Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By sampie Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:25 pm
I got the following error message and my mpc500 froze

INV. gen. inst.
PC(a6008c74)

I was not doing anything specific. just hitting the pads etc. I had to reboot. Anyone else get a similar message? thanks

By jowdjo Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 pm
I never had something like that :S
But, It gives you all times? and when?

By sampie Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:43 pm
i spoke with akai, and they told me to take out the exm128 and see if the error still happens. He said it could be bad ram , but i am not sure. It happened twice to me. I was not doing anything specific like loading sounds . Just listening back to some beats, and hitting the pads etc. I hope it is just the ram and not my machine. Thanks for the response. I checked the archive to the forum and it looks like Upright got a similar error message when loading an mpc2500 program into the 500. But i am not doing anything like that.

By jowdjo Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm
u still have the warranty?

By sampie Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:56 pm
yeah i still have the warranty. Now i wonder how it works - if its the machine do they give u a new one? or just fix it. Anyways if i take out the ram and i still get the message then i will send it in.

By jowdjo Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:32 pm
sampie wrote:yeah i still have the warranty. Now i wonder how it works - if its the machine do they give u a new one? or just fix it. Anyways if i take out the ram and i still get the message then i will send it in.

I think its better u dont "mix" inside the machine, if u dont want to loose ur warranty..
I think they give u a new if u bought in the last 15 days, If not, the machine goes for them and they will solve the prob..
Am I right?

By Upright Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:35 pm
I got error messages when I loaded data made on my mpc 2500 to the mpc 500.

By jowdjo Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:54 am
Upright wrote:I got error messages when I loaded data made on my mpc 2500 to the mpc 500.

I cant tell u nothing about that, coz im new with mpc's and I just have a 500. :S
But the prob of Sampie is not that.. I think?!?

By sampie Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:13 am
thanks, I think Upright had a similar message and freeze when loading samples from the 2500. My error read :
INV. gen. inst.
PC(a6008c74)
and i cannot say that i was in load mode. I believe i was just scrolling thru some menus in the program screen. It sucks cause i am trying to reproduce the error. I will keep u posted on if it happens again tonite.

By sampie Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:14 am
OK I figured out how to reproduce this error message. It only happens when i have the 128meg chip installed. Here is where it happened:
loaded up one of the demo programs. Loaded the demo sequence. Play the sequence. As the sequence is playing i hit mode record, and as it was on this page I hit note repeat and one of the pads kept it going a few seconds then bam crash. It only happens when i have the ram chip installed. Can anyone who has 128megs try this and see if they get the same error. I wanna see if it is a problem with my ram chip or if it is a bug. Thanks!!!!!

By sampie Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:23 am
Actually I dont even have to be hitting a pad with note repeat. All i do is playback a sequence then as its playing hit mode and record(Pad 4). a few seconds later it crashes.

By Upright Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 am
Ok just tried it just like you said

1. loaded a sequence

2. press play

3. press mode and pad 4 (rec) while sequence is playing

mine did not crash, I waited like 30 or so seconds

I have 128MB ram installed but it is Kingston ram and not official Akai ram.

I also have the updated OS(ver 1.11)

hope this helps :D

By sampie Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:38 am
thanks for trying. Well maybe it is bad ram i have from akai. I am on v.1.11 as well. hmmm lets see if anyone with the akai ram has the problem. If not i am just gonna get a 256mb kingston chip and try it. If it still happens then i know its my machine. I hope not though.

By sampie Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:59 am
Upright- i hate to be pain in the ass but can you do me a solid and try that again with one of the demo songs from the akai cf card. Load up the DJhipset program, then load all seq and songs. play the djhip sequence. Hit mod and pad 4. Then do some note repeats with different pads/ The reason i ask is because i am starting to think it happens with note heavy sequences. Thanks dawgz!

By jowdjo Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:58 pm
:?:
It's possible to install Kingston Ram's on MPC 500?
What models and how much Mhz? 133?