Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By rookie Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:22 pm
The best program out to me first is ABLETON but I just don't feel like going with the learning curve. REASON has mad options and you can beef up the sound, but it takes a few steps to do it. I made over 200 tracks with REASON 5 and got 7 now, but yet to get into it. To me REASON has the best and truest mixer on the market. I really wish that they would've went the VST route, I would be totally sold on it then.
By inflict3 Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:49 pm
rookie wrote:The best program out to me first is ABLETON but I just don't feel like going with the learning curve. REASON has mad options and you can beef up the sound, but it takes a few steps to do it. I made over 200 tracks with REASON 5 and got 7 now, but yet to get into it. To me REASON has the best and truest mixer on the market. I really wish that they would've went the VST route, I would be totally sold on it then.

YES, I love that mixer!!!!!! lol.. yo, u can use ur vsts with reason, reason has midi out, I use NI razor with reason and massive I just use reasons midi out, razor is one of my fav synths the sound is so big, but u pay for that bigness with your cpu. lol…. i could never get into the workflow of abelton, i learned it but prefer reason cause I've been using it for so long
By inflict3 Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:05 am
just open the vst on its own and go into the pref of the vst and set it to reasons midi, reason has a midi device in the rack u can set with the vst,./ there are tuts on youtube, it worked out for me right away but check out youtube if u have trouble,. shit was tight though to have reason controlling NI Razor,. like a dream come true, do you know how long i waited for reason to have midi out?? like 12 or 13 years…hahahahahaa
By DJ Supreme Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:15 pm
Don't blame any software for thin sounding tracks. Blame the
Producers mix / and samples used.(weak azz samples
Are hard to make punchy sometimes).

Same goes to thin tracks made with hardware.

Oh by the way did I mention If I sold all my hardware I would use my
Reason for Life :nod: yup. Best program out there to me :mrgreen:

Keep those updates comin....
By rookie Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:12 pm
bro I hard hardware synths that sound thicker than others, your not gonna get the same sound from an Alesis QSR that you will from a korg triton extreme, straight out the box.
By Corleone Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:37 pm
Got my hands on the beta last night, and I have to say its pretty underwhelming.

I think they could've either waited for further development before going to 8, or released this as a .5 edition.

Unless something drastic happens before the 30th in terms of addition, I can't see the Props getting my $129.
By distortedtekno Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:29 am
Corleone wrote:Got my hands on the beta last night, and I have to say its pretty underwhelming.

I think they could've either waited for further development before going to 8, or released this as a .5 edition.

Unless something drastic happens before the 30th in terms of addition, I can't see the Props getting my $129.

As much as I'd like to say something positive, I won't breach my NDA with Props by mentioning anything outside their Beta Forum. :idea:
By Corleone Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:44 am
distortedtekno wrote:
Corleone wrote:Got my hands on the beta last night, and I have to say its pretty underwhelming.

As much as I'd like to say something positive, I won't breach my NDA with Props by mentioning anything outside their Beta Forum. :idea:

Perhaps I should go have a look there myself!
By distortedtekno Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 pm
Corleone wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:

Perhaps I should go have a look there myself!

No doubt. 7 days left until the release day. It should be interesting to see how this goes down with everyone. Lots of mixed reaction on the user forum and the beta forum. But I'm just chillin with my popcorn. :popcorn:
By distortedtekno Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:12 pm
Less than 24 hours to go. But it looks like I'm not gonna upgrade until 8.1 or 8.5, or whatever's next. I don't feel that 8.0 is ready for prime-time at all.
By Rockin'DoublZ Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm
aes-one wrote:just got reason 8 and it is dope!!

For me this would be a big upgrade cause I'm still on R5 and I barely scratched the surface but I have the basics down and been on a roll making beats with it. Reason has never crashed on me. It's a dope program and I learned that you gotta put in some work before call in it quits just like with any program and hardware. I'm at the stage of workin on my mixes and mixdown, gettin it to sound good. Anyhowz so far my 2008 Intel Mac hasn't died yet but im worried that it will soon, so I'm on the fence about coppin a new macbook and either going with R8 or live 9, I've seen the previews for R8 and like what I see but I like the feel of live,(ive messed with the live demo that was v5)making beats on the fly and changing sequences. My other option would just stick with R5/Mcbook 08 and cop a used 404, until my mcbook dies, my workflow would be, make the beat in reason then resample on the 404, I can do live mutes, tweek sequences... Anybody care to shed some light???? Peace...
By distortedtekno Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:13 am
Rockin'DoublZ wrote:
aes-one wrote:just got reason 8 and it is dope!!

For me this would be a big upgrade cause I'm still on R5 and I barely scratched the surface but I have the basics down and been on a roll making beats with it. Reason has never crashed on me. It's a dope program and I learned that you gotta put in some work before call in it quits just like with any program and hardware. I'm at the stage of workin on my mixes and mixdown, gettin it to sound good. Anyhowz so far my 2008 Intel Mac hasn't died yet but im worried that it will soon, so I'm on the fence about coppin a new macbook and either going with R8 or live 9, I've seen the previews for R8 and like what I see but I like the feel of live,(ive messed with the live demo that was v5)making beats on the fly and changing sequences. My other option would just stick with R5/Mcbook 08 and cop a used 404, until my mcbook dies, my workflow would be, make the beat in reason then resample on the 404, I can do live mutes, tweek sequences... Anybody care to shed some light???? Peace...

You'll get a lot for your money upgrading from R5 to R8. But you'll definitely need to upgrade the Mac, since Reason uses a lot more DSP nowadays. I recommend a quad core i7 at the very least. You can try the 30 day demo of R8 and be able to try Rack Extensions in the shop with it as well now. Try it on the '08 Mac you're running now if it's compatible with your OS. Then you can decide between that and Live 9, or both since the R8 upgrade is only $129. With a new Macbook you can run both with ReWire. Definitely a worthy combo, especially these days.

If you don't want to invest in the DAW upgrades just yet, then go for the 404 and stick with R5. But I'd also recommend Reaper. You can try it for free and continue to use it free after the 30 day trail period is up. Record all of your audio tracks in Reaper as the ReWire master to Reason. You can also sync and record the 404's patterns into Reaper. Tweak the 404's FX while synced and recording in Reaper and you'll end up with lots of nice tracks to work with. Mix it all down in Reaper and you got yourself a decent workflow with the combination of that R5 and the 404.

I bought the 404SX a few months ago and I like to sync and record into R7, then experiment with a few Rack Extensions for more effects. The 404 and the 404SX have really nice sounding effects on their own. But the REs take it to another level. The 404SX and R7 have been a good combo for me. Ever since Reason got audio tracks in R6 and MIDI Out in R7, I haven't needed anything else. Before R7 I had to use Reaper to record my hardware, which is why I recommend it to you to ReWire it with Reason to get similar results without really having to spend any money to find out if it works for you. The only money you'd be spending is for the 404, which you can always resell if you don't like it. But I think you might like it whether you use it with a DAW or on it's own. There's a lot of creative potential in the 404 and you'll come up with a lot of good ideas when you start to notice that from using it.