Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By acronym Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:30 pm
Had a MPC live a while back and sold it because I needed the money and well the OS wasn't great as I experienced crashes frequently. I made bank so I was happy.

However, I was thinking of getting an Ipad Pro with BM3 and an midi keyboard say the irig keys i/o where I can sample stuff and feed to my OT.

Now it seems like BM3 can do everything Live can do and better it seems, I admit I'm tempted via the ios route as I do have some synths I bought ages ago but any advice?
By Wormhelmet Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:06 pm
I would personally choose BM3. It has some issues still but they work on bugs quickly and if you use a launchpad or even a 16 pad controller coupled with it, some pretty crazy potential with IAA, AU, and Audiobus options plus multisampled instruments from Intua. It’s got some really outstanding features built in if you like working on iPads.

If I didn’t have so much love for working with hardware music gear, I’d be pretty happy just with BM3 and my iOS synths and a good controller. I still like to use it with hardware too. BM3 is multitimbral and setting up midi in/out to an external synth (or several) is pretty easy. On the other hand, I only have the iMPC apps to compare to, not the actual Live or X, but it’s a clear winner hands down for beating iMPC Pro 2
By Ill-Green Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:12 am
You bought it the first time and didn't like it so I don't think a second time is the charm. There are some new goodies since 2.0, though Akai implements shit I don't need but its good to know its there. Some things are out of wack, for instance, I would have prefered audio tracks in Song Mode than for the sequences. Song Mode should have been a multitrack section to chain sequences and record audio in the audio tracks. Also, you still can't loop samples from the pad. Its been like that since the birth of the MPC1000. If the Live had those things, it would be the ultimate piece.
By Lampdog Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 am
acronym wrote:Anyone else chime in

Every since going BM3 on iPad Pro I rarely look at my triton and 4k, mostly for ipad midi duty w/ iconnect midi. I was traveling heavy a while back when I got into BM2 on iPad. Been sold every
since.

BM3 is a BEAST.
By inflict3 Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:10 am
Go BM3 route :worthy: **** life saver..all my shit is collecting dust lately, I hardly have time, the wife and I are running a restaurant and time is hard to come by these days, bm3 is perfect if you are always on the move, an iPad is easy to carry around.
By acronym Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm
Cheers, I was thinking of the op- 1 but had it twice and sold it and then miss it. Ipad would be better, since I'm an artist first and music second. Just damn the op-1 is calling out to me as well since the live is now out of contention.

However, does the live have automation editing or is that still on the to do list?
By acronym Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:24 pm
Lampdog wrote:
acronym wrote:Anyone else chime in

Every since going BM3 on iPad Pro I rarely look at my triton and 4k, mostly for ipad midi duty w/ iconnect midi. I was traveling heavy a while back when I got into BM2 on iPad. Been sold every
since.

BM3 is a BEAST.

I hated the fact that I missed out BM3 for free, it just really irks me and stops me from buying it hoping it come out for free again.
By Aerz Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:02 pm
The reason I copped my iPad Pro is for BM3 when BM3 first dropped July of last year. I have been on it ever since and I'm very comfortable with it as well. I have created a lot with BM3. I recently copped an MPC Live a few months ago and haven't really gotten to it as of yet. I have also copped the Teenage Engineering PO-33 KO sampler recently as well just to play around with it. The Live was only really purchased as an back up to my Ipad Pro/BM3 just in case. My Ableton Push 2 and Studio One is collecting dust.
By Smackdee Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 pm
I actually got an iPad Pro to use as a sound module with the live and that was cool but I was blown away by what I was getting done in just BM3 alone, it’s truly a daw with bits of everything built in(MPC,Ableton,logic,etc) Now it’s not an MPC and the workflow isn’t as fun but it is very productive and easy to learn... So I’ll put it like this, you’ll definitely have to have the MPC and computer (laptop) to do what the iPad and a few apps can do by itself.... So if you’re sitting in your lab all day then by all means get the MPC but if you want an Uber powerful portable system stop now and get an iPad Pro and BM3, the new AuV3 format for synths and effects just pushes the iPad over the top for me and this is coming from an MPC,Ableton and push2 lover!
By Lampdog Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:39 pm
acronym wrote:
I hated the fact that I missed out BM3 for free, it just really irks me and stops me from buying it hoping it come out for free again.

I remember using BM2 and thinking this just CAN’T get any better.

inflict3 was like “BM3 just came out and it’s free for a limited time!”

I JUMPED, scrambled and clawed my way through the ios dirt and grime to get it and
was NOT disappointed. I still would have bought a premium version. Best ios app I ever had.

By coolderb Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:54 am
Pete Sasqwax wrote:HOLY **** - Fabfilter is on iOS too now? Damn!

It has been on IOS for a while but was only available in Auria Pro. Now it available as an AudioUnit plugin and can be loaded into any AU Host including Beatmaker 3.