Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By jowdjo Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:38 am
How easy is choping on mpc 500?
( the lcd its to thin, ive never saw how to chop on 500...)
anybody got a movie, or can make one?
I think im not the one who wanna see. :D
Peace. :roll:

By oraziodelcore Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:50 pm
It's not as easy as editing on a computer but its still fairly possible, even advanced editing
as long as you are using your ears.

otherwise there are always tons of computer program U can do the editing on.

peace

By Upright Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:14 pm
It's not hard at all.....takes a little longer than bigger mpc's(1000 and 2500)....like orazi said just use your ears.

By DJStylus Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:38 pm
I'm just upping this because it's a point worth co-signing on.

USE YOUR EARS.

maybe it's because I'm a dj so we're obsessive about that sort of thing but chopping by number really isn't that hard. loop your sample and adjust your start, end and loop points until they sound smooth. I figured out that downtuning trick years ago on the ASR-X.

a question... do any of the MPCs have an auto zero crossing setting? meaning that it'll place any of the numerical increments at a zero crossing where possible. finding zero crossings faster is a benefit of waveform editing.

chop at a zero crossing = smooth edit with no artifacts ("clicks" in your loop)

I edit samples in my computer now but the benefit isn't so much in the chopping as it is being able to quickly get rid of noise and hiss from samples taken from old records. this sort of processing really brings clarity to my completed songs and makes my engineer happy. makes your drums hit harder too when there's no garbage frequencies in the way!

By its bena Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:36 pm
Jowdo...chopping on an MPC 500 is like chopping on an MPC60 & some other older samplers. its done with numbers. ST point is 0, and lets say the END point is 100.

If you want to chop a kck snare that is a few seconds in...you adjust the start point until the beggining of the kick, and the end point to the end of the kick...

so your ST point may be 25 and END pt 45. extract that out to new sound....go back to original, and keep adjusting start and end points until you have all the sounds you want...and then you can get down to assembling sounds in the sequencer, and doing what you do.

its MUCH faster on a computer...but more hands on with the MPC. Patience is key.

By jowdjo Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:48 pm
Now I know, :D, sometimes I chop at my computer, its more easy...