Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Fanu Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:37 pm
Is there a way to compensate for latency caused by plugins?

I'm a huge fan of Acustica Audio and Slate Digital products, for example, but they cause a notable delay when used as track inserts.
Is there a way to compensate for this?
By Fanu Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:03 am
DJ Hellfire wrote:The workaround would be to also insert the plugin on all tracks to make all have an equal delay.

Yeah, I thought of that, but it gets a bit silly when you have, say, 9 tracks.
I guess one shouldn't use UAD plugins for now. I love using Pultec EQ on a kick, for example, but what it does is it delays the kick and nothing else, and that's a groove killer.

I often use Slate Digital's Virtual Tape Machine on the master, which delays the master signal too – you notice it when you use the metronome in recording. That's not that bad, as it delays everything by the same amount, so you can just turn off the metronome.

I'd love to see this get addressed.
By Horseclick Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:52 am
how , as it will always affect the timing ?

plugin latency compensation will make things worse, SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU BANG OUT THE PADS AND GET SOMETHING STARTED.

THEN YOU START USING VSTS ETC INDUCING LATENCY IN ORDER TO COMPENSATE THIS THE PROGRAMME WILL BASICALLY DELAY EVERYTHING, SO NOW YOU HIT A PAD TO ADD SOMETHING NEW, AND THE TIMING IS OFF.

PLUGIN LATENCY COMPENSATION IS GARBAGE AND WILL ALWAYS FEEL SLOPPY AND MORE IMPORTANTLY EFFECT REALTIME TIMING AND GROOVE WHEN YOU WANT TO START ADDING MORE TO YOUR TRACKS.

IF YOUR LAYING A DRUM TACK LOW BUFFER/LATENCY ALL IS GOOD, BUT SOON TURNS TO A SHIT STORM WHEN YOU START ADDING MORE MAKE BELIEVE FAIRY DUST PLUGINS THAT MAKE THINGS SOUND LIKE MAKE BELIEVE TAPE FAIRY TALE EQ'S , PREAMPS, COMPS.

CANT BE BOTHERED TO RETYPE THIS WITHOUT CAPS BUT IM NOT SHOUTING :Sigh:
By Nubian Mindz Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:04 pm
Fanu-You must have read my mind as this was going to be my next post today.

With 2.0 around the corner and the software turning into a fledgling DAW I'd love to have plug in delay compensation included so we can do lots and lots of parallel compression and not have a ton of phasing :/

C'mon Akai, make it happen!

:)
By Spoff77 Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 pm
A proper plug-in delay compensation implementation will not have any of the problems listed below. I use Digital Performer and it works great and has none of the issues you list. One reason is that the program keeps track of the latency and will move your new recorded hits to where they should be based on how much latency there was at that given moment.

Is the suggested workaround for this a joke?

Since the software supports third party plug-ins it really needs delay compensation.

Spoff

[quote="Horseclick"]how , as it will always affect the timing ?

plugin latency compensation will make things worse, SAY FOR EXAMPLE YOU BANG OUT THE PADS AND GET SOMETHING STARTED.

THEN YOU START USING VSTS ETC INDUCING LATENCY IN ORDER TO COMPENSATE THIS THE PROGRAMME WILL BASICALLY DELAY EVERYTHING, SO NOW YOU HIT A PAD TO ADD SOMETHING NEW, AND THE TIMING IS OFF.

PLUGIN LATENCY COMPENSATION IS GARBAGE AND WILL ALWAYS FEEL SLOPPY AND MORE IMPORTANTLY EFFECT REALTIME TIMING AND GROOVE WHEN YOU WANT TO START ADDING MORE TO YOUR TRACKS.

IF YOUR LAYING A DRUM TACK LOW BUFFER/LATENCY ALL IS GOOD, BUT SOON TURNS TO A **** STORM WHEN YOU START ADDING MORE MAKE BELIEVE FAIRY DUST PLUGINS THAT MAKE THINGS SOUND LIKE MAKE BELIEVE TAPE FAIRY TALE EQ'S , PREAMPS, COMPS.

CANT BE BOTHERED TO RETYPE THIS WITHOUT CAPS BUT IM NOT SHOUTING :Sigh:[/quote]
By DJ Hellfire Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:49 pm
Horseclick wrote:how , as it will always affect the timing ?

IF YOUR LAYING A DRUM TACK LOW BUFFER/LATENCY ALL IS GOOD, BUT SOON TURNS TO A SHIT STORM WHEN YOU START ADDING MORE MAKE BELIEVE FAIRY DUST PLUGINS THAT MAKE THINGS SOUND LIKE MAKE BELIEVE TAPE FAIRY TALE EQ'S , PREAMPS, COMPS.

Generally you would wait until the beat is finished before throwing on real mixing plugins. When you're just mixing the beat, plugin delay is not an issue.
By Fanu Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:21 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:

IF YOUR LAYING A DRUM TACK LOW BUFFER/LATENCY ALL IS GOOD, BUT SOON TURNS TO A **** STORM WHEN YOU START ADDING MORE MAKE BELIEVE FAIRY DUST PLUGINS THAT MAKE THINGS SOUND LIKE MAKE BELIEVE TAPE FAIRY TALE EQ'S , PREAMPS, COMPS.

Generally you would wait until the beat is finished before throwing on real mixing plugins. When you're just mixing the beat, plugin delay is not an issue.

...as long as it's being compensated for :)
By TT_Lab Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:16 pm
Sometimes I put a plugin like acon eq to filter some things from the sample or give a little extra thump to a kick to listen to it while making the beat, and in those ocasions I really miss PDC.
By Horseclick Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:50 pm
DJ Hellfire wrote:

i agree, but i typed what i did in the context of actually composing a beat, certain plugins will induce latency , thats when things get sloppy, with and without pdc.

with making any new composed things >> timing and response gets sloppy and spoils your natural groove
without>>>>>> things getting pushed away from there orignal position by x amount depending on plugins latency.

its a catch 22 situation.

without for composition

with for mixing

will mpc 2.0 allow you to switch between pdc and no pdc.......................

as with the audition of audio tracks i believe they should have a mixing tab inbuilt to mix your music and press to tape (convert all parts to audio) then to mix these parts with newly added audio ie vox......
By Spoff77 Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:52 pm
Hi Horseclick,

It seems from what that page is saying Logic doesn't have the best implantation, however Digital Performer for example will move what you record forward to compensate for you hitting it late because you are hearing it late, and such a system does not have the issues you are worried about. What you bring up is also involves audio recording. I would at least like to have plug-in delay compensation on playback.

Spoff

[quote="Horseclick"]hey dont take my word

https://documentation.apple.com/en/logi ... tasks=true[/quote]
By Spoff77 Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:00 am
[quote="DJ Hellfire"][quote="Horseclick"]how , as it will always affect the timing ?

CANT BE BOTHERED TO RETYPE THIS WITHOUT CAPS BUT IM NOT SHOUTING :Sigh:[/quote]

Generally you would wait until the beat is finished before throwing on real mixing plugins. When you're just mixing the beat, plugin delay is not an issue.[/quote]

If all you want to do is put some plugs across the whole beat then that is correct. But many of us want to put plugs on individual sounds and tracks, and then not having PDC is a big issue. Individual drum sounds wind up getting delayed compared to others in the same beat depending on which plug-in you put on each sound.

Spoff