Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:59 am
Ah yes, but the DAW model is based on a standalone software model. I can buy Ableton Live 8 from Ableton's web site as a standalone application. And when it becomes a bit old in the tooth, I will upgrade to Live 9 and as an existing Live 8 owner will no doubt be offered a reduced upgrade fee. And this entire process is completely independant of any hardware I may be using - even if I buy a DAW whose software is tied into specific branded hardware, I can still able to buy the software license separately and then buy the hardware separately.

The MPC Renaissance is a software/hardware hybrid. I cannot purchase the MPC Software as a standalone application, the two are intertwined. So yes, when the software is old in the tooth, Akai hopefully release updates and I assume paid upgrades. But what happens when the hardware gets dated? I assume Ren XL comes out, but as an existing hardware owner, will I be offered a reduced fee 'upgrade' to the new hardware? Can I send in my Ren to Akai and get a part exchange deal?

You see the difference? Now, one option would be to sell my Ren on ebay so I can recoup some cash to put towards the Ren XL. But what about the new owner? He's buying knowing he has no hardware upgrade path - he cannot sell the hardware because it's locked into the now non-transferrable software license.

This would be all very easily solved by allowing both the hardware and software to be bought separately - or at least the MPC Software license can be bought separately. So the Ren still can only work with the MPC software, that tie in remains, but when I sell my 'Ren' I'm just selling the Ren hardware, the software license would still have to be repurchased by the new owner. So Akai are happy as they make some money from a second hand sale (which they never do from any other MPC second hand sales), I'm happy because I can now afford to buy the Ren XL (and hence Akai are even happier), and my buyer is happy as he knows that in the future he can sell his Ren with no hassle.

Splashman wrote:one phrase:
Akai don´t tell me what i have to do with the things what im buying :fku:

Well unfortunately we live in the world of the EULA (end user license agreement). Software manufacturers tend to be very restrictive in what you can and can't do - you have to remember you are not 'buying' the software, you are just licensing it. But again, when you decide to bring in hardware tie-in, you complicate the situation. People expect the right to sell the hardware on the second (and third and fourth) hand market, but the software license appears to be putting a restriction on that freedom.

To be fair, Akai have clearly tried to come up something to address common license grumbles (4 computers for example, while most software only allows a single computer), and one license transfer is better than none, but unless they are willing to offer the MPC Software license as a separate purchase (only for Ren second hand sale purposes) then it's quite a limited, short term solution.

Of course without that solution, people simply become more determined to find ways around it. It's inevitable.
By JAH Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:35 am
This is the exact same issue with the Maaschine MKII controller. No upgrades or discounts for existing users. I am about to put my Maschine on eBay to make room for the upgrade.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am
JAH wrote:This is the exact same issue with the Maaschine MKII controller. No upgrades or discounts for existing users. I am about to put my Maschine on eBay to make room for the upgrade.

What's NI's policy on license transfers? One time like Akai, or unlimited? Payment required?
By JAH Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:31 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
JAH wrote:This is the exact same issue with the Maaschine MKII controller. No upgrades or discounts for existing users. I am about to put my Maschine on eBay to make room for the upgrade.

What's NI's policy on license transfers? One time like Akai, or unlimited? Payment required?

I know for a fact you can transfer the license once without a fee as I have done so at least twice. It wasn't a hassle to do. I am not sure beyond that.
By alexbuga Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:27 am
Really ? That's crap :)

Ableton has 5 or so.

And after I consumed them (installing at work, and on 2 computers at home), formated the computer... I've emailed support and they happily gave me another 5 or so...
By Metatron72 Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:03 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:

Just email them and ask the serial to be removed from your account. Serial goes active again, show the buyer the email from NI that confirms the dropping of the serial from your user account. Buyer registers as if he bought it new. No fees, although education licenses my not be sold or transferred.
By konc3pt Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:44 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Okay for people who may be interested, I just read the EULA from the installer, so here's the answers to some of my questions:

1) One time transfer is permitted, but only for the person who originally bought the Ren. So if you buy second hand yourself, a) assume you cannot transfer the license to anyone else (i.e. you cannot resell that Ren), and b) make sure the person you are buying from was the original hardware purchaser - this is going to make second hand sales somewhat risky, because you'll really want them to transfer to you first before you pay. It would be good if there's a way to get confirmation direct from Akai - i.e. a system which confirms if a license has been previously transferred.

Now whether Akai will strictly enforce this I do not know, but if they do, this is going to hamper the second hand value of the Ren.

:shock: if they going to implement something like this then they should make it easy to identify if you're dealing with original purchaser or 2nd hand owner.
Considering most 2nd hand transactions happen in public places and not everybody got a laptop handy, this for sure will make things much harder on 2nd resales.

I believe its already hapmered 2nd hand value of Ren, I saw them on ebay on local craigslist within week of its release in $800 range.
By Louie lou Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:10 pm
Mine is locked and needs to be cleared. I only had 3 installs and installing it on the same PC twice counts as 2. SMH. Oh and it you try to use the MPC software in multiple accounts in the same PC then you will be screwed too. You will get a denied authorization on the same PC for any extra account if you exceeded the limit. I don't know if its doing this on the MAC.
By grinchmob Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:41 pm
I talked to them when I sold my Studio...it's 4 licenses and they where more than happy to reset it back to zero for me. The hold time to talk to them was about 15 mins though... :roll: P.S They only take about 3 seconds to do it.
By TYPO Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:03 am
Blue Haze wrote:Reaper the audio editor yes.

But daws such as live, logic , cubase operate on the same principle. Seems a lot of us are just getting started with software sequencers.

Come on man really this statement is not even close to being correct. :o