Sub-forum for discussion about the DAWs and mobile apps that you use with your MPCs
By Coz Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:11 pm
What's New in Cubase 6.5

SYNTHESIS
The most notable additions have been a couple of synths that flesh the Cubase VST package out into something a lot more formidable. The Retrologue for instance uses traditional synth architecture – two oscillators, a sub, an LFO and filtering, all of which can be mixed and sent to any destination you choose. It recreates the big fat sounds that are currently enjoying a vintage renaissance, and is a welcome addition to the setup.

But it’s the Padshop that has us the most excited – dual-layered granular synthesis that allows you to cross-fade and blend between layers. Each layer and the output as a whole can be modified on pitch, filter and FX parameters, and with waveform editing you end up with completely unique, lush and warm pad sounds. Fantastic for those who are looking to bring atmospherics into the mix, and both synths can fire up media-bay presets at the drop of a hat.

GUITARS
Guitarists can head straight for the built-in sets of amplifiers, fx pedals, cabs and mics, all modelled to bring useable, easily-editable sounds to the mix. The amp rack you’ll already know from 6, of course, but there are new artist presets here too for good measure, and new FX ‘boxes’ too.

EQ’S AND FILTERS
The morph filter is neat – you’ll know it from Halion 4, perhaps – and allows you to perform real-time curve dragging on cutoff, resonance etc. It means you can record automation while you’re dragging it around as the track is playing back.

A DJ EQ mix feature allows you to kill lows, mids and/or highs as you need. Alternatively you can drag out your own lo- and hi-cuts on the curve yourself. It’s been designed to help you get a real grip of your bass mix.

EXTRA FUNCTIONS
Lossless audio encoding is a nice touch too – reduce the amount of space you’re taking up on the hard drive by as much as 60 per cent without compromising the integrity of your recordings. For good measure, when you’re exporting it can now not only be in MP3, FLAC or WAV, but it can upload straight to your registered Soundcloud page too!

Rewire for 64-bit allows you to use the plug-ins of choice you’ve been after in their full compatible glory of course, and for good measure there’s even a Chinese language option thrown into the mix.

Cubase 6.5, then, adds even more to an already-innovative package – Variaudio and comping functions have already turned a lot of heads – so it’s an extra incentive if you’re thinking of upgrading from version 4 or 5, then it couldn’t be a better time to take the leap.

Of course, if you already have Cubase 6 or Cubase 6 Artist (and bought it in 2012) then the update is free direct from Steinberg’s website.
By distortedtekno Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:01 am
Looks interesting how they're adding similar features that Logic has.... guitar pedals, amps, and more synths. The DAW market is getting better, being that they're more versatile in covering different genres and different needs. For me it's a step in the right direction because I really enjoy plugging my guitar in and working on entirely different music at times. I know I'm not the only one who's multi-genre'd when it comes to making music. :)
By gertie Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:05 am
have they made it user friendly this time lol....cubase seems to have convoluted ways of acheiving results which were far easier in other daws
By Coz Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:48 am
I still find certain things convoluted but they've made plenty of useful tweaks to the overall program. 6 was a nice step up from SX 2 anyway! 8)
By RepRSP Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 pm
update is not free, they charge 49 Euros