you guys chop, save to zip, zip to computer, computer to flash, then flash to mini-me? Hows that work-flow wise?

-ED
By Upright Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:03 pm
its bena wrote:i still havnt seen this mini-me with my own two eyes...but heres my question. if youre making beats on the road..starbucks, work, wherever...you'll not only need your MPC..but 1/4 chord to sample in, headphones to listen (and ipod headphones will not do), plus if you tryin to link up with the dude playing guitar next to you on the bus, you'll have to have midi cables on you.

my thoughts?...portable...but not so portable. realistically, you'll have to sample everything you want to sample into your flash card, then hit the road and chop it all up while youre out and about. nobody bringing piles of records of them, a portable turntable, AND all the chords. pardon me for thinking out loud..but do you feel me? -mr.ed.

Most guitars don't use midi cables. Headphones are not a problem to carry with you . ipod headphones will work why wouldn't they?

When I'm sitting around sometimes I'll put a record on it and just start sampling without adjusting anything and save it to CF in a section I call vinyl. Then later while Im having coffee :) or whatever I load up the CF and see what I can work out. Works great for me. I have a ton and I mean a ton of samples on CF including about 150 drum kits, no joke.

By Upright Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:09 pm
its bena wrote:

how then, is "mini-me" compatible with a 2000xl? Clearly, the 1000 and 2500 both have CF...but my old 2000xl only had floppy disks. do you guys chop, save to zip, zip to computer, computer to flash, then flash to mini-me? Hows that work-flow wise?

-ED

Your samples should be backed up in your P.C anyway, right?If you want to be portable you do what you gotta do. I will admit that it is a little easier for the 1000 and 2500 users, but you could have your 2000xl equipped with CF if you needed it. Just ask Jahrome I read a post where he was explaining how some 2000xl users do this.

By Upright Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:10 pm
INA wrote:
enotide wrote:Yeah I would roll out with all the sounds on the card, and just Make beats.
It'll be nice to have this on a looooonnnnnngggggg plane ride like from the US to Australia or China.

This machine is for that, or for makin beats in your bed, in a terrace, or in the bathroom, or in the hospital, or in the school, or in the park, or in a friend's house, or in a little party, or in a car meanwhile a friend drives, connected to car hifi or anywhere. Obviously most of time you'll have it fully loaded of prepared samples via your other mpc or computer etc. But it can do so too. Akai's thought is "if men don't go to MPC, MPC will go to men".

LOL!.................................Well put my friend , well put. :)

By enotide Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:44 pm
its bena wrote:

-ED

Well I just upgraded my 2KXL from Zip to MCD, so that when My 500 shows up they'll be compatible thru CF cards.
By 4000is1monster Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:47 pm
F# is a perfect 5th above B and it doesnt matter what key you are in. Even in Keys that dont have F# in it like C major, a perfect fifth above B is always F#.

And yes E# is a real note, you will find the note E# in the key of F#, E# is the enharmonic equivalent to F but in certain keys you have to write it as E# . Im surprised that no one on this thread knew that and all you cats make music. Then the one dude was talking about needing MIDI cables to record a guitar, Damn!

By Upright Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:49 pm
The movement of a perfect 5th is always 8 intervals, so using G major as a reference point a perfect 5th above B would take you to E.Just like the movement from G to D# is has 9 intervals making this movement a minor 6th.

:oops: :oops: :oops: oops in the above statement I am actually explaining the movement in the wrong direction as being below not above this is why I ended up with the note E instead of F#. Your right a movement of a perfect 5th or any other movement it has nothing to do with the key that your in.

Thanks for the correction 4000.
By 4000is1monster Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:12 pm
A perfect 5th is actually 7 semi-tones and an interval of 9 semi-tones is actually a major 6th (a minor 6th would be 8 semi-tones).

anyway....

as soon as my local GC gets these 500's in and as soon as i scrape together some cash I cant wait to get my hands on one and make some beats at starbucks too :D (maybe dunkin donuts is more my speed though)
By Upright Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:03 am
4000is1monster wrote:A perfect 5th is actually 7 semi-tones and an interval of 9 semi-tones is actually a major 6th (a minor 6th would be 8 semi-tones).

anyway....

as soon as my local GC gets these 500's in and as soon as i scrape together some cash I cant wait to get my hands on one and make some beats at starbucks too :D (maybe dunkin donuts is more my speed though)

Doh!!....LOL......thats the last time I try to act like I know something. :oops:

Very humbled by this post ........Anyway thanks again. :D

By INA Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:22 am
such a perfect 5th, I'm glad to explain it to you...

By perennial Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:57 am
Nova just sent me an email offering it for $699 - no mention of additional shipping or not. Should i jump or counter-offer, as I have heard of some getting it for $675 and $625 from them.

By descry Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 am
perennial wrote:Nova just sent me an email offering it for $699 - no mention of additional shipping or not. Should i jump or counter-offer, as I have heard of some getting it for $675 and $625 from them.

they quoted me 699 today too, but i counter-offered for 675 and they bit. if i can cop it for 625, it'd be that much better.
By dollabillbeats Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:45 am
4000is1monster wrote:Ive seen some of you posted pics already of your own personal mpc 500, like the guy that was holding his in front of his 2500. Where/how did you get yours alreayd. My local GC didnt have one today or last friday and the local Sam Ash didnt even know what the hell I was talking about, they never heard of an mpc 500.

sam ash doesnt get the new stuff that fast.. try guitar center they get every new thing first.. besides the internet stores...
By 1Up1Down Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:21 pm
4000is1monster wrote:F# is a perfect 5th above B and it doesnt matter what key you are in. Even in Keys that dont have F# in it like C major, a perfect fifth above B is always F#.

And yes E# is a real note, you will find the note E# in the key of F#, E# is the enharmonic equivalent to F but in certain keys you have to write it as E# . Im surprised that no one on this thread knew that and all you cats make music. Then the one dude was talking about needing MIDI cables to record a guitar, Damn!

Holy smokes. Thank you. Someone on here actually knows something about music. I was laughing my ass off reading through this thread..."E is a fifth above B in the key of G major?" At no point do you even come close to sounding like you know what you're talking about. You cats need to read some books before you post on websites, because you sound like idiots.