MPC5000 reviews, bug reports and fellow user support on the most recent standalone, hardware MPC from Akai
By AFF Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:31 am
Hi all, been lurking here for ages as have a 1k which use occasionally but sometimes get dragged back to the pc due to the little screen being a pain. however, the 5k could be the answer as i'm desperate to get away from the pc.

so, first, can you run audio in through the effects and straight out? ie. my hand drum being effected by reverb. i don't actually want to record it (yet) but may want to play along with the mpc. also for vocals/mic.

next up is the synth engine. can you manipulate/integrate your own samples with it and mangle away or is it totally seperate?

is the synth expandable? in other words, do you think it's limited after a while or does it have no limitations?

is it possible s1k and s3k sample cds will eventually be able to be used. BIG ISSUE, i've loads of them!!!

is there an aksys style editor? aksys was brill on the s6k!!!

what add-ons are must haves?

any negatives, especially against the mv8800 (other than lcd output).

were previous XL editions an upgradeable path for non-xl users? i don't want to be caught out here as nukai make me a little nervous their range/quality at the moment. is this sturdy?

that's it for now, although i have a few other questions i'm sure i'll remember later

thanks

aff
By Askia Shaheed Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:56 pm
AFF wrote:Hi all, been lurking here for ages as have a 1k which use occasionally but sometimes get dragged back to the pc due to the little screen being a pain. however, the 5k could be the answer as i'm desperate to get away from the pc.

so, first, can you run audio in through the effects and straight out? ie. my hand drum being effected by reverb. i don't actually want to record it (yet) but may want to play along with the mpc. also for vocals/mic.

next up is the synth engine. can you manipulate/integrate your own samples with it and mangle away or is it totally seperate?

is the synth expandable? in other words, do you think it's limited after a while or does it have no limitations?

is it possible s1k and s3k sample cds will eventually be able to be used. BIG ISSUE, i've loads of them!!!

is there an aksys style editor? aksys was brill on the s6k!!!

what add-ons are must haves?

any negatives, especially against the mv8800 (other than lcd output).

were previous XL editions an upgradeable path for non-xl users? i don't want to be caught out here as nukai make me a little nervous their range/quality at the moment. is this sturdy?

that's it for now, although i have a few other questions i'm sure i'll remember later

thanks

aff

1. Yes
2. No. It's seperate
3. Expandable no. Can tweak for thousands of different sounds
4. Currently no. Seriously doubt it seeing the direct Akai/Numark has taken over the past few years
5. Not currently and probably not in the future
6. Memory, turntable, MIDI cables, sound module, standalone sampler, audio cables
7. OS in infant stages. Not a full blown sampler currently
8. :? The quality of this unit is equal to or better than the MPC 2000XL and 2500
By AFF Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:32 pm
Thanks Askia for your prompt response.

tbh, my main concern is OS updates to problems and moreso, akai releasing a new MPC (6k?) rather than new features which the 5k would already be capable of.

Since we have seen JJs software massively upgrade the 1k i fear nukai would never do such a thing rather release a 'new' version for sale without an upgrade path.

it's terrible to be so suspicious of akai really and it's a shame the akai rep didn't stay around to build up confidence again. or is he still about?

So, what should i do with my s1k and s3k sample cds. any software to consider to convert them to work on the s5k?

ps. it's a shame the synth engine is not more integrated into the sample engine. JJ? :wink:

aff
By Askia Shaheed Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:08 am
If Akai/Numark continues their previous trends, you will not see a major update to the MPC line for at least another three years. If you are looking to buy any new product, simply wait for several OS updates to be released. Also, by the MPC 5K for what it does now. Worrying about them releasing a MPC 6000 with more features is not something I would waste my time thinking about.

Also...look around the internet. There are sample conversion software that will convert your sample CDs to a format of your choosing.