Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By LaJProd Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:09 pm
Yoshimi wrote:
its bena wrote:why spend 800 on this little thing when you can cop a used 2500 for just $400 more...

Prove it.

Co-sign....

By episode Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:22 pm
its bena wrote:And..for the average producer..why spend 800 on this little thing when you can cop a used 2500 for just $400 more
You're stretching this statement way too far. Second hand, at least, probably $1300-1500....... maybe $1200 if you're lucky.

By INA Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:08 am
2500 is quite cheaper in europe

By J.Daniels Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:24 am
The general price would be about 700 for the 500. thats less than half the price of what someone would usually pay for the 2500.

By Sly Boogie Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:31 am
I have one here in my house! its my boys . I have a 2000 also so till we travel i probably wont do too much on it. i have played with the 500 for an hour or so we got it the first week it came out . Im hard headed to learn new things so i havent really sat down with it 4 long but what i can say is this....... its a great portable machine i love it n im gonna cop my own when it goes down in price ! cant wait.

1. Built well nice machine to look at blue screen is a plus

2.Although it is an mpc its not quite the same as the other models. ex.(trim by ear(i dont mind), not as user friendly(hard to get around the menu), 12 pads, n other small stuff

3. Same mpc feel with seq n swing

All in all it still preforms the same as n mpc it just takes getting used to the menus. overall i think its great for even with the little kinks. THERE IS NO MACHINE THAT CAN SUBSTITE THAT CLASSIC MPC FEEL N SOUND ESPECIALLY NOW ON THE GO I CANT WAIT TO DO BANGERS ON THE ROASD WITH IT I COULDNT WAIT FOR THEM TO MAKE A PORTABLE MPC> I WENT AN BOUT AN SP$)$ N I NOW REGRET IT

By diskjunkie Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 pm
Sly Boogie wrote:I WENT AN BOUT AN SP$)$ N I NOW REGRET IT

I feel you on this one, although I don't quite regret it yet. I like the effects on the 404 a lot, I may end up using it just as an effects processor or I may end up selling it when I get the MPC. Hard to say. One thing is for sure, I bought the 404 because there was no battery powered MPC at the time, otherwise there is no question I would have bought the MPC instead.

The nice thing about the MPC line is it is one of those 'modern' classics like the TB-303, the 808, the 909, the Rhodes piano, and the mini-moog. The big difference is they are still making the MPC line. Okay, moog is back in business, but they are the only one other than akai. I just like it when a company realizes what a good thing they have and that just because an instrument is electronic does not mean it should go out of production or change radically every couple of years.

It takes time to master and develop a style on an instrument, even an electronic one. If people keep changing $hit up on you it gets disruptive and gets in the way of you being able to make music. Because the MPC line has stayed in production and evolved with time, yet kept it's classic features, it has become almost as ubiquitous as a piano, guitar, B3 or any other classic instrument.