Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Contra Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:28 am
nice review,
i ended up buying live 6 with sampler and operator, with moog minimonsta and padkontrol. BUT!
when tax time comes im gettin my mpc 500.

beats at the gas station while my dad works coming soon.

By sighup Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:42 pm
Hey, that's me!

Glad to see some folk enjoyed the review.

Cheers,
Steve

By Antonym Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:30 pm
this is a well written review.

one tip - you're right that akai ignored the synth aspect of these samplers, but using the sequencer, you actually have a pretty handy little synth. load a sine wav, square wav, triangle wav, etc. put 2 on one pad and put one a full octave above at lower volume. set it with an lfo on volume at a low level but quick repeat so it gives it variance.

noow copy this pad to several others. adjust the tune of these pads so that you have the notes of a simple melody. i often use this kind of thing for a bassline.

next, turn it to NOTE ON and adjust the decay so that it's not REALLY long but so that it's a nice fade. now, tap out the melody - hold it for your long notes, tap it for your short stuttery notes.

once you have your simply melody skeleton, get funky. put on a filter and one pad at a time, record some interesting filter maneuvers. same with tune. you can have one pad bend down to meet the next note,, etc.

you'll get quick at this. it uses the sequencer to emulate a synth on the mpcs.

good review, man.
nym

By earwolf Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:15 am
excellent review, great 'tone'