MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By mr_debauch Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:19 am
Jae MacKay wrote: The 4k does not have a va synth. Is there another manufacturer that makes a "all in one" like the 5k ?

the VA synth? you bought the 5000 for the VA synth? Why didn't you just get the alesis micron if you are a fan of that synth instead of buying the 5000?

the 4000 is way older and more powerful than the 5000... it has more sample time, better build quality, samples at 24bit, can take USB sticks to load samples, better sequencer and none of the odd PPQN stuff that happens on the 5000... plus if you had the micron (which why get that synth unless you love it specifically) you can sequence it with the 4000 and that would be even better since it adds keys to the setup...

not trying to criticize you or anything but.... you did ask for suggestions and are shooting them down because of your misinformation about the products... you think you know the specs and capabilities of those machines when it appears you dont.

For example, when people suggest the 1000 or 2500, they are not referring to the version you may have read about in akai brochures or on that mpc comparison chart.... the specs have been greatly improved on those models with JJOS and is actually still being improved. This is not an OS made by akai, this is made by a third party who has taken user feedback for the past decade and incorporated it into the firmware.

Akai isn't really appreciated on this website... the employees of theirs dont come here because we are the most critical of their MPC line of products out of pretty much anyone.... when their marketing guys mentioned specs in NAMM videos that sounded odd to us... we are the ones that exposed it and didn't let it slide... we made sure everyone knew they were bullshitting (remember when they said they were working on an OS3 for the 5000, or how about when they said vintage mode on the ren was hardware based)

Even the biggest fanboy in existence left this site because his bullshit blind marketing was not condoned by this forum.

Now, back on topic.. you want an all in 1? or you want an mpc product? what exactly are the must have features you want all in one product?
By mr_debauch Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:44 pm
Jae MacKay wrote:thank you for the advice I actually went and picked one up last night! :) good bye akai

yeah, and just to let you know for future reference.. the akai of today is owned by inmusic.. basically numark. they bought out a bunch of companies and made this umbrella company called inmusic.... they also bought out alesis....

the 4000 was the last mpc released before numark bought akai (the music division... not the home appliance company)

the quality dropped tremendously after that happened... if you want a laugh, check out the new timberwolf and the rhythm wolf.
By Jae MacKay Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:38 pm
No I totally agree with you! I do not know everything about each product. But I do know I need oscillators. I got the roland mv 8080 I believe and the mc 909. And I was let down in that aspect. Its not authentic v-a synth. I did however get a newer 5K maxed the **** out so I am going to see if that helps my specific Situation.
I have looked at all production work stations and nothing does even close to the 5K so If I have to work around the bugs so be it :/
The specific Sound I create can only be done with the 5K without going DAW.
Is there any reason why JJos doesnt make a os for 5 K ?
And I do appreciate Your support. Thank you
By mr_debauch Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm
well if that is the case when it comes to your workflow on the 5k... I want to hear some of that.. it sounds like it would be up my alley.
By CoinOP! Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:24 pm
Even Dan doesn't believe in those zoo synths when he's showcasing them. He looks troubled.

5000 Is great for what works. I still use it daily. It never freezes on me since I don't audition samples from the hard drive anymore. Love the synth. Just save everything at once as often as possible.
By Eyalc Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:12 pm
The 5000 is hardly garbage. Though I get why people might think so. It's had a bad rap since it came out. For me, only MPC I'd rather use is a 4000. But I use my 5000 daily. It's a workhorse in my studio. Just now started getting into the newer MPC Software though...

As far as current-day Akai, the stuff they are putting out these days is laughable IMO. But at least they are continuing to update the MPC software. But far from where they used to be as a company.
By dryad-66 Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:55 am
mr_debauch wrote:
Jae MacKay wrote:the VA synth? you bought the 5000 for the VA synth? Why didn't you just get the alesis micron if you are a fan of that synth instead of buying the 5000?

Just to clear this up......the 5k synth sounds nothing like the Micron even if they maybe share the same idea/design.St8 out the box the microns sound is clean and glossy and the 5k synth is gritty generally in character.Great fun with the q links and effect ect but i never found a way to record the tweaks aprt from live mix down on the daw.