Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By 4000is1monster Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:06 am
I saw the mpc 500 at my local guitar center last night for the 1st time and fell in love with it. It was very easy to navigate and the fact that the screen is only 2 lines did not make it hard or confusing which was a nice surprise to me. Within about 5 minutes I had sequenced a nice lil beat with the sounds they had loaded up it, in short.... I WANT ONE!!!!

The thing that was weird though was that ... when i went to the trim page I couldnt find out how to set the play back mode of the sample (no loop, loop & one shot), when I got home I downloaded the PDF manual from the Akai website and found out that you have to go to the program page to set the sample playback mode there. I only have experience with the 4000 so maybe it is like this with all other mpc's? or is this some little quirk with the 500 only?

anyway... to my main question

Since the 4000 doesnt have a CF slot on it... at 1st I was thinking Id have to buy one of thoes CF card --> USB cable things and then plug that into the front panel of my 4000 where the USB port is. Then I started thinking, why go through all that... maybe I could just plug the 500 directly into the front panel of the 4000 and it would be seen as just anothe "mass storage device", Like when I plug my little PNY 1GB flash memory stick into the front of the 4000.

Does anyone know if this will work?

By pt3r Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:06 am
That has actually a very good chance to work since the 4000 supports usb mass storage devices and the 500 can be recognized by your computer as a usb mass storage device. I'd say give it a try.
By boomspot Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:49 am
4000is1monster wrote:I saw the mpc 500 at my local guitar center last night for the 1st time and fell in love with it. It was very easy to navigate and the fact that the screen is only 2 lines did not make it hard or confusing which was a nice surprise to me. Within about 5 minutes I had sequenced a nice lil beat with the sounds they had loaded up it, in short.... I WANT ONE!!!!

The thing that was weird though was that ... when i went to the trim page I couldnt find out how to set the play back mode of the sample (no loop, loop & one shot), when I got home I downloaded the PDF manual from the Akai website and found out that you have to go to the program page to set the sample playback mode there. I only have experience with the 4000 so maybe it is like this with all other mpc's? or is this some little quirk with the 500 only?

anyway... to my main question

Since the 4000 doesnt have a CF slot on it... at 1st I was thinking Id have to buy one of thoes CF card --> USB cable things and then plug that into the front panel of my 4000 where the USB port is. Then I started thinking, why go through all that... maybe I could just plug the 500 directly into the front panel of the 4000 and it would be seen as just anothe "mass storage device", Like when I plug my little PNY 1GB flash memory stick into the front of the 4000.

Does anyone know if this will work?

There's only one way to find out.

By pt3r Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:34 am
Yes I'll go out and buy a mpc 4000 and a 500 and check it out :lol:

By medullabuzz Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:44 pm
Sorry pt3r, I couldn't wait !!! LOL!!

The 4000 definately 'sees' the MPC500 but of course it's not recognizing the MPC500 programs or a .ALL. I can load samples and it should recognize and be able to use .MID files.

This is too cool !!!

By medullabuzz Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:07 pm
This means it should also work on my 2500 (I haven't checked yet) and should therefore work with a 1000.

By pt3r Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:57 pm
Yes the 4000 should also be able to 'see' the 2500 and or 1000 as a usb mass storage device. But the 1000 nor the 2500 will be able to see the 500 since they only have a use slave connector.