Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By doniguan Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:48 pm
does anyone here know why a new program defaults all the velocity levels to 70, versus 100? is there a way to adjust that? Ive been working with a lot of samples from records that are at low levels, and they're almost barely audible at 70 velocity. (compared to samples built into the mpc)

has anyone else had this problem?

By enotide Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:39 pm
You'll probably have to set up your own Program, with all the basic settings you like.
I have a "Basic PGM" in the 2KXL that has most of everything where I want it, ie levels, MIDI note numbers, etc.
I need to make a defined one for the 500, just haven't done it yet.

By doniguan Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:59 pm
you can have the mpc default to a basic program? I didnt find anything like that in the manual...guess ill get back to reading it again!

Thanks!

By Upright Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:54 am
No not default, create. You will have to set everything up the way you want it and then save it. My question is can this be saved to the internal ram and set on auto-load??

sorry didn't answer your question.....Yes all my samples are at 70 as well bugs the heck out of me too!!1

great Idea enotide!! thanks!!1

By enotide Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:38 am
Yeah I think you can set one up save it internally, then auto load it.
You might want to clear the internal sounds, so they don't load.
Or you might be able to auto load off of the CF, I'll have to check into that idea.

By Upright Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:56 am
Yeah I turned auto-load off a few weeks ago, so at bootup my 500 loads up absolutely nothing. So now what I'll do is change everything to my liking, save it to internal ram and turn auto load back on. This should keep everything blank as far as samples, but save the settings that I change. We'll see.

By Upright Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:36 am
Ok......can any of you guys figure out how to clear the internal ram of the samples that are on it from the factory?? I believe it is impossible to clear any sounds that are in the internal ram. You can save new sounds to the internal ram but you can't clear the sounds.

I had a great idea , but because of the samples in memory it won't work:
Check it.

Another thing I don't like about the 500 is how the tracks don't say 'unused' when there is no data on them.

I have a great fix for this which is, loading up blank mpc 2500 sequences to the 500. It works like a charm, all of the tracks now say unused and not to mention all of the programs pads are now at 100 percent velocity. :D

Next I save it all to the internal ram on the 500
Under the following menu

Save:To internal
All sq&song

No problem there. :D

My next move from here to complete everything is to save in the following menu

Save:To internal
All pg&smpl

Big problem here. :cry:
Since there are no samples in the blank sequences and programs loaded from the 2500 it will not save to this menu.

I get a flashing warning:

No samples in memory!!

So now I cannot turn the auto load on to load the new settings because it loads the akai samples everytime.

Maybe I overlooked something, if you guys know of a way to clear the internal ram please let me know!!

By doniguan Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:56 pm
this seems like a strange problem.

is the 500 the only mpc that defaults to 70 velocity?

Maybe we could write to akai about making a change in the OS, or figure out how to hack the ram....