MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By LivePsy Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:34 pm
I bought the white LCD replacement screen for the MPC5000 a few weeks ago. This is an essential upgrade in my opinion. The display just looks right. And it doesn't change color or darkness with temperature. It looks the same in hot or cold weather, just switched on or left on for days. The display is cooler too.

No, I'm not getting a cent for saying this. I love the new display!
B

Link fixed
By LivePsy Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:38 pm
THE CAMERA LIES! I tried several cameras in the house and all of them show the right side lighter than the left. It doesn't look like that in real life! So I'm a bit ashamed to show you the pics. The display is perfectly even and exactly like the contrast of the left edge across the whole screen.

With disclaimer aside, here's the pics.

By THE ADVERSARY Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:24 pm
Maybe the camera is more accurate than your eyes? :hmmm: :lol:

Seriously tho. the white skin really helps the look of having a white screen.
Not sure it would look as good with the original black face.
By LivePsy Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:11 am
Yeah, the white LCD is initially a bit blinding with the original black panel :lol: I'm very happy both mods and would never go back.

B
By Eyalc Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:18 pm
Looks nice! And the white skin is definitely essential IMO.

And for what it's worth, no 5000 LCD display is perfect across the whole display. Every single one is lighter on the right side than the left. It was a known gripe about the 5000 and where they put the lighting source. Doesn't mean your display doesn't look great!
By LivePsy Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:25 pm
I know that dark backgrounds are so hot right now with MPC and Maschine but I honestly think the screens were designed with a light background in mind. At least they should let you invert the colours and make up your own mind.

And again, the difference between the left and right side of the screen with human eyes is the same or so close it is the same. The camera is picking up some out of the visible range energy from the right side.

B
By THE ADVERSARY Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:44 pm
Eyalc wrote:Looks nice! And the white skin is definitely essential IMO.

And for what it's worth, no 5000 LCD display is perfect across the whole display. Every single one is lighter on the right side than the left. It was a known gripe about the 5000 and where they put the lighting source. Doesn't mean your display doesn't look great!

There were 3 different conditions of the screen reported;
-some were fine all the way across
-some as you mentioned were light on the side
-some would vary in balance while in use
By LivePsy Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 pm
THE ADVERSARY wrote:-some were fine all the way across

I think that everyone's MPC5000 experiences all of those symptoms depending on temperature. My MPC lives at home between 55-95 degrees F.

When I had the original display: Cold weather and just turned on it is fine all the way across. If its warm weather, I experienced light on one side and the display goes purple. Because its a high voltage CCFL and the screen generates heat, it then varied balance while in use.

The advantage of a LCD display is it doesn't generate heat and won't change the display contrast over time.
By SimonInAustralia Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 am
LivePsy wrote:When I had the original display: Cold weather and just turned on it is fine all the way across. If its warm weather, I experienced light on one side and the display goes purple. Because its a high voltage CCFL and the screen generates heat, it then varied balance while in use.

The advantage of a LCD display is it doesn't generate heat and won't change the display contrast over time.

:hmmm: I think that you mean the advantage of an 'LED backlit' LCD, vs a CCFL backlit LCD, is that the LED backlight doesn't generate 'as much' heat as the CCFL backlight.

The original and the replacement screens are both LCDs.
By THE ADVERSARY Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm
Had/have no issues with 5k screen but I exist in a controlled environment that pretty much keeps the same relative temperature year round.
May be some truth to the environment causing variation?
LivePsy wrote:
THE ADVERSARY wrote:-some were fine all the way across

I think that everyone's MPC5000 experiences all of those symptoms depending on temperature. My MPC lives at home between 55-95 degrees F.

When I had the original display: Cold weather and just turned on it is fine all the way across. If its warm weather, I experienced light on one side and the display goes purple. Because its a high voltage CCFL and the screen generates heat, it then varied balance while in use.

By LivePsy Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:39 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:The original and the replacement screens are both LCDs.

Correct, both are LCD screens. The original is lit by a CCFL (the tube with 2 white wires on the right edge). The white replacement screen is lit by LED.

CCFL is warm and this often causes variations in display contrast and brightness of the LCD panel. LED backlighting however is cool and won't affect it so much. LCD and LED are different things entirely.

By LivePsy Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:31 pm
The delays when jumping screens are still there, that's the OS. Usually going to mixer screen is 2 or more seconds for me. But there is less smearing of letters and numbers on quickly changing fields like the bar, beat and tick.

Its just plain better than the original display.