Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By dtaa pla muk Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:53 pm
it's not happening. it was never planned. professor noquote's "in the know" buddy didn't have his info straight and shouldn't be talking.

Maby we can make somie kind of lobby, wellworing group which will convince him that OS for MPC 500 should become his priority? Very Happy

yo...what kind of man steals another machine's programmer...

By earwolf Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:37 pm
Nym wrote:yo...what kind of man steals another machine's programmer...

us 500 owners will take whatever we can get...we are renegades...the rebels of mpc forums...we are on some mad max ish...i'm gonna bend my 500 and add some turbo overdrives and pistons to it...hell yeah...nym build me some laser gloves with a robo-synaptic digiplex and get jj on the 2 way i need an eprom of the boomchik back end fedexed asap

By ElGrego Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 pm
EDIT: Forget it I made a mistake regarding the people I was answering to. And I do not want to start a stupid debate with the MPC 1000 owners. Just wanted news about the JJ OS.
Last edited by ElGrego on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By earwolf Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:43 pm
thats crazy talk. even if roger linn came down and programmed the Holy Grail OS for the 500, it would never in one billion years be considered a 1000 killer. god damne theres some high azz fukers in the message board game

By ElGrego Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:09 pm
EDIT: Forget it I made a mistake regarding the people I was answering to. And I do not want to start a stupid debate with the MPC 1000 owners. Just wanted news about the JJ OS.
Last edited by ElGrego on Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By earwolf Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:11 pm
what the hell are you talking about

By ElGrego Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:14 pm

By dtaa pla muk Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:33 pm
did you get the memo about the mpc1000's new pads?
we're putting coversheets on all our tps reports these days...
i dunno bout others but i'm using the same pad technology that's in the 500, Sensitronics Force Sensing Resistors designed by Franklin Eventoff

though this is purely political and unnecessary...on the subject of "mpc500, the mpc1000 killer"

while the never-to-happen jj 500 os would of course better the 500, there is a severe limitation due to the screen size. this will kill many of the additional features that the jj os would have provided, including but not limited to midi grid edit, grid edit, 6 pad grid edit, midi cc graphical display, qlink graphical display.

similarly, GPE. GPE on a 2 line, narrow screen wouldn't so much be gpe anymore.

likewise with the processor, due to the 500's processor being a lesser beast (evident from lowering of polyphony on battery/whatever that was all about) jj could only go so far. this could presumably limit the 500's ability to juggle full sampler features, such as adsr etc...

completely moot though

EDIT: the mistake was coming at it combatively
this ain't a prep rally, this is a feature lineup and analysis
By ElGrego Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm
Ok man...

I'm sorry if I offended anybody. It was not my goal and was probably induced by me misunderstanding some of your posts (my english is not perfect). I thought that you were trying to pick on the MPC 500 owners when answering my post... So I tried to reply and pick on you myself, and I saw that this was misunderstood... So I deleted everything. I hope that this is OK now, I'm new to these board (and to MPC) and I love them, so I do not want to make someone unhappy with my posts...

About the little screen of the MPC 500 and because I read earwolf trying to explain that Roger Linn would not be able to make the MPC 500 a powerful machines... I just want to remind that the Roger Linn MPCs (i.e. 60 and 3000) did not provide "midi grid edit, grid edit, 6 pad grid edit, midi cc graphical display, qlink graphical display...". He had made machines on wich you had to work using your ears (and not your eyes) and it is kind of the same with the MPC 500...

By dtaa pla muk Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:24 pm
it's all good. you're at the mpc forums--the way things go here, if you're not pissing off at least 1 group of people, you're not doing your job right. no need to delete anything, really.

continuing the conversation in a light, jovial fashion, i find the "ears not eyes" argument a little weak for the following reason: a truly blind man would have a hell of a time learning even the less-graphical mpc500. you use your eyes in electronic music all the time, otherwise imagine the agony of learning the different key combinations too get to the various features!

elgrego, i believe the 500 deserves more os upgrades for sure. prerecord qlink control of swing/shift timing, qlink parameter to track for sure (control filter of all pads in a track in realtime), smaller font if possible, 2 line condensed grid editor if possible. basically, the 500 deserves any function that Akai stripped from the 500 os (which, like the 2500 is delineated from the 1000 os).

i don't like that the 500 still hasn't received the equivalent of the 1000's os 2.01 (akai-released) when it clearly has the functional capacity to still more than it does so far.

By ramal38 Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:27 pm
Nym wrote:it's all good. you're at the mpc forums--the way things go here, if you're not pissing off at least 1 group of people, you're not doing your job right. no need to delete anything, really.

continuing the conversation in a light, jovial fashion, i find the "ears not eyes" argument a little weak for the following reason: a truly blind man would have a hell of a time learning even the less-graphical mpc500. you use your eyes in electronic music all the time, otherwise imagine the agony of learning the different key combinations too get to the various features!

elgrego, i believe the 500 deserves more os upgrades for sure. prerecord qlink control of swing/shift timing, qlink parameter to track for sure (control filter of all pads in a track in realtime), smaller font if possible, 2 line condensed grid editor if possible. basically, the 500 deserves any function that Akai stripped from the 500 os (which, like the 2500 is delineated from the 1000 os).

i don't like that the 500 still hasn't received the equivalent of the 1000's os 2.01 (akai-released) when it clearly has the functional capacity to still more than it does so far.
nym have u ever tryd tha mpc 500?

By dtaa pla muk Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:14 pm
yes, three times so far. and i've perused the manual. not enough to get past the "this is different from X" factor but enough to know what it has/doesn't have. if i ever see one used/partially broken down i will scoop it up and use the hell out of it for portable sampling. meanwhile i'm just keepin my eye out for an sp303

By ElGrego Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 am
Nym... Thanks for your answer that's kind and I'm happy to read that you agree that the MPC 500 could get better if worked on.
I also hope that you understand the price factor that most 'MPC 500 haters' seem to forget all the time... Me, I wish I could have bought a MPC 1000 instead of the MPC 500 (I even wish I could have bought a MPC 4000 ou an MV 8800 LOL) but over here in France the MPC 1000 is like twice the price of the MPC 500 and I could not afford that (and please don't try to tell me that I could have bought a used MPC 1000 for the price of a new MPC 500... Because: It is not true + the MPC 1000 induces some extra costs to buy new pads and add ons... And I admit that I prefer not buying used instruments in music, I like my instruments virgin and only touched by me LOL).
Ok I wish there will be enough newbees like me who will buy the MPC 500 so that it might make Akai (or JJ, I keep the faith) working on its OS...
Peace.

By Cold Snap Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:50 pm
peeps too busy on that..."oooh my mpc is bigger and better than yours" shit!

Truth be told it's cats who do werk on the 500 who make dem 1000, 2500, 4000, whutever multi G users, sound like shit!
By ElGrego Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:43 pm
Is that English ? Sorry, I did not understand a word of what you're saying... Probably interesting though :?