MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By distortedtekno Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:15 am
mr_debauch wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:
richie wrote:It would be better if someone just hacked whatever company is contracted out to do the os and jack their source code and other development tools.

I wonder if any of the Anonymous hackers make beats with MPCs. :lol:

yeah but the only one i know of is only concerned with vintage mpc60's previously owned by famous rock musicians.... :lol:

:lol:

By richie Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:09 am
I go to big name mastering studios and use finder to find *.ptf and copy all the sessions to my thumb drive.

I also got a 24 track reel of 2Pac doing a reference track for Biggie's kick in the door.
By markski Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:32 am
richie wrote:It would be better if someone just hacked whatever company is contracted out to do the os and jack their source code and other development tools.

Optimisation would be a BIG starting point as the lag most users feel in some screens is obviously down to bad code, insufficient processing resource or both. Kickstarter?
By Ex:John Doe Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:33 am
How much work would Akai need to put in to give the 5K a proper update? An hour? Less than a week?
Lets get together and keep sending mails etc. At one point they will get sick of it, and give in. Lets organize a movement.
By mr_debauch Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:34 pm
Ex:John Doe wrote:How much work would Akai need to put in to give the 5K a proper update? An hour? Less than a week?
Lets get together and keep sending mails etc. At one point they will get sick of it, and give in. Lets organize a movement.

The thing is, in that era.. akai was outsourcing the OS development work. It is highly likely they didn't even write the OS for the 5000.... They did the same for the 1000 and 2500 and never payed the guy so that is how he was able to continue developing the OS he made. If they didn't pay then they don't own it.
By richie Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:27 am
aka the Alesis 5000
By MPC-Tutor Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:54 am
Ex:John Doe wrote:How much work would Akai need to put in to give the 5K a proper update? An hour? Less than a week?

Bug fixing an operating system isn't the same a spell-checking a Word doc, it's not something that can be done 'in an hour'. Fixing even a single bug can take weeks, locating the problem, solving it and then checking to see if the causes other problems. And that's with an 'active', running project with a full team of developers and testers already on board. I doubt anyone who was involved in the coding aspect of the 5000 project is even at Akai these days.

Why would Akai do this? It's a dead product, has been for years, they don't manufacture it anymore. Where's the financial incentive for them to throw a bunch of money at a dead product. Akai have moved on, as have most customers.
By MPC-Tutor Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:55 pm
Ex:John Doe wrote:"Moved on" is such a **** excuse.

It's not an excuse, it's a reality. This is business, Akai's focus is now on the MPC Software and its controllers, the MPC5000 is a product of yesteryear.

I don't agree with the way Akai abruptly abandoned development of the 5000, it was shameful to just suddenly stop developing the OS for their flagship product when it was so clearly in need of further attention. But what's done is done, nothing is going to change that and Akai are clearly not going to revisit a machine they no longer manufacture, there's no money in it for them. They want you to buy an MPC Touch.
By mr_debauch Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 am
loyal? Akai didn't give a **** about the 5000 then and they certainly don't give a **** now... there are even doubts that the 2.0 version would even exist if it weren't for just blaze publicly calling akai out on how shit the first OS was.
By Ex:John Doe Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 am
If they essentially sold a defect product (while having the "means" to clean it), what they were doing is actually illegal.
The machine is 8 years old and it is probably a little late to start a "petition" now. If only people were more consistent earlier on..
By MPC-Tutor Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:06 pm
I wouldn't underestimate what the 'mpc5000' effect had on many previously loyal Akai customers. I think a lot of people were suitably disgusted and simply stopped buying new Akai products.

Rather than bother with petitions, a lot of people on this forum now only use second hand legacy Akai gear and/or moved onto the likes of Maschine and Push etc.
By mr_debauch Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:20 am
the 5000 is cool now.. because it doesn't cost in the neighborhood of 3 thousand bucks (more or less depending on exactly when you bought one and where) .

I have heard of people having to spend as much as 3500 dollars.. imagine at that price how pissed you would be especially if you were a person who was using something like the 3000.. then moved to the flagship 4000... and skipped the 500, 1000, and 2500 for the next supposed flagship. I have a good friend who bought a 5000 and sent the damn thing back for a refund (he didn't know about mpc forums back then).

many people have said the same thing... it should have been illegal... but who is (was) gonna do anything about it?