Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Victor101 Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:25 am
On the real, I've read this section of the manual about fifty times, But I'm not getting the saving process. First of, I save Entire Memory to a Projecto1, Project02, etc....The problem is, that the last beat I did always pulls up, and not the previous one I was working on.

So what I'm asking is, how do I need to save my Entire Memory Project files, in order to pull up different projects? Cause so far, everytime I save somthin what I did last will pull up. And YO!! I know there is a Replace files.. option that it gives, and If I say yes it will save over my previous beat even if I put it to a different Project number, like Project 02, 03 or whatever. I create new folders for each beat, So someone please put me up on how I need to save all my different projects, so when I save after making a beat, I can pull up the previous day, or hours work...Your help will be much appreciated, thanks, Vic.

By Upright Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:28 pm
Ok.........are you saving to a Compact Flash card? It sounds like your saving to the interal memory which in that case everytime you save there it is going to overwrite the previous saved data.You'll need to get yourself a CF card to save different projects. :D

By Victor101 Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:40 pm
Thanks, Upright, But I dont see the CF card as an option. But then again I'm using the 128 Akai CF card that came with the unit. So Do I need to get one outside of the akai one just to save to the CF Card? I mean I'm not saving to the internal memory, I'm saving it to what I thought was the CF card. But I'm not seeing the CF card as an option. But I do see the option to save Internally. Which I am not doing, so please clarify a bit more, thanks, Victor.

By Upright Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:08 pm
Try this:

save entire mem.

Press 'do it'

Now create a new folder. to do this turn your data wheel until the screen says new folder. So the screen should look like this

New folder
<Fil:
press the cursor button Left(<) until the screen reads:

New folder
<Fld:

now press"Doit"

at this point name your folder.

always save under Fld not under fil and always create a new folder so you can keep track of where you are saving.

Hope this helps. :D

By Victor101 Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:13 am
I did that, and when I create the new folder I see it under the name that I save it. But it'll say save to fil: Project01. So I hit the < button to get back to Fold: Beat 1 that I named the folder. I hit save. But no matter what I pull it up, and it'll be that same beat, that I just saved, but the previous two or three beats all pull up, as the last one I just created.... So I'll try it again....If its not any trouble, tell me how your beats are organized. Say if you got 10, 20, 30 beats how are they filed. Because from reading here I know I have to create a new folder for each beat. But all my folders pull up the same Beat.....So thanks, for your feed back, and any more advice will be a big help. I swear I've searched these boards and the manual. But hopefully its somthing I'm doing wrong somewhere that can be fixed. thanks, Vic.

By Victor101 Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:36 am
What I mean is when I save under folder, it will say Beat 5 folder, or whatever I named it, but then, it'll say File name Project01, but after that, the problem is it'll say replace file, (Yes or NO). If I hit no nothing happens If I hit yes, whatever I just did gets saved, and it overwrites all 4 previous beat to the exact same sequence I just made, and the previous four are lost. But I do it exactly how you say, so I just want to know what I'm doing wrong :roll: Please help, thanks, Vic.

By Upright Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:04 am
Maybe your problem isn't with your saving but with your loading.Turn your auto load function off.

to do so turn the data wheel all the way to the right and turn this function off.this may be causing a problem, turn it off for now untill we figure out the problem.You can turn this back on later if you feel the need to.

How are you loading? what are the exact steps you're doing?

By Victor101 Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:20 am
Upright, its not the autoload either, I turned that off the first day I got it, loading those wack presets :lol: . But yo I think I may have it. When I save the Entire Memory, I created a new folder, Beats 7, 8, 9 etc....But I took the same program and rearranged the sequences of each. So I could tell if my replace all would effect the previous folders projects. And it didn't :lol: So, hopefully if I'm right the same will happen with different samples and what not. So on one project, I changed the tempo a few BPM's and it saved the new BPM setting, while my previous folders kept thier original settings. Also like I said I re-arranged samples, and this seemed to have worked as well, as my previous folders kept thier sequences, while my newer setting where preserved with what I saved them as. Where I was confused was you said to never save my folder to the fil: section. And I didn't, so my folder would read Fld:Beat 9> Project01. So for the moment, I think I may have figured it out :shock: I hope so, I'll post back up, after I make some new sample programs and save those, with completly different samples and sequences....hope it works, Yo Upright, thanks, for the help so far, and for not clowning me for being an MPC Newbie :lol:

By Upright Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:27 am
Let me know how things work out for you. I think you may have gotten it.
Don't worry I had a little trouble saving at first too once you try a couple of different experiments with it you should be able to figure out the problem. :D

Another great suggestion is to get a CF card reader for your PC this will allow you to view the exact way that the files and folders are saved on each CF card you have.The PC gives a much better view of the files and folders on the card. :D

By Victor101 Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:15 am
I think I may have it :) . I just completed a different beat with different samples and programs, and it saved as it should, and all my previous projects are playing as they should. Whew, I feel like a weight has been lifted of my shoulder, I'm tellin ya, I was trippin for real of hella basic stuff. Oh well, I hope this continues to work, and its smooth sailing from hear on out 8) . Oh yeah, I need to pick up a CF reader, I read on hear that their cheap, and plus I would probably want to update from the card reader, because my music computer has never seen any parts of the internet....I've heard to many virus horror stories, and I surf the net with my older model, but yeah the card reader is a must now. Thanks again, Peace.

By Upright Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:57 am
LOL.......I am glad everything is working out now!!!1 8) 8)