MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Dustyfinga1.0 Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:26 am
I've found very little regarding this on here and the web. Just shooting from the hip, and hoping someone has some information they could share about this freeze up, and possible remedies. Tried resetting to factory settings, no go.
By felprez Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:18 pm
Do you get an error message or it just freeze ?
My 5000 sometime gives me two errors back to back on load.
First one is "(VEng) not operational" ( or something like that ).
Second one is "Effects Engine failed to load ! Failed Data Handshake" (Thats the exact sentence for this one)

My guess is that VEng is the voice engine

When that happen, theres no sound coming out of the machine. A reboot usually resolve the issue.

Try to reflash your OS, that might help.

This issue is intermittent for me but now my left channel on the master output and the headphone jack dosent work all the time. I've asked akai, they have no idea...
By Dustyfinga1.0 Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:53 pm
Thx @ Felprez. Upon power up it gets frozen with exactly "Loading Voice Engine..." Stays on that screen and doesn't function at all. Disk problem? RAM problem? Voice PCB issue? OS issue? No clue here. I guess I send it to VST for repairs.
I've tried everything I know.
By felprez Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 pm
Try reinstalling the os and reseating your ram if you have the expansion.
You can also disconnect the HD temporarily to test is that could be it.
While you're at it, make sure every cable are properly connected.

I've never sent mine for repairs since nobody can tell me what can be the issue.
Power supply are very sensitive on these unit, that might cause a lot of weird issues, can also be the main PCB board I guess
By Dustyfinga1.0 Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:38 pm
How would I go about testing the HD?
I have it taken apart, and I know it doesn't have the expansion RAM card, but I see another spot for RAM that is blank. Check the photos and see if this spot is missing the RAM.

By felprez Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:30 pm
For the HD, I would simply disconnect it and try to boot up the MPC.

I didn't know that theres two ram slot on the 5000. The one that is accessible from the bottom case is the one used for sampling memory. Can't tell about the other, maybe somebody has more info, im curious.
By Dustyfinga1.0 Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:10 pm
Yeah, I'm hoping someone who knows the inside of the 5K can chime in and set me straight. I've studied the service manual, and wiring diagram, but I can't make heads or tails of this situation...