MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By djhombre Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:18 am
Hi all,

Having owned a MPC 1K and a 500 in the past I'm now the proud owner of a near-new 5K...with the exception of a bent QLink slider which was damaged in transit - think the balanced the box on its side. It works, just at an angle! Classy.

Anyway, I've spent a good few hours trawling the boards. Just wondering what folk here consider to be the most useful mod to their 5K? Mine currently has expanded RAM, using OS 2 and that's it - everything else is standard, factory HDD & no CD drive.

Not sure I need a CD drive since pc connectivity over USB is fine for me.

Thanks in advance
By JUKE 179r Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:58 am
By Zedisded Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:08 pm
The most noticeable difference I have seen from an upgrade was upgrading the standard 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive. I tried to go SSD but after trying to ship the SATA to IDE converter in twice and not receiving it, I decided to just go 7200RPM. While I was at it, I also mounted the drive on little rubber washers to stop the vibration resonating in the case (which worked well btw).

The biggest difference is preview times for listening to the samples. With the 5400RPM drive there was always lag, theres zero lag with the 7200RPM and because it was IDE there was not modification necessary.

I have also upgraded the ram, the pads and I stripped the whole thing down and cleaned out the previous owners crud. Oh and I made wood ends for it from imbue and a wheelie stand from an old office chair!

By aprim Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 am
That shit looks Sexy with those wood sides. Good Job. I just recently bought a 5000 too got a sick deal. I had one years ago so it didn't take me long to get this up and running.
Its a lot better then I remember. Very simple but still able to do everything I need. Nice machine.