Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Metatron72 Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:25 am
Can't confirm, no Ren here. But it is a more common policy than people realize. Sometimes it's 5 or 6 other times it's 3 in a matter of days and you're locked out.

Spectrasonics, FXpansion, and Ableton all utilize the same policy. I think it's wack as hell. I bought the license, if I want to install it 100 times in a day, let me. Especially considering in all these cases the online company server knows it's the same user and ISP.
By Metatron72 Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:44 am
If the Ren is like the other vendors software I mentioned it takes about 12-24 hours for a support response and they gladly reset your unlock counter to zero. Again I personally don't know if the Ren software will lock you after a certain amount of install attempts.

Again in general I think it's not the best way to handle a license unlock, and if the Ren unlock is like that you're right it's even crazier as the unit itself is a dongle in addition to the server knowing full well it's the same user.
By JAH Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:53 am
I thought is was 4 times and you could do it online or offline. Regardless there is a limit imposed. If you exceed that limit, you will have to get your authorizations cleared. I guess that are trying to make it 2x as difficult for hackers/crackers.

I currently have the Ren authorized on a PC and Mac.
By bobbybland Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 am
That's bullshit, no offense , but if I'm having cpu issues and reinstalls for example, THE LAST THING i NEED TO DO IS WAIT ON TECH SUPPORT TO fix my serial numbers or clear anything!

The software is pointless to crack, as it's meaningless with the dongle, (the controller)
By JAH Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:49 am
You can install it on the same computer as many times as you like. You just can't install it on numerous computers; there is an imposed limit. Not too different than having 5 computers authorized to play your iTunes purchased content.

So if you can install it on 3-4 computers, what are the chances you will have trouble with all those computers at the same time?
By DJ Hellfire Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 am
Yup, unfortunately a lot of software is like this. Even my Avid Torq software is like this. 4 authorizations only.

Splashman wrote:I don´t understand it if the software don´t work without the hardware.
I only see they want finish with the 2º hands market.
i was thinking my next buy and only for that reason i don´t want a renaissance

It comes in handy for them once they release paid versions of software updates in the future, like going from 1.x to 2.0. If they simply allowed just the controller to be the dongle without the authorization method in place, then anyone can install a legit copy of the new version for free and use their controller to run it without paying a dime. Digidesign lost lot's of money on Pro Tools 7 and 8 like this! Well, don't know if they lost money, but people were getting the shit free since all you needed was a password and a digi interface. No need for a crack! It was literally like taking candy from a baby!
By JAH Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:58 am
While they can be a pain in the butt for some, I wouldn't mind if the authorization was stored on an iLock device. I already have software authorizations stored on two USB keys.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:12 am
Would be nice to see some black and white clarification of the license agreement on the web site, just so people can be 100% certain what they are buying into. As someone has already mentioned, people will be wondering about how easy it will be to sell the Ren after it's been registered and authorized. Questions that spring to mind:

1) Will Akai be happy to transfer the license to a third party (free or paid)?

2) If yes, will the new license holder have the same access to software updates and support?

3) What is the license transfer procedure?

4) The site says it can be authorized on 4 computers - is the count also increased by reinstalling on the same computer multiple times?

5) If a reset is needed, what is the procedure and what is the expected turnaround time?

As for iLock or similar, it seems to me that the MPC Ren hardware could have just had this incorporated inside the existing hardware unit?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:33 am
Okay for people who may be interested, I just read the EULA from the installer, so here's the answers to some of my questions:

1) One time transfer is permitted, but only for the person who originally bought the Ren. So if you buy second hand yourself, a) assume you cannot transfer the license to anyone else (i.e. you cannot resell that Ren), and b) make sure the person you are buying from was the original hardware purchaser - this is going to make second hand sales somewhat risky, because you'll really want them to transfer to you first before you pay. It would be good if there's a way to get confirmation direct from Akai - i.e. a system which confirms if a license has been previously transferred.

Now whether Akai will strictly enforce this I do not know, but if they do, this is going to hamper the second hand value of the Ren.

2) As such, I assume the new license holder will get the same rights are the original holder.

4) It can be authorized on 4 computers within your home or business network, but cannot be used concurrently on more than 1 computer at a time.
By Blue Haze Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am
Glad that is cleared up. Software is different from hardware so we all have to be aware of the difference every before buying the new software/controller Ren. It is the same or more in common if you look at in the same way daws are sold.
By Splashman Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:22 am
What many companies do not mean it is logical or even moral, with upgrades will not add revolutionary features have not yet been invented, so they will want to do is sell a product by parts unfinished.
And I disagree on what that one thing is another hardware and software when one does not work without the other.