Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500

By Cold Snap Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:20 pm
lol
Last edited by Cold Snap on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cold Snap Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:29 pm
ElGrego wrote:Is that English ? Sorry, I did not understand a word of what you're saying... Probably interesting though :?

Allow me to translate,

peeps= peoples ...
****= shlt
dem=- them
Cats= peoples who ain't dogs
Multi G= Mpc's 1000 & Up

I think that covers all the bad English I used!
lol ... No hablo ebonix ey? Sorry...
I'll try and be more proper on my next rant

By ElGrego Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:37 am
Thanks for the translation... I'm sure that I completely got your point, put it seems that you are saying that the MPC 500 is dope and I could not agree more :)

By Menco Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:26 pm
Trying to end this discussion and getting the focus back on the JJ OS for the 500...

I worked for 8 months on the 500, and I know this baby from inside out.
Now I've been working for over a month with the 1000. And I must admit, you can't beat the 1k. You can just work faster on it. On the 500 you keep switching screens to coordinate your process, while the 1k and up shows you way more information in one screen. So you can take one look on your display, and u can see in which sequence u are, in which track, and which program you selected. If you want to know all this info when u are working with the 500, you have to go through like 3 screens.

What I really missed was a good chop function. Chopping by ear really teaches you how to listen and how to use your ears, which is fine by me.
But the process takes a lot of time. For every part u have to set the start and end point, extract it, assign it to a pad in ur program. And that is sample 1 of the 20 samples you were planning to chop.

For the rest the 500 is a good machine. Made some good tracks on it, loved to work on it. But when I think about how much faster I can work on the MPC 1000, I'll stick to my 1k. If JJ finds a way so you can work faster on it, add some cool features the hardware can handle, then you have a valuable piece of equipment in your studio.

By earwolf Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm
Menco wrote:Trying to end this discussion and getting the focus back on the JJ OS for the 500...

I worked for 8 months on the 500, and I know this baby from inside out.
Now I've been working for over a month with the 1000. And I must admit, you can't beat the 1k. You can just work faster on it. On the 500 you keep switching screens to coordinate your process, while the 1k and up shows you way more information in one screen. So you can take one look on your display, and u can see in which sequence u are, in which track, and which program you selected. If you want to know all this info when u are working with the 500, you have to go through like 3 screens.

What I really missed was a good chop function. Chopping by ear really teaches you how to listen and how to use your ears, which is fine by me.
But the process takes a lot of time. For every part u have to set the start and end point, extract it, assign it to a pad in ur program. And that is sample 1 of the 20 samples you were planning to chop.

For the rest the 500 is a good machine. Made some good tracks on it, loved to work on it. But when I think about how much faster I can work on the MPC 1000, I'll stick to my 1k. If JJ finds a way so you can work faster on it, add some cool features the hardware can handle, then you have a valuable piece of equipment in your studio.

i don't really understand your logic. people buy a 500 because it's tiny and runs on batteries. obviously the 1k will have more functionality, as does the more expensive( and physically larger) mpc5000.

think of the mpc500 as the eeepc of the mpc world...
By ElGrego Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:38 am
You're right in a way... The MPC 500 is the eeepc of the mpc world.

And they are 2 kind of people who buy an eeepc:
- the rich informatic geeks who already have a big and expensive PC and want to have a second little machine to take everywhere with them.
- the people who cannot afford a bigger PC and take the eeepc cause that's the only PC they can afford.

For the MPC 500, I think it is the same. Me, if I had more money, I would have bougth an MPC 1000. Definitely. But I could not afford one and therefore, I took an MPC 500 and I already very happy with it.

Therefore, if someone could work on a better OS with a few additional features (e.g. a chop shop function would be awesome for saving time on my side). It would be really great for people who cannot afford both an MPC 500 and an MPC 1000 and who only got the little MPC 500...

So please, if someone knows JJ... Try to have them take a quick look at the MPC 500, it would be awesome... ;-)

Peace.

By ghostlywhitemachines Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:32 pm
Anyone else think that Akai shipped the 500 with a small screen so that JJ couldn't make it into a cheap mini portable 2500 or 1000 beater? No chopshop means that Akai will still ship more of the more expensive MPC's. Can JJ turn that screen into a waveform viewer?? Don't think so somehow.
By ElGrego Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 am
Ok, I understand the screen problem... Everyone seems to think that it is what limits the MPC 500, because no waveform can be viewed on such screen...
But me, when I pray for a Chop Shop on my MPC 500, I don't need to have a waveform view... I would just need a function to select a loop sample and ask it to be cut in 8 equals part automatically assigned to 8 pads (this is an example)... This kind of function would allow me to go way faster than today.
I don't ask for a waveform view... I use my ears to make music rather than my eyes but some time consumming operations could be automatized easily without a viewer. That's my point...
So, I continue to pray to obtain a JJ OS for my 500 or to find a way to exchange my MPC 500 for an MPC 1000...
Peace.
By fritzolin Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:00 pm
ElGrego wrote:- the rich informatic geeks who already have a big and expensive PC and want to have a second little machine to take everywhere with them.

please don't forget the poor ones who struggled a long time to earn the money to buy a big and expensive pc but then still wanted a little machine to take with them, but at that point had to stick to a cheap device :)

a jj mod would be the shit.... yes

By ElGrego Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:26 am
Sorry for forgeting this category of MPC 500 owners :D

Let's continue to pray for an MPC 500 JJ OS :roll:

Peace.

By thebackwardszero Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:31 am
hey, theres a video of the new JJOS a few threads down....

Super!
By ElGrego Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:36 am
Yes I've seen it... So cool :lol: :roll: :?
By inflict3 Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm
Sorry. Bringing this old ass thread back.. I think we could benefit from the lazy chop feature on the 500 and that feature wouldnt need to use any extra pixels on the screen..