Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By jbplaya Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:47 pm
Mannie Fresh is now officially one of the newest users of the MPC 500. He picked one up along with a Korg Micro X at the Guitar Center around my way on Thursday (Houston, Tx. Westheimer GC). That just goes to show you that now that Mannie's usin the 500, you can be a super producer with yours too :wink: .

By Upright Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:55 pm
LOL.

By Upright Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Nice......with all that time on the 500 at work we can expect more heat from you!!1

By Upright Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:29 am
^^How long until you pick one up??

By jbplaya Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:09 pm
What?? Coley-Cole bringin the heat? Ooh, ooh, I wanna hear! And Upright, I used to live right by you in Moreno Valley. I used to stay in that San Bernardino GC. How you likin that 500? Is the quantize kind of funny like the 2500??

By Upright Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:36 pm
^Word. The 500 is really nice man, I like it alot. It's nice to be able to make tracks outside my home studio!!1

By Yoshimi Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:50 pm
Any producer who travels will buy one...I would think. Unless they are too busy drinking whatever people drink these days in first class or on private planes. That said, I knew he would buy it... he is the only one who I have seen in Scratch magazine who admits to using the MPC1000 as well.

By Dj-FSC Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:18 pm
^^ Yea thats true. Since traveling by plane is becoming a pain in the ass these days then the 500 would be the smart way to go. Unless they already have gear to use at the place they are going to.

By Murahachibu Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:32 pm
Count Bass D is looking to get one as well. He posted it in his forum recently. I recommened the MPC1K with the JJ OS though. :twisted:

By 2KXL4life Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:57 pm
yea man i heard dr.dre sold all his mpc3000 and bought 10 mpc 500 :roll:

By jbplaya Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:01 pm
Got to mess with the 500 finally this weekend, and I have to say I personally like it better than those new MP's out (2500,1000). It's a little weird getting around at first, but once you figure it out, it still has mostly all the features of the bigger two. The one thing I really like is this is exactly how an MPC should groove and swing. Something about the quantize on the 1k's and especially the 25k I don't like. Especially the 25k. If that isn't the most off-beat drum machine I've ever heard. And why won't it start recording exactly on the 1:00:000??? And let's just say the complicated rhythm patterns I put in the 1K gives me puzzled looks when I hear it replayed back. But being a former drummer myself, I can say the 500 is dead on when it comes to it's swing and quantize. Love the size too. I was also surprised to see it has nearly all the features of it's big brothers save for zoning. Man, i love the size, feel, and features of the 2500 and wish the quantize was on point like a 2KXL or a Roger Linn. For sure I would cop one. But when your beat machine can't even stay on beat, you're going to have problems. 500 all day for the new breed of MP's.

By its bena Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:58 pm
@jbplaya....

Especially the 25k. If that isn't the most off-beat drum machine I've ever heard. And why won't it start recording exactly on the 1:00:000???

i disagree. the machines are of the same family...same DNA so to speak...the 500's quantize isnt better than the 2500...just means there may have been a bug in your 2500 or you couldnt figure out how to work it.

i owned a 2500 and it swinged fine when i programmed drums..

everything else you say i agree with...i actually want a 500 for xmas, provided the price goes down to the $500 range.

By Upright Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:15 pm
its bena wrote:@jbplaya....

Especially the 25k. If that isn't the most off-beat drum machine I've ever heard. And why won't it start recording exactly on the 1:00:000???

i disagree. the machines are of the same family...same DNA so to speak...the 500's quantize isnt better than the 2500...just means there may have been a bug in your 2500 or you couldnt figure out how to work it.

i owned a 2500 and it swinged fine when i programmed drums..

everything else you say i agree with...i actually want a 500 for xmas, provided the price goes down to the $500 range.

It won't drop to the 500$ range especially before christmas.I'm not sure if the 500 will drop at all. do they ever drop in price on the sales floor??

I own both the 2500 and the 500, both machines have the same timing same DNA like you said.