Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By FullSailStdnt99 Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:08 am
Hey guys,

How's everything...

Basically, just copped the new 500, so far, so good. It's my first MPC, and I love this little thing. Not to mention, the portability factor makes things 10x better.

But I have an issue. I keep coming up with "Insufficient Memory" Problems when trying to load a sample.

This shit straight up kills my creative flow, so I was wondering... To all the MPC masters out there... What the **** can I do, to either Keep this from happening... Or what can I do to free up Memory?????

I tried deleting a program, but I just ended up losing a really nice beat.

So PLEASE, fill me in guys, step by step instructions are the best.

Appreciate it !

By mnh2410 Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 am

What size files are u loading or how much do you have loaded(total size)? If you havent already done so then u need to upgrade to the 128mb expansion. The mpc comes stock with only 16mb of ram.

Nicole

By Upright Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:25 am
Well first of all did you turn the auto load function off?? If not the 500 is loading the preset memory that it comes with every time you turn it on.

If your not sure if the auto-load is off then more than likely this is your problem.If you know it's off then you problem is you need more ram. :D :D

By FullSailStdnt99 Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:49 am
Yeah, basically I just figured part of it out. What I did, was take a loop from Reason, and converted it to WAV and uploaded it onto my MPC.

The problem was, the loops was mad big, I had actually looped it like 4 times on Reason.

So what I'm doing now, is I'm deleting all the loops, then going back into Reason and just recording it as 1 loop, THEN I'll make the transfer. That should save me some space...

And yeah, I'm probably about to get the Expansion tommorow. Question tho: Is there a specific expansion JUST for the 500 series? or can I take any 1000 Expansion and use it for 500?

Hey, appreciate the reply guys, this forum is pretty tight...

By descry Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:53 am
the akai exm128 is the only expansion memory for the mpc500. it's the exact same memory as the expansion for the 1000 and 2500.

By Upright Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:56 pm
FullSailStdnt99 wrote:
And yeah, I'm probably about to get the Expansion tommorow. Question tho: Is there a specific expansion JUST for the 500 series? or can I take any 1000 Expansion and use it for 500?

Actually you have a lot of ram choices both 128 and 256MB aftermarket ram will work. I personally use the Akai 128MB ram. When I first went to buy the ram it was 150.00$, I believe the price has come down considerably since the. Last time I checked which was about a month ago it was 90.00$.

Here is a really infromative thread concerning ram. Reading through this thread should help you make your decision on the ram. Hope this helps. :D

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php ... &start=285