Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By charliecowper Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:31 am
hello does anybody know if it is possible to sample stuff whilst the sequence is playing?

Is it possible for example, to have a drum sequence playing whilst recording something like a guitar, in-time with the drums?

hope i make sense.

many thanks.

charlie.

By enotide Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:20 am
No, you'll have to use a multitrack, then resample from that or make a wav of the guitar track.
You have to choose what mode your in, Sample mode or Sequence mode.

By Upright Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:21 am
Sounds like the direct record feature that is on the Mpc 2500 I don't think this is possible with the mpc 500. :(

By Upright Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:23 am
enotide wrote:No, you'll have to use a multitrack, then resample from that or make a wav of the guitar track.
You have to choose what mode your in, Sample mode or Sequence mode.

I use this multitrack method anyway, even though I have the 2500 and can direct record. More freedom and options with the mutitrack. :)

By Jessiah Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:30 pm
I think this actually IS possible. I have the MPC1000 though... but all should do this:

When your in the record screen, just hip the play or playstart button and it should play the open sequence. This will NOT effect what you are recording. Ive done this before on the 1000 and the 2000 I believe... check it out buddy!

By Avene Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:06 am
Yes, you can do this. Or at least you can sample the direct outs which I've done before.
By charliecowper Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:15 pm
thanks for the advice guys, i tried pressing play whilst in sample mode on my 2000xl (don't yet own a 500) and it just flipped back to the main screen. i won't move this discussion into 2000xl territory in this forum.

is this function on the 2500 simply an OS feature? do you think it would be possible to write it JJ style for other MPCs?

finally got to play with the 500 yesterday and i think its great!

has anyone tried plugging a mic straight into it using the mic/line switch?

i finally see what people on this forum mean about the different feel of the new style pads.

thanks again.

By jbplaya Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:58 pm
You can hit play and have the sequencer going while in record mode on the 500. I found this out by accident messing with the 500 in GC.

By Upright Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:32 pm
^^ I think it's called resampling. I guess you can resample the sequences you lay down with the 500.

By enotide Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:32 pm
This is not possible on the 2KXL, so that's why I said to Multitrack it.
I haven't really tried it on the 500, but it looks like you may be able to sample while playing a Seq.
It might be a new thing added to the New OS', on all the newer machines.