Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:45 am
Hey guys, I'm trying to hook up my MPC500 to my laptop via USB. I got the save/load mode on the MPC and it says: USB: Connected - Unfortunately when I plug it in, the drive doesn't pop up. I see a message, "USB Device Not Recognized." I know that the memory card is supposed to just read as a drive, but Windows XP seems to be having trouble identifying it. Also got the same message trying on my desktop computer running XP Pro. Any help!?

By doniguan Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:53 pm
are you able to mount the compact flash card directly? (not inside the machine?)

By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:50 pm
I don't have a CF reader, so no.
By Upright Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:48 pm
eski44 wrote:Hey guys, I'm trying to hook up my MPC500 to my laptop via USB. I got the save/load mode on the MPC and it says: USB: Connected - Unfortunately when I plug it in, the drive doesn't pop up.

From the way your describing your process above, your pluging your mpc to the laptop after you acess the USB function of the mpc 500. If this is the way you are doing it, I would connect the USB cable first then access the USB function.

By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:59 pm
I did that as well. No luck.

By Upright Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:01 pm
Wow that sinks...maybe it's something with your laptop.Do you have a desktop available to try there. This way you can make sure it's not your 500. :D

By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 pm
I tried it with my laptop, which is a dual-core Acer 8204, and on my desktop. Same problem. I will try the same on my other desktop and my roommate's computer as well. If I get the same problem on all of them I guess I'll assume that there is something wrong with the 500.

Just to clarify, the CF card that ships with the 500 is a regular old CF card with some factory samples on it correct? I mean, you can format it and it's just an empty 128MB CF card right?

By lovesign Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:10 pm
It also contains, amongst some other great sounds, a back up of the Internal sounds, should you ever need to restore them, but yes, it's a regular CF card :)
Last edited by lovesign on Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 pm
Well then, yep - My computer ain't readin it.

By eski44 Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:06 pm
Also forgot to mention - I tried a different USB cable and also tried it on my friend's Mac iBook - neither worked.

By Upright Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:30 am
Hopefully you bought it at GC ,this way you won't have to deal with shipping it off somewhere. I believe they give you 15 days to find any problems with the unit, you should be able to take it back and exchange it within this time frame. :D