MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By officialscutal Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:22 pm
Have MPC 5000 and want to start using the adat light pipe for multitracking into Logic Pro. Looking at using a focusrite scarlett 18i8 as the interface - first question, would you recommend any other interfaces or does that seem suitable? - second question, would you say its advisable to sync logic with mpc 5000 when multitracking through adat (using the standard midi connections) or does the adat cover the sync issue also? Im a little confused as many tutorials speak of slave/master but i essentially want to record as many channels out as I can through adat (8) but have it synced with logic so it all lines up when I hit play/rec/stop etc. so I don't have to just record in and then cut tracks to the grid - apologies if this doesn't make alot of sense and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
By Zedisded Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:44 pm
Hey dude. I bought a M-Audio Profire 2626 specifically for the job. It handles adat from the MPC5000 fine although you have to use an SPDIF cable to sync to word clock. The MPC needs to be the master, for some reason you can't sync to word clock via optical from the MPC.

Other than that it works like it should. Oh and I use both ProTools 11 and Logic Pro X, just set the adat inputs as your recording inputs and you're good to go :)

As for midi sync? I'm not sure what you mean exactly? You can set up logic to control or to slave to the MPC, it really depends on what you want to use as your master controller. If you have a keyboard with transport controls, you may want that to control everything, if you don't, it may be better to use the MPC. All depends on what gear you have.

Just one thing in the sync, it's delayed, so the recorded audio won't sit exactly on the bar in logic. You can compensate using midi offset but I've never really gotten perfect results. This is just really midi though.
By officialscutal Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:55 pm
Thanks so much for your answer and apologies for such a late reply!!!

I have been investigating this issue between writing and its opened up even more questions. I hear what your saying about the M-Audio Profire 2626 and to be honest (if I am correct) it boasts another pair of ADAT in/outs so that opens up to 16 potential digital channels right? + 8 analogue preamps = 24 channels right!?!? Thats bigger than the Focusrite 18i20 and its a bit cheaper.... so with the M-Audio Profire 2626 all you need to sync Logic to the MPC and vice versa is that unusual looking SPDIF connection that looks like a monitor cable? Then you plug one in/out optical cable (suggestions please for that) for the digital audio. Obviously you set who's master/ slave between Daw and MPC but there is no midi involved at all for sync?!?! I keep reading syncing logic to MPC articles and its always talking about midi but I guess for strictly multi-tracking audio its not necessary. However I do use synths for bass lines so any suggestions for multi-tracking that out at the same time as audio?

I again apologies for lateness and for the above brain fart....

:vomit:
By Lampdog Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:32 pm
A year late reply, lol, better late than never though.

I do the exact same thing you are both talking about but with different gear. RME UFX interface, mpc4k and reaper. That M-Audio yes, 16 channel adat along with analog ins for your keyboard (Just read the m-audio specs). Midi is sync also. Strictly audio multi tracking doesn't "need" midi, if you want any type of sync between diff gear you will need midi or word clock. Usually people want sync though.

mpc adat -> m-audio
kybd analog to m-audio

m-audio will spit it all out to computer separate channels or however you want it via firewire.

Like I said, I do this same thing but with diff gear.
By Zedisded Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:32 pm
I hear what your saying about the M-Audio Profire 2626 and to be honest (if I am correct) it boasts another pair of ADAT in/outs so that opens up to 16 potential digital channels right? + 8 analogue preamps = 24 channels right!?!?

No, ADAT is an 8 in / 8 out protocol, the other ADAT in/out is if I want to record at a higher resolution. If I record at 96khz, it'll effectively half the bandwidth per ADAT port which leaves me with only 4 channels, hence the extra port for a further 4 channels.

so with the M-Audio Profire 2626 all you need to sync Logic to the MPC and vice versa is that unusual looking SPDIF connection that looks like a monitor cable? Then you plug one in/out optical cable (suggestions please for that) for the digital audio.

SPDIF is just a protocol, it can be passed via mini jack or via RCA. It's normally a stereo feed that passes wordclock with it. We are only using the cable for word lock since the MPC, for some bizarre reason, cannot sync via ADAT. For Digital to be effective, the two devices you want to connect need to clock together in sync. If they don't you'll just get audio coming through with loads of digital crackle and pops.

ADAT cables are ADAT cables. Most music and hifi stores should stock them. My suggestion is rather go for a shorter one if you can. They are pretty delicate and long cables can just be unwieldy.

Obviously you set who's master/ slave between Daw and MPC but there is no midi involved at all for sync?!?!

Don't get the technologies confused. You get digital sync that clocks the signals together and you get Midi sync that locks the DAW to the MPC. They essentially do the same thing BUT for different purposes. You can't clock a digital signal to midi and vica versa, it's not possible, they are completely different protocols.

I keep reading syncing logic to MPC articles and its always talking about midi but I guess for strictly multi-tracking audio its not necessary. However I do use synths for bass lines so any suggestions for multi-tracking that out at the same time as audio?

That's midi sync and you can use either your DAW via your sound card OR the MPC to control it. It's your call and it really comes down to workflows and how you prefer to do things.
By officialscutal Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:47 pm
I never thanked you for this amazing answer.....
This really helped me

With my setup/budget I need usb connection and want midi ins/outs on my interface and looking at 18i20 its kind of the only option I can see for full connectivity in comparison..

You mentioned above,

''SPDIF is just a protocol, it can be passed via mini jack or via RCA. It's normally a stereo feed that passes wordclock with it. We are only using the cable for word lock since the MPC, for some bizarre reason, cannot sync via ADAT. For Digital to be effective, the two devices you want to connect need to clock together in sync.''

So if the mpc5000 can't sync via adat, a pro fire 2626 OR focus rite 18i20 word clock connection would HAVE to be handled via the spdif?

I guess now I understand the connective idea, what I need now is an 18i20 setup plan

I am close

:worthy:
By Zedisded Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:18 pm
Apologies for the late response, for some reason I don't get notifications sent to me from this board.

So if the mpc5000 can't sync via dat, a pro fire 2626 OR focus rite 18i20 word clock connection would HAVE to be handled via the spdif?

Correct.

Also ate a look at the TASCAM US-16x08 or the Tascam US- 20x20. Both great units for the price.