Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By nadafarm Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:51 am
I am wondering how much smaller the screen size of the 500 is compared to the 1000?

I want to buy my first mpc for sequencing and live use. I want to get the 500 but I am afraid the screen size is too small and it could make it harder to see and perform on in a live situation?

The screen looks a lot smaller on the 500 and I wonder if the navigation and all the fonts are alot smaller too? Is it harder to navigate menus etc. because of the smaller size?
By strength Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:23 am
nadafarm wrote: Is it harder to navigate menus etc. because of the smaller size?

yea its not as quick, each mode on the 1000 displays a bunch of parameters and there are 6 buttons for these, to access all of thesse on the 500 u have to scroll thru menus as the 500 only displays 1 or 2 things on the screen at the same time. but ive been hearing people say they get used to ithis real fast and it becomes second nature
Last edited by strength on Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

By rydan Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:25 am
The displays are entirely different. Instead of a fully graphic one, you get two lines of text. However, the menu system (and the entire MPC) is adjusted to work with this, so it's not as bad as I thought it would be, it's pretty easy to get by with the display I think.

However, if battery power is not a big issue for you, get a bigger one instead. The way I see it, the ONLY selling point of the 500 over the 1000 is the battery power (and possibly more reliable pad construction). That said, the battery power might be a big thing! The 500 is the only MPC I own, and it has absolutely nothing to do with it being cheaper than the rest...
Last edited by rydan on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Upright Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:04 pm
rydan wrote:The display are entirely different. Instead of a fully graphic one, you get two lines of text. However, the menu system (and the entire MPC) is adjusted to work with this, so it's not as bad as I thought it would be, it's pretty easy to get by with the display I think.

However, if battery power is not a big issue for you, get a bigger one instead. The way I see it, the ONLY selling point of the 500 over the 1000 is the battery power (and possibly more reliable pad construction). That said, the battery power might be a big thing! The 500 is the only MPC I own, and it has absolutely nothing to do with it being cheaper than the rest...

Excellent points!!1 If you don't need the portability you may want go with the 1000...although the 1000 does have a pad issuse which may end up costing you more money down the road. There is a forum member here by the name of "Antonym" he has a lot of info when it comes to the 1000's pads, you may want to PM him and ask a few questions before you make your final decision....he won't mind , he's a pretty friendly dude.

P.S I like the 500 a great deal and could use just it for music production if necessary :D

By lovesign Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:18 pm
I have both a 1000 & 500 and I have to say the 1000 screen does make things flow more easily. But, getting to know the 1000 has made using the 500's limited display even easier, as I get my head around the whole concept.

By jowdjo Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:58 pm
Allways remember the portability of 500... its not difficult(lcd)... ive never used a 1000 before... but im really happy wit 500..

By nadafarm Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:55 pm
Thanks, I have been going back and forth.... still can't decide. I am thinking I should maybe get the 1000 and later buy the 500 once I am used to the whole process.

I do love the idea of making music on the road and being able to walk around my house with some heaphones.

Thanks again.

By stefski Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:26 pm
lovesign wrote:I have both a 1000 & 500 and I have to say the 1000 screen does make things flow more easily. But, getting to know the 1000 has made using the 500's limited display even easier, as I get my head around the whole concept.

cosign lovesign.