Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By diskjunkie Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:57 pm
I was thinking about how everyone is talking about how this thing is a rip-off and not worth the money and while I would like it to cost less myself, I can't really say that I think it should necessarily be less if you actually think about it. I mean its not just a sampler, and not just a sequencer. Yamaha sells a stand-alone sequencer and it is over $400.00 and the sp-404 is around $400.00, put them together and what price point do you come up with?

I mean I'm not just going to use it as a drummachine. I need to sequencer to sequence other gear. For me that's what makes this unit so cool. With this and a few other select gear you can have everything you need (if you are a minimalist like me) to make tracks and perform them live. With something like an SP-404 (which I own) I find the sequencer pretty limited and I find the fact that you can't sequence for other instrumets quite limiting.

Anyway, I think the reason many people this this is a ripoff is because some people have bought 1000s for the same price, but I don't see this unit as necessarily a downgrade from a 1000. You give up some features for portability and battery operation, thats just the way it is. I know some people just don't get the portability thing, but some of us do, and as far as I can tell AKAI have finally built the MPC I've been waiting for. I'm not saying everyone needs to get one, just that there is a target market for this thing and I think AKAI actually seem to have done quite a nice job creating a product for that market. Sure I wish it was less, but I think it is a far cry from a rip-off.

Just my 2 cents.

By its bena Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:27 pm
diskjunkie..for folks like you who fit into that target market, this is IDEAL. the sp404 is one of my favorite pieces of equipment (espeically on long bus rides) and add another gadget like this..and you're good.

as for the cost...just look at the trends, you'll feel silly if you cop one now for $800 when in a few months they'll be going for $550-$700. And..for the average producer..why spend 800 on this little thing when you can cop a used 2500 for just $400 more...(or a used 1000 for $300 less).

but thats coming from a thrift store rat..always lookin for deals.

but enjoy...i think it'd be an ill marketing technique if somone made something truly 'classic' sounding on an mpc500. then people will be like, 'oh sh*t...this things really real'..mayb u'll be the one..

By diskjunkie Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:50 pm
Bena, of course you are right about waiting for the price to come down. The only reason I don't have one at the moment is because I am waiting to see if the price will indeed come down, and by how much. Everyone loves a deal, including me.

I was just trying to point out that if you think about it its actually a lot of functionality for a little battery powered device. If you were to try to replicate its functions by buying a hardware sequencer like the Yamaha QY100 for $496.00 and sampler like the Roland SP-404 for $395.00 you would be out more money and will have two devices and not one (not as portable). Of course those devices have some functions that the 500 doesn't, the QY a XG sound set and the SP more effects, but I think some people may not even want those functions.

Like I said, I would love for it to be less money, a lot less, I was just trying to lend a little perspective that for what it is its not bad even at the price it is currently advertized at, but we will all of course wait for it to be less. :wink:

By its bena Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:14 pm
discjunkie, that makes sense...when you look at the alternative (or lack thereof). I kind of want one of these toys really bad. i feel like a kid again.

so whats this Yamaha QY 100? Sequencer but not a sampler?

By medullabuzz Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:42 pm
its bena wrote:discjunkie, that makes sense...when you look at the alternative (or lack thereof). I kind of want one of these toys really bad. i feel like a kid again.

so whats this Yamaha QY 100? Sequencer but not a sampler?

Toys??? Come on now!!!
Don't get me wrong, I feel where you're coming from, and I'll admit, I've only actually moved a beat from my 2500 to the 500 and left/moved it back once, but it was LOVELY! To be able to listen/augment at will in a completely different enviroment - shiiit - ANY environment - was just too cool.
And, I've yet to have one single issue with it otherwise. As a matter of fact - and, I realize it's only been out for a little while - but, has anyone had one bug/problem yet????? Any 1????
F**k yeah, it's a little pricey... yup, my eyes hurt after a time with that display... but, I still get a tingle down my spine when I walk up on that ****!

By strength Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 pm
medullabuzz wrote: And, I've yet to have one single issue with it otherwise. As a matter of fact - and, I realize it's only been out for a little while - but, has anyone had one bug/problem yet????? Any 1????
!

nope very solid os . i did have some saving and loading issues but i think that was my ignorance

By strength Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 am
kinda worried about the pads breakin thou givin how u have to hit em pretty hard.

By diskjunkie Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:17 pm
its bena wrote:so whats this Yamaha QY 100? Sequencer but not a sampler?

Yeah, its a stand-alone sequencer (one of few available these days it seems) that has a built in XG (expanded General MIDI) sound set.

I think people tend to discount the fact that not only can an MPC sequence its own samples, but other instruments as well. This is still a pretty big deal for some people who do performances alone to sequences or samples. I can see a few people possibly buying the 500 to either replace something like the QY or instead of it because it can sequence a a 16 part midi arrangement as well as sample.

By INA Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:49 pm
That's the point. You have a the master director in a pocket size, although it lacks midi outputs. But midi thru ooption seems to be the great unknown...

By diskjunkie Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:46 pm
INA wrote:That's the point. You have a the master director in a pocket size, although it lacks midi outputs. But midi thru ooption seems to be the great unknown...

Humm, unless I am mistaken you have at least one midi output on the 500, and using a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru you could expand that to four outputs. Or you could use the midi thru on your other devices if you have them available. I kinda like the idea of using minimal kit with this baby, maybe just it and a microKORG - both battery powered and ready for the road - in which case one output would be plenty.

By Yoshimi Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:57 pm
diskjunkie wrote:

Yeah, its a stand-alone sequencer (one of few available these days it seems) that has a built in XG (expanded General MIDI) sound set.

I wouldn't consider it a stand alone sequencer...i'd consider it a sound module / sequencer / notepad.

By diskjunkie Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:39 am
Yoshimi wrote:
diskjunkie wrote:

I wouldn't consider it a stand alone sequencer...i'd consider it a sound module / sequencer / notepad.

Oh, yeah, bad wording on my part. I guess I meant that it's not software, so one of the few hardware sequencers, among other things.

By INA Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:51 am
Yes, it has 1 output, but lacks outputs in comparison with big brothers. What I mean is It can still be a master sequencer using midi thru

By diskjunkie Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:16 pm
INA wrote:Yes, it has 1 output, but lacks outputs in comparison with big brothers. What I mean is It can still be a master sequencer using midi thru

Yup, I hear ya.