Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:58 pm
wussup all.
so i am an avid user of ableton live 5.0.1(before i got busted for using the crack.) with a padkontrol.
used to have the 2kxl and honestly made much better trks on the laptop.
but now we have the portability issue which makes me wonder,
for example,
if i was making some hiphop a la Madlib style,
just dusty loops , chops and drums(layered)
would u still spend your money on gettin ableton live 6(with the instrument upgrades+im using my student discount so its half off)
or the 500.

of course both are portable/battery powered.
but one is 2 pieces i gotta carry(laptop/padkontrol)
other is solo.

so which is it then for those who use or have used both these options.?

thanks in advance.

By jowdjo Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:47 pm
it dependes on ur likes?
I produc in FLstudio for 3 years, And Im using mpc 500 for 2weeks ago... and personally I prefer produce at mpc500... u got other "feeling".. but u just have to think about it.. but sometimes I feel u everytime need your PC.

By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:52 pm
part of the reason i didnt like the xl at the time i had it was lack of fx.
then was on fl for like 4-5 yrs
then ableton was my new beast b4 the bust :roll:

i wont lie i love the workflow in ableton live.
but its the damn portability of the 500 which is needed.
so i duno.

By strength Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:09 pm
i never used live but used reason and cubase extenssively before i got my first mpc and i prefer the mpc but sounds like u r really into live and u might find the mpc limiting. if u enjoy an abundance of options stick with software i personally find too many options to be distracting and enjoy workin with limitations, it makes u more creative . but i think u already know all this and just lookin for justification to buy an mpc so just do it

By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:12 pm
hahaha.

its like peer pressure im waiting for.

By strength Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:54 pm
com'on man all the cool kids got one

By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:56 pm
see remember i was usin a 2kxl and didnt feel inspired, wanted to see it in front on screen. but now after so much time on the software sumtimes u want a hardware unit like mp in front of u.

cant afford a 2500 tho.

hows the 500 for u.

for live shows and etc/.

By strength Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:17 pm
i really cant logically explain why but i prefer makin beats on an mpc to a computer program. maybe its because i wanted one for a long asss time and couldnt afford it.....plus i just like the hands on factor. if u do a live show u can have the mpc 500 rock as the midi sequencer to control all ur software synths and stuff off ur laptop . one thing about the mpc's that seems superior to anything else out there is the sequencer timing. but other then that theres no logical reason to get one especially if ure really comfortable with what u use now,

check this out for further reaserch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZAg-QjQrKI

By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:21 pm
yo i seen that video those doods actually make u not wanna touch an mpc.

but u been a great deal of help man.

ima look into it.

By strength Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:42 pm
no doubt im actually contemplating either a laptop or a 500 myself. i love the 500 but it just an insane ammount of money to drop just for the portability. but i dont think its overpriced, its just hard to justify buying it instead of a laptop that can do so much more.

By strength Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:48 pm
btw u said u got busted using the cracked program, how did u get busted and what happened if u dont mind me askin

By Contra Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:52 pm
i was on the internet usin the program at the same time, annd it put sumthinn on my comp that wouldnt let me reopen it.

By jowdjo Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:46 am
Contra wrote:hahaha.

its like peer pressure im waiting for.

ahaha, lol.
"The pressure, you gotta deal with peer pressure..." mobb deep ft. primo :D
hhm...

I still sayin' that in vstservice.com they make very very good prices (included 128mb card)... Give a try... (Im satisfied)

By strength Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:14 am
Contra wrote:i was on the internet usin the program at the same time, annd it put sumthinn on my comp that wouldnt let me reopen it.

o ok