Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By ballin102 Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:50 am
I have the MPC 2500. Basically I want to press the pads, record the notes into logic and when I press play on logic, the notes trigger the sounds back from the MPC. In a sense its like using the MPC as a sound module.

I set up my midi interface and mpc in the audio midi set up application so that logic can recognize the mpc. I set up the midi channel to 1a in the mpc as well.

After setting up an external midi instrument in logic i then record a pattern on the mpc. Logic was able to record the midi information but i am unable to get the midi notes to trigger the mpc sounds when i play the recorded midi in logic.
By selecta jo Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:29 am
welcome to the forums!

what advantage are you trying to accieve by recording this way?

excuse the stupid question, but it happened before: do you have checked if your midi cables are ok, maybe swap the cables around as the one that is going to logic seems to be ok? also do you know that the mpc is not intended to be a "sound module" and it can recieve midi only on the active track?

so check if logic is really sending out midi data in the transport window or better on your midi interface if it has a led for midi signals, check your cables, check if you have the right track selected and a program loaded in the mpc.

if you set up a midi track and a midi channel in the mpc that will not work, because this is only for the sequencer in the mpc.

if you want logic to trigger sounds in the mpc you have to set your program to "drum" and load the program with the sounds you want to trigger. no need for setting the midi channel, this is only for the way out of the mpc to logic or other soundmodules or synths.
the mpc two midi in connectors are merged and the mpc always listens on all midi channels for incoming signals - that is why the sequencer can record every midi information, but you still only can trigger one program on the active track.

normally that should work, but only with one track and one program on the mpc.

peace, jo
By bliprock Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:25 am
in logic, have you set up the midi environment? maybe not set to out?
midi or drum does not matter, sorry joe. Just make sure its got a program. You can set it to multitimbral mode to atually play 16 tracks at once if needed and not just one like active track.
By selecta jo Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:19 pm
this tread from 2005 (!) explains why the mpc 2500 is not multitimbral: http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=38437

sorry blip!

there is some information in that tread on how to do some workaround technique to get to a similiar goal.

and it may be possilble with the alternative os xl 2.3, but as the op has not stated which os he is using i always assume the stock akai os as a foundation for my comments.

peace, jo