For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By Ron-Jay Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:34 pm
I have a Technics 1200 MK2 turntable and getting into scratching my samples in. I am curious as to whether there is a device that communicates with some kind of software that I can use to scratch sounds from on my computer. So if I have a sample on the computer or a finished beat on the computer, can I use a regular real turntable to control that or do I need one of those newfangled cdj things which I'm not interested in buying?
By peterpiper Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:41 am
^^really? I've seen some vids on YT that worked with serato vinyl. You'll have to play around a bit to set the correct gain of the timecode signal but it seem to work good after that. (saw a vid with a build in soundcard and another one with the maya44 soundcard.)

peace

EDIT: I think misunderstood your post. did you talk about the serato software or the serato vinyl when you said that it requires the Rane interface?
By SimonInAustralia Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:29 am
Probably not, I have not looked at it in years, was just going by this on the website...

True Vinyl Emulation.

Scratch Live is vinyl emulation software that operates exclusively with Rane hardware.

Mix and scratch digital music on your computer with Serato Control Vinyl or Control CDs.

Yes, the software itself. Probably better off using the control vinyl with other software, as you suggested.
By THE ADVERSARY Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm
Well you have to understand there are two opinions on DVS; those who actually dj and those who think that they are all created equally.

If the OP is talking about just messing around then that's one thing.
If they are someone with a true skill level looking to do digital then that's a whole different thing.
By dazastah Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:44 pm
Well its sounds like you would have to internally sample between apps.. If you only have one comp... I know serato cant do this.. If conflicts pretty bad having too apps open at once... I tried to have the sl1 box and mxer go into my rme uc and that didn't work.. then i tried using jack osx and that didn't work nicely either...(serato app thing doens;t like other apps/drivers)

You could also try a dj app that has a internal recording feature... That records your set...
By Ron-Jay Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 pm
I have ableton and I know that ableton records the set. ableton also has rewire. is mixxxx compatible with ableton through rewire?

so what i'm needing to understand is how my turntable actually interfaces with the software. i'd like to test the software to see if i can even get it to react to my turntable before purchasing the control vinyl. is the control vinyl the only vinyl that the software can understand? will the software only react when the control vinyl is used?

also, shouldn't my presonus firebox be sufficient to bring the signal from the turntable to the software? when I sample into the computer my turntable signal is running through a dj mixer, sp-404 and another mixer before going into the firebox. but obviously i don't need that if/when i'm just trying to scratch an mp3. but i'm using a mac so i don't think asio applies to me. do i need to use spidf or can i just plug straight into a line channel on my firebox?