MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Molotovbeatz Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:08 pm
Hi there,

My toy just arrived :smoker: my first MPC, now there is the switch phono and mic in the front of the panel and phono and line on the back of the device.

I know that I have to put phono on the front instead of the mic but how about the back? Should I live it on line or on phono when I will hook up my vinyl turntable?

Thx
By tapedeck Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:20 pm
Molotovbeatz wrote:Hi there,

My toy just arrived :smoker: my first MPC, now there is the switch phono and mic in the front of the panel and phono and line on the back of the device.

I know that I have to put phono on the front instead of the mic but how about the back? Should I live it on line or on phono when I will hook up my vinyl turntable?

Thx

it depends on what your turntable outputs.
if it is an old turntable, or like a 1200, it will likely be phono. so you put the switch on phono.

some turntables tho do output line level, so if thats the case, you'd use line.

some turntables even have that same switch allowing you to switch between line and phono. in that case, just make sure the mpc is set to the same setting as the turntable.

a little more info to help...a phono signal is very very very quiet without a lot of bass. a line signal is pretty much 'normal'...what most equipment works at.
one way it can go wrong is if you plug the turntable in and the mpc is set to line, and it sounds super quiet and there is no bass, then the turntable is outputting a phono signal.
another way it can go wrong is if you plug a line-level source into a phono input - in that case it will be super loud and distorted.
By tapedeck Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:39 pm
set the one on the back to the same as the one in the turntable.
try both settings out, see if they sound different and decide which you like. you'll either be using the preamp in the turntable (both set to line) or the preamp in the mpc (both set to phono).

then set the one on the top of the mpc to phono. a little confusing, because in that case, i believe the switch is simply deciding which input to use (the rca/phono or combo/mic inputs).