Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By strength Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:52 am
i loaded up the same project( made on the 500)in to my 1000 and played em both to compare , as far as sound quality i cant tell the difference but when i hity play on both of the at once (not connected with midi) but they were perfectly in sync to the point that it produced a phase effect, but after less then a minute they were not in sync anymore, one of them was seriously behind , not sure which but it seems like it was worth mentioning on here cause its not something that should be happening. what u guys think?

By strength Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:52 am
im sure itll sync thru midi. but just the fact that the same bpm is not interpreted the same on the two machines is weird , like i doubt that it would ever cause me any problems with makin beats but still worth noting. the 2 machines went out of sync after maybe like 8-10 bars so its fractions of a second difference

By Upright Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:41 am
:? :?

Or maybe it was just a fluke. :?
I would experiment with a couple different songs and see if you get the same results.
By solah Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:36 pm
strength wrote:i loaded up the same project( made on the 500)in to my 1000 and played em both to compare , as far as sound quality i cant tell the difference but when i hity play on both of the at once (not connected with midi) but they were perfectly in sync to the point that it produced a phase effect, but after less then a minute they were not in sync anymore, one of them was seriously behind , not sure which but it seems like it was worth mentioning on here cause its not something that should be happening. what u guys think?

just because you expieremented using your fingers it doesnt mean its not in sync.....let it go...make some beats. Your left and right hand are not going to hit the buttons exactly at the MILLIONTTH of the second...

By episode Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:17 pm
I bet if you tried syncing up two of the exact same MPCs (no midi) you'll get the same result. It's quite impossible for two things to be sync'd forever, even if they do start at the exact same time. As someone mentioned, even a millisecond off will be noticable over a period of time.

By Upright Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:40 pm
I think what he's saying here is that the mpc's even though they both are reading 90 bpm( for example) one of them is playing back at 89.9. With this problem it would be impossible for them to stay in sync more than just a few bars(without a midi connection). A millisecond off would not sound off over time if both are running a the same bpm. One would have to be running slower thus making the 1 millisecond gap at the start continue to grow over time the longer it plays the bigger the gap would become.

By episode Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:31 pm
Technically, yes, but what I'm saying is that it's near impossible for two things to play EXACTLY AT THE SAME SPEED, perfectly in sync, despite what brand, model, or if the bpm is the same or not.

By INA Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:25 am
It's called finger delay

By cre8tive Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:13 am
INA wrote:It's called finger delay
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

By medullabuzz Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 pm
No two clocks will ever clock exactly the same over time - this is why sync was created, whether it's MTC, MIDI Beat Clock, SMPTE, Word Clock (digital SMPTE without SPP and transport control), S/PDIF or ADAT. They're all to make two or more pieces of gear clock at the same ratio - right along with the Master device.

By Upright Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Well there is good news. The new OS gives you tighter timing under high polyphony??? Maybe there is a timing issue with the 500 after all. :D To be honest I haven't notice any timing problems.

By Lumpy Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:19 am
you will not get two of any units to stay in sync when free running like this.

This will not work with two protools systems, two roland disk recorders, two tape machines, or two MPC's.

If it would work, there would be no reason to have word clock, digital sync, SMPTE or MTC.