MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By officialscutal Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:25 pm
I want to setup a FR Scarlett18i20 with my MPC 5000

Any ideas on a setup method?

I am reading online that the ADAT out from the mp doesn't carry 'word clock' data so the only way to sync correctly with your DAW is using a s/pdif coaxial? Is the this true or do I need a different type of Toslink cable to go in the ADAT. Optical audio is confusing to me :hmmm:
By Wal Martian Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 pm
Zedisded wrote:Hey dude. I bought a M-Audio Profire 2626 specifically for the job. It handles adat from the MPC5000 fine although you have to use an SPDIF cable to sync to word clock. The MPC needs to be the master, for some reason you can't sync to word clock via optical from the MPC.

Other than that it works like it should. Oh and I use both ProTools 11 and Logic Pro X, just set the adat inputs as your recording inputs and you're good to go :)
By Zedisded Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:39 am
@officialscutal

:shock: But its firewire the 2626, I need a usb interface for what I am running...

I don't really understand why this would make a difference? The firewire is used to plug it in the PC, I don't use that to plug into the MPC, I use ADAT for that?

You can't sync the ADAT without a word clock source (which you get from the SPDIF) so you'll need to connect the SPDIF In/outs on the 18i20 to the SPDIF In/outs on the MPC. It won't work with a standard RCA cable though, it has to be coaxial. I ended up buying some antenna co-axial cable from a TV repair shop and just added RCA's to each side and it worked fine.

In your Soundcard prefs on your PC, set your sync to SPDIF instead of internal or ADAT, the MPC doesn't send sync via ADAT so it won't lock if you do that.