Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By distortedtekno Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:57 pm
Metatron72 wrote:
distortedtekno wrote:I just bought the Audio Damage Rough Rider compressor for $19. It's on sale until July 7th. The original price is $29. Definitely worth the money, after doing several comparisons to all the other compressors in Reason. A friend of mine said it has similar characteristics to the LA-2a. This compressor is bangin!!! :nod:

Nice. I LOVE Audio Damage. I have all their stuff except the newer filter and panner. DubStation 1.5 is literally the best $49 I ever spent on anything musical. I'd pay full price again for an RE version in a heartbeat.

I've been out of the loop as far as VSTs are concerned. But I'm learning that Audio Damage got it together. There's a few people on the Props User Forum complaining that the RE should be free since the VST version is. But honestly, even at the full price of $29, it's so worth it. For $19, I'm blown away! :nod:
By Metatron72 Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:21 pm
I hadn't realized it wasn't the Pro version. Multiband is the main addition on the Rough Rider Pro.

You make a good point about AD in general distortedtekno. Yes it's a company selling a free VST in another format for 19$/29$, but the thing I love about AD products is they are generally on par with much more expensive VST's. Those guys are of the mindset that VST's ought to be in general under a $100.

If Softube or someone (their stuff is excellent though) sold DubStation 1.5 for $150 people myself included I confess, would probably not see it as gouging. Obviously the plugin needs to be high quality, but pricing and our willingness to pay at certain tiers seems very much related to perception and track record of the company.

I think it works in the other direction too in the case of this Rough Rider RE. AD's Chris Randall is probably the bluntest guy I've seen in this industry. He would likely readily admit that they are offsetting costs for the other RE conversions by getting some dough on a product that they normally give out as a "crack sample".
But it's inevitable their whole line goes RE eventually and they will all likely be cheaper than the VST counterparts which are already some of the best bargains around.

I gotta come back with some "tips and tricks" later. I'm turning this thread into "Reason Stream of Conscious" :lol:

I'll try dig out a Combinator patch from CM UK years ago that juggles 8 Rex players triggered by Matrix modules. with the patterns changed on the macro knobs. It's pretty sick. I usually replace the samples it was loaded with but if you follow their layout (drums, tones etc. in the slots they had them) you can stick just about anything in it.
By distortedtekno Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:51 pm
I agree with you 100%. The quality is all there, regardless of it not being the Pro version. Drums slam with this RE, and it's dead easy to use as well. I know the dev can be very blunt, from what I've read. But that don't bother me at all. It's all about what's being offered for the price, which is definitely more than fair in my opinion. I really had to weigh it all out before buying, even though it's only $19 at the moment. None of Reason's compressors had the flavor that Rough Rider does. But I had to be sure anyway and test everything for myself, since it's important that I actually use what I buy, as opposed to collecting REs simply because they're on sale. It's all about quality over quantity. Most, if not all the REs are amazing. But I wouldn't be able to afford all of them at once. So I've made a lot of smart decisions, going back from when I sold some hardware for the Mac Mini, as well as what I was gonna settle for with MIDI controllers (too many products with too much hype out there can lead to spending more than what I wanted for what I actually need). So I've spent a lot of time narrowing down everything possible.

But anyway, I'd love to see what these combinators are like. I'm still new to that, and haven't spent any time building my own yet. Soon I will, and also look forward to participating in tips and tricks, as the topic was intended. No sense in me trying to move any posts here, since I feel that all this conversation we've all been having here will spark more ideas. So if anyone else is reading and thinking "where's all the tipis and tricks?"... well there will be plenty here amongst the "Reason Stream of Conscious" without a doubt. With everything going on these days in the Reason world, it's always good to share the excitement and everything else. :)
By Metatron72 Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:16 am
Back on Reason 3 when Combinators were introduced I used them in a very basic way. Really just to tidy up my racks by housing the FX chains in the Combinator with the instrument module. After a while I started to really peep what the better Refill makers and cats like Peff were doing. It was then I realized the stuff you could do by utilizing the Spider splitters and the CV triggering was simply bananas. Even just very basic stuff Reason lets you do is awesome. Redrum with the CV routed to 10 Matrix modules is a good example. Sure you could get more than 3 velocities in velocity lane in the sequencer, but with the Matrix method you can store a ton of patterns and have the option to pass the triggers to other modules or sync to FX.

Man after a 40 day wait I sure my green comes through tonight. I'm one of those wackos that makes much better music with herbal assistance. :mrgreen:

Looking to puff some and re-introduce my BCF2000 to Reason tonight. I highly recommend those for heavy Reason users. The knobs are horrible but motorized faders for $200 is pretty good.
By distortedtekno Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:49 am
Yeah I gotta try that out. Sounds interesting.
Speaking of the green, I agree with you there as well. It gets me in the creative zone too. :smoker:
By Reason101 Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:46 pm
FYI... I just came out with a new Reason Book called Robert Anselmi's "Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason Rack"

I think that might count for some Reason tips & tricks?

There's some free sample sections from the book that you can download here:
http://www.reason101.net/products/reaso ... ason-rack/

All my best,
Rob
Last edited by Reason101 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By inflict3 Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm
man, ima have to check this thread out more!!!
By distortedtekno Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:17 am
Reason101 wrote:FYI... I just came out with a new Reason Book called Robert Anselmi's "Reason101 Visual Guide to the Reason Rack"

I think that might count for some Reason tips & tricks?

There's some free sample sections from the book that you can download here:
http://www.reason101.net/products/reaso ... ason-rack/

All my best,
Rob

Thanks Rob. Welcome to the forums and congrats on the book. I've seen you on the Propellerhead User Forum and found your website to be a great resource in recent years since my friend James Bernard had Propellerhead send me a copy of Reason 6 when it was released. Since then, I've been enjoying the learning experience and glad to see Reason 7 meet all my needs as my DAW of choice. Keep up the good work! :)
By distortedtekno Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:20 am
inflict3 wrote:man, ima have to check this thread out more!!!

Now that it's been brought back to life, we'll definitely have to keep it alive. :)
By distortedtekno Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am
Metatron72 wrote:ima have to get Reason 7... :mrgreen:

I highly recommend it if you like all the new features as well as the power of the Reason rack. The creative possibilities are endless, especially now with ReCycle integration, mixer busses, and MIDI Out. From what I've read, Reason 7 detects transients even better than ReCycle. The Rack Extensions are really getting better and better as well. :nod:
By Metatron72 Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:55 am
Indeed. I've just had no $ for software or updates for about a year now. But at least I finally learned to make due with older versions and still look forward to upgrading.

I still have a fair amount of hardware so I'm really looking forward to the MIDI Out. Truth be told I'm faster on Reason than anything...until I remember that haven't updated the laggy browser in over a decade as far as how it buffers your sound locations into RAM. It's crazy to me the don't fix it or work in a side bar browser.
By inflict3 Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:27 pm
Reason is still pretty dope!