MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Molotovbeatz Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:14 am
Hello there,

So I tried to hook up my MCP5000 with my 2 KRK rokit 6 speakers. I plugged them both to the Stereo Output JACK from the back of the MPC and plugged the cable into the Balanced TRS jack at the rear of the speakers.

The right speaker (sound coming out of the right output jack) looses sound occasionally. What it means that when I increase the main volume knob, then the speaker is reacting and giving sound out loud, when putting the volume knob in the middle, the sound goes and then after few seconds the speaker lose the sounds, the sound is like fading away. When turning the volume knob at maximum again, the speaker reacts again.

So I pulled out the cable from the right stereo output of the MPC and plugged it in the left output instead to see if I will have the same result and yes, the sound is fading away from the speaker after few seconds like before.

What I found out is that the speaker is working properly when I connect the cables into the RCA Unbalanced at the rear of the KRK instead. So I hooked up both cables from stereo output MPC to RCA Unbalanced on the KRK. The sound is not fading away.

But here is my question, why the speakers are reacting like that if on the manual it says that the MPC5000 stereo output is a balanced output. Why the stereo balanced output is not working properly when hooked to balanced RCA on the speakers? The problem is not there when plugged as RCA unbalanced.

I am trying to determine if my MPC is damaged or my speakers. For the record, when speakers hooked to the same balanced RCA on other devices like my PC I don't have this fading sound. And I am not sure where the problem is, the main volume knob, or the stereo output connection (which is not possible since it is working great on unbalanced connection).

Or maybe should I use a XLR to 1/4 jack cable instead? The 1/4 to the stereo output and XLR to the speakers?

Any idea? I am stressing out a bit, I don't want my MPC to be broken :(((
By Molotovbeatz Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Lampdog wrote:Connect the speakers to another piece of gear. If it's the same then it's the speaker amp inside the cabinet.

With all do respect if you took a bit of time to read my thread I already mentioned that when connecting to other devices the sound from my speakers does not fade away distorted. So it's not the speakers. I use my speakers for a year now before I got my MPC, I never had this problem before.

Before you say that it's the MPC then let me repeat again what I already said before that hooking the 1/4 jack output to the unbalanced RCA of the speakers, there problem is not there neither, speakers work fine without fading distorted sound.

The problem is there when hooking up the 1/4 output jack from the MPC to the 1/4 input jack TRS of the speaker. Then the sound fades away distorted and the sound can be back only when turning the volume knob to maximum again.

Anyone else have an idea?

PS: Today my 1/4 jack to XLR cable will come in so I will try to see if the problem will be the same as the TRS input . I will try to hook the 1/4 jack to the stereo output and the XLR to the speaker input. I will let you know in the evening the result.
By Molotovbeatz Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:11 pm
Hi there, good news. Everything seems to be normal after I hooked up the 1/4 mono jack to MPC stereo output and the XLR into the speaker input. The sounds are not fading away distorted.

Thank you anyway guys =). Ouuuffff I thought my MPC is broken, my precious <3