MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By reeloy Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:09 pm
....for the next shows i finally want to get rid of ableton and computers on stage....

i need a machine where i can fool around here and there but basically it must spit out complete halfplaybacks.....while spitting out a midi clock in sync....

in fact there are only two machines capable of doing so....

the octatrack by streaming from card.....
or the mpc 5000 by reading outi with it's harddisc recoder option.....

i'm not used to elektron stuff.....
but i'm an experienced long time mpc user....
got a 2000 classic, a full on pimped jj1000 and a bit pmped jj25000....

so my question is......

does this harddisc recorder in the 5k really work?

and i just get me a used 5k somewhere....and take it from there...

or di i have to invest 1200 bucks and take a deep dive into oktatracks nerd mayhem....?
By reeloy Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:00 pm
...nobody here using a 5k on stage?
...and nobody who trust it's harddisc recorder...?
By THE ADVERSARY Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm
The hard disk recorder in the 5k doesn't work exactly the way people think it does.
Download the manual get an understanding of how they implemented it and see if that will work for what you plan to attempt.

Understand it's a song mode function so what you have the ability to control and manipulate while using them may not fit where you are trying to go in a live performance.
By dazastah Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:28 am
I've used it.. The funny thing with this hard disk recorder is that it's linear.. So it does't work at all in main mode.. It only works in song mode....

You really have to pre plan your order of songs too... Once you import large files into one song it stays in that song order...

And once it's playing in song mode you can't leave to change track or programs...

You can't seamlessly change from one song to another.. You have to stop.. Then change to the next song...

It doesn't start like the sampler starts.. There is a little delay when it starts to play..

Consider a roland rc-505 ... Its a looper pedal...that can store up to six hours of music... EAch patch/pgm loop doesn't have to loop so can be set to a one shot.. Meaning you can use it as a backing player... IT has midi sync.. But it has to be the master... I had a rc 300(previous foot controlled model) that worked quite nice with jjos...
By reeloy Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:17 pm
..thanx for response....

and uh, i was afraid so....so this harddiscrecorder is just another semi bling bling akai feature...dealing with another unfinished business os....

so, no way around it.....i order an octatrack tomorrow and start to practice for a few weeks before i dare to hit a stage with it....

goodbye ableton......goodbye macbooks....a swedish handcrafted little box is getting your job now....
By Doc333 Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:01 pm
Never heard of this device, just looked into it, we'd appreciate feedback/reviews after u play around with it a bit