Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Upright Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:40 pm
^^Got cha' 8) 8)

By threshed Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:21 pm
sampie wrote:thanks again! . -
Upright, I would have the mpc500 for sequencing various vsti's and I would like to split up the midi channels to different pads. So that in one program on the mpc I can play vst's assigned to different midi channels

its best to have each instrument on its own midi channel to keep the function of track muting which will make composition and tracking out your audio much easier. also look into the options of your vst instruments and host daw, because more than likely you will be able to set each of the vsts on the same midi channel but only respond to a set span of keys or keygroup within that midi channel. or set them to respond this way using a midi filter withing your daw. this is if you are using vst synths. if your using vst samplers just adjust the key groups of the samples to your liking and use a seperate sample module for each sound and have them all to a single channel.. i always use to make each key group span a single pad bank so i could swith pad banks. but considering your going to have to switch pad banks you should just switch tracks and do it the right way and have an instrument per track. enough with the ranting, hope it helps

By descry Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:40 pm
sampie wrote:thanks dawgz.
Actually the reason i have thought about the whole midi channel per pad is because I would want the 500 to control all my software synths. The akai mpd24 says it will allow different midi channels per pads. Maybe I will wait for that to come out. But I really need a good hardware sequencer so I am torn between the mpd24, and the mpc500.

you're still not making any sense. the mpd doesn't sequence, it's just a controller. if you're asking if the mpc500 can work as a midi controller, then the answer is yes. the only thing different about the mpd24 compared to the mpc500 is that it can't sequence (and that has less pads...blah blah blah)

you cant control vst paramaters with an mpc, that's not what it was designed to do, if you want something like that you have to invest in a mackie control universal w/ a c4 add on or some other digital control board.

if you're talking about playing vsti's from your mpc and having it act like a midi controller, then yes you can do that--each pad is a certain midi note.

By sampie Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:48 pm
simply put the mpd24 allows you to assign different midi channels per PAD. The mpc500 i found out does not. Got my answer, thanks.
One.

By Upright Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:23 pm
sampie wrote:simply put the mpd24 allows you to assign different midi channels per PAD. The mpc500 i found out does not. Got my answer, thanks.
One.

I think you mean notes not channels. Whats the point of having a midi channel on a pad?? :?