MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By Blue Haze Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:I'm sorry but I got a new MPC and I know exactly what I am doing. Only boredom has me even writing in tis thread. I already reported in another thread that this new MPC will freeze doing very simple things. This is not user error. If SCD hasn't encountered this problem, than he is not using OS 1.01 or he isn't being forthcoming.

For the record, this MPC is pretty much like all the newer MPCs. If you can use an MPC 1000 or 2500, you really do not need to read the manual. The newer features you can figure out just by playing with it a few hours.

hmmn then I would take it back if it freezes doing very simple things and get another but that is your choice.
By Askia Shaheed Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:48 pm
Blue Haze wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:I'm sorry but I got a new MPC and I know exactly what I am doing. Only boredom has me even writing in tis thread. I already reported in another thread that this new MPC will freeze doing very simple things. This is not user error. If SCD hasn't encountered this problem, than he is not using OS 1.01 or he isn't being forthcoming.

For the record, this MPC is pretty much like all the newer MPCs. If you can use an MPC 1000 or 2500, you really do not need to read the manual. The newer features you can figure out just by playing with it a few hours.

hmmn then I would take it back if it freezes doing very simple things and get another but that is your choice.

:?

Why would anyone take it back to get another? Getting another one will still have the OS 1.01 and will also freeze. What are you smokin?
By Blue Haze Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:30 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:
Blue Haze wrote:

:?

Why would anyone take it back to get another? Getting another one will still have the OS 1.01 and will also freeze. What are you smokin?

What you are smokin ha, ha, ha a unit that you claim can`t even save or change the screen? Cmon Jah I don`t even have a 5k but I got common sense. Not one mpc I repeat not one mpc I own or ever own had simple hiccups like you are describing.

You may need to but it in an more experienced persons hands.
By 4dahaterz Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:09 pm
^^^^^ See, its thread comments like this that start not to make sense... "put it in a more experienced users hands"... How f..ckin experienced do you have to be, owning a couple of MPC's for 10 plus years.... Touring with em, and producing with em.... First off, the machine should be user friendly for any new guy coming along(yeah you gotta figure out the modes and screens, but how do you learn them, and it starts to mess up when you start working trying to pump out ideas... Thats why i like MPC's, Cause I use to create as fast I as I could think about that sequence), second of all, I got an OLD A$$ MPC, that skates around screens like its nonthing. It takes more time loading up samples then it does making a song wit my old 2000XL.

But once the Machine becomes stable hopefully with the new OS, then that will be whats up.... but it shouldnt be based off of experience... A computer isnt based off of experience when it freezes up, and its gotta lot more sh..t going on inside then a MPC.

I could remember the earlier OS of the MPC 2000XL, when I use to get some crazy screen when it froze up... It stopped doing that for me after an update.
By Coz Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 pm
Yeah guys, I think you should all go off to MPC school so you can learn how to press those buttons correctly! wtf??

This MP definitely has some serious issues with the OS... and by the sounds of things, the processing power too. I can't see an updated OS making the saving/loading any faster either.
By 4dahaterz Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:33 pm
Coz wrote:Yeah guys, I think you should all go off to MPC school so you can learn how to press those buttons correctly! wtf??

This MP definitely has some serious issues with the OS... and by the sounds of things, the processing power too. I can't see an updated OS making the saving/loading any faster either.

Yeah, im thinking about going to get my Masters Degree in MPC'in....

Yea, thats what im wondering, if the OS update can fix the processing power
By Coz Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:39 pm
I failed my first year in MPCism due to drinking too much and sleeping around with my fellow students! This year I promise to read my manual daily and slow my workflow down to a snails pace so I don't crash the damn thing!! :wink:
By FRESHFOR'88 Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:55 pm
lol..man I can't wait to see how this plays out...
By Blue Haze Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:05 pm
:lol: I thought you guys were sayin the 5k is a monster and now its the opposite make up your minds. I ain`t mad at cha. But like I said before if I had a mpc any model that didn`t work, I would trade it for the model that work. And any fool that sold me a defective model would refund me my money right away.

From the 3k on up no problems for me. Are any of you 5k users going to sell your 5k`s at half price now??? MMMmm if you havin 5k problems I feel bad for your son, I got several mpcs and a problem with none.

I wonder how long are you going to wait on some O.S update when one just came out a month and half ago??? It may come next in the fall or winter how many beats could you have made within that time frame?

It is your purchase not mine do what you wish with your time and money.

Hmmn maybe the O.S. will be here tomorrow or next week hmmm????

I highly doubt it. Meanwhile if any other new aka new potential 5k users have a problem with your unit or even thinking about buying one, you should have at least a 90 day to 1year warranty on the unit to easily exchange your unit or have it repaired plus your money back.
By foge1 Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:18 pm
4k headz are obsessed with manuals, because the 4k is such a disaster ergonomically that the manual is frequently necessary!.
g
By Blue Haze Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:29 pm
Blue Haze wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:It's wise to save your work every so often while you create...but with the MPC 5000, it can freeze up within a few minutes depending on what you are doing. Then you start focusing too much on saving every other minute instead of composing music.

You know if any mpc I ever owned from the 2xl, 1k, 3k, or my 4k ever did that, I would take it back to the maker and exchange it.

And sometimes when I did have a problem I would go backtrack and check where I might have fuked up if I had any hiccups in my style of workflow something as simple as assigning two programs to the same midi channel would **** up my simple layout and overload my sequence in my budding mpc days.

It`s not about a manual it is about whether a person fuk up or not by making mistakes we are all human. If you read you can realize the mistake or not simple as that.

But yeah everyone can just wait for some O.S. to drop down from Numark anyday now. :D
By 4dahaterz Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:21 pm
Blue Haze wrote:Experienced hands on a 5000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgQ01-NdV00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kvPL8nhHqo&feature=user

lol... they are very experienced.... in whose opinion

Not hatin on what they are doing or their music.... but there was nonthing special or experienced that they were doing...

Id rather watch my boy Boon on his MPC 1000
By tomazzzi Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:39 pm
I worked with the 5000 about 24 hours this long week end without any single freeze & trust me i v done much more experienced things that you can see on those tiny youtube vids :)

The mpc was up & running for more than 12 hours yesterday : not a single crash !

So if you have a lot of freeze maybe your 5000 have a problem.

I got it freeze about 2 or 3 times since i have it.

I m loading big projects with a lot of programs, sequences, fx etc...

Only a few bugs that i already mentionned here but anything critical at all.
By Askia Shaheed Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:53 pm
Wow....Blue Haze is trolling the MPC 5000 forum and he is using my own catch phrases :lol:

For the record, the MPC 5000 is a beat with regards that it is a significant upgrade to every MPC (with the exception of the MPC 4000 which can also be debated). The OS of the MPC 5000 has it quirks like any OS for new products. Any experienced user knows this. The MPC 4000 was completely unusable with it's first two OS releases. I know this because I owned one and sold them and people were trying to get their money back.

The freeze I experienced can be reproduced every time and I have reported it to Akai and the bug is confirmed. There is no way you can make a 'mistake' on an MPC and it crashes. That is silly for anyone to suggest that.

Stop the trolling. We, MPC 5000 users are here reporting the facts and not trying to sell any of you this machine. That is Akai/Numark's job. I am here to tell it like it is and will not be selling my MPC 5000 or my new Fantom G (which also has quirks) to anyone anytime soon....and if I did go back to another MPC, it would be an MPC 2500 which is also a monster.

One.