Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By serge_a_storms Tue May 13, 2008 6:48 am
I wish the 500 had a high pass filter!!!!!

It has a low pass filter, why on earth could doesn't it have a high pass setting?

anyone else feel the absence of this feature?

Rant over! :D
By Avene Thu May 15, 2008 12:53 pm
Yeah it sucks. Such a basic feature, why can't they include it? It's not like they're going to lose any MPC1000 customers by adding it.
By brazeca Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 am
I'd suggest you use EQ for that. Cutting off low and middle frequences will have the same effect as a high pass filter ))) Only you will have a better control over it, using EQ, I think.

Good luck!
By Emilie Fri May 16, 2008 7:56 pm
brazeca wrote:I'd suggest you use EQ for that. Cutting off low and middle frequences will have the same effect as a high pass filter ))) Only you will have a better control over it, using EQ, I think.

Good luck!

But the you would have to resample. It would be ideal to have low, band, high and notch filter on this machine BECAUSE it is a drum sampler!
By brazeca Sat May 17, 2008 10:33 am
Be realistic, man. It is a PORTABLE drum sampler. Why are you expecting it to have all features of a studio workstation?
By Emilie Mon May 19, 2008 4:21 am
brazeca wrote:Be realistic, man. It is a PORTABLE drum sampler. Why are you expecting it to have all features of a studio workstation?

Because the hardware can cope man! ;-)
By avart Mon May 19, 2008 5:07 pm
eimer wrote:Because the hardware can cope man!

yeah, right - it can't even cope most basic functions without bugging out so it's better not to push it... :D
By Emilie Tue May 20, 2008 4:17 am
avart wrote:
yeah, right - it can't even cope most basic functions without bugging out so it's better not to push it... :D

Hehe. The bug prolems is in software! The only reason that Akai don't update the unit is that it is to expensive for them. If you are a coder that know how to make a lowpass filter, then you could also make a highpass! It's simple!
By brazeca Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am
Man, I am convinced that this particular OS issue (having less effects than other models) of MPC 500 is marketing-driven. You know, to make you spend more on your gear, when you "out-grow" the 500-th model.

But I also think, that most of MPC 500 users, especially those who are just starting messing around with hardware, are simply expecting too much from it and are too less dedicated to learn how to use it to full extent. It's not Ableton Live, you know. And even software has limited editions. So, just consider MPC 500 a limited edition of higher models, and learn how to get the most of it instead of begging for updates and new features. If you don't have the best, make the best of what you have. That's it.
Last edited by brazeca on Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Emilie Wed May 21, 2008 2:37 pm
brazeca wrote:So, just consider MPC 500 a limited edition of higher models, and learn how to get the most of it instead of begging for updates and new features. If you don't have the best, make the best of what you have. That's it.

I just want an update where the software is stable. If you use this mpc as an sequencer/music sampler/drum sampler it gets rather unstable. I bought it because akai wrote that it could do all of these things, and at the same time.
By brazeca Thu May 22, 2008 1:40 pm
Man, now you say you want a stable OS. So, what do you want more: a high-pass filter or stable OS? I may say that I want 2 filters, 16 pads, 1000-th-sized screen and a space for a hard-drive in my MPC 500. But that will make it similar to MPC 1000 :)

Tell me, what exactly makes yours getting unstable? Mine works just fine and copes with sampling/drum programming and sequencing. All at the same time.
By Emilie Thu May 22, 2008 8:42 pm
Well, uncompile the software and see for your self. Most of the software is from the 1000 model. A highpass is simple to make. I only want what i bought, not what i got!
By Avene Thu May 22, 2008 10:36 pm
Actually, probably almost as important is a filter envelope. I mean, you can record filter movements in real time using the q-link slider, so surely an envelope wouldn`t be any more difficult for them to implement? The MPC3000 never had a high pass filter either, but at least it had a filter envelope.

If they think that by excluding these features people will eventually buy an MPC1000, that`s stupid. They should focus on it being a portable battery powered MPC with all the basic features included like a high pass, envelope etc. With the only real limitations being the smaller screen, less pads, no waveform editing, only a single midi in/out and so on.
By brazeca Fri May 23, 2008 2:53 am
2 Avene: it's not stupid, it works, really ;) I also want them to fix bugs and introduce more features in OS, don't get me wrong. Though, I don't think they will bother, so the only thing that could be done is to find creative ways to outsmart these limitations.

2 eimer: Man, I wanted to know, what were the circumstances, under which your MPC 500 was unstable? More often than not, it's not the machine that is unstable, it's what YOU DO with it, that makes it unstable. Could you be so kind to tell, what was that you managed to do, that made your MPC to not sample or not record/playback a sequence?