Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By j_exp_lordy Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:13 am
Hello, so apparently I am on my last authorization for my mpc studio. I've deleted it once, installed it back once 1.3 was released and after that I mentioned to the akai support team that I wanted to sell it and they told me via email that I was on my last 1 and only 1 new person will get 3 new authorizations in a transfer. I couldn't sell it locally and decided to keep it. It is a pretty cool piece of gear no doubt but I'm thinking of upgrading my computer soon so now I wonder, What does happen after you run out of authorizations? Would akai really cut you right off after paying 650.00 for a studio or 1400.00 for a ren or would they give you as many as you need? has anyone got to that point yet?
It would sure suck to buy a ren and have it be useless 4-5 years down the road. At least with a hardware mpc, you can make beats on it as long as you want! They will eventually make another new mpc probably sooner then later. It will be interesting to see if Akai will give more authorizations for the older hybrid hardware or if they just say "too bad, buy the new one".
Anyways I'm not trying to hate, I just want answers from the from people on here and how they feel about this. Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:47 am
Currently no one really has the answers to this issue other than what Akai officially say, and publicly they aren't really saying much on this beyond what's in the license agreement. There's this on the akaiprompc site:

akaiprompc.com wrote:How many computers can I authorize the MPC Software on?

The MPC Software can be authorized on 4 computers.

People have posted that Akai have reset their authorisation count (e.g. because they've reinstalled OS etc), but so far I've not seen any license transfer issues discussed. This will of course be a real issue as soon as the second hand Rens get re-sold.

Currently, Akai don't appear to be offering an MPC Software license separately, so I have no idea what happens to the Ren/Studio hardware when the two MPC Software license transfers get used up.
By Metatron72 Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:19 pm
Native Instruments doesn't charge for transfers. You just put in a support ticket and ask the serial be removed and it goes live again. They of course basically use "legitimate spyware" in the form of Service Center to protect themselves, and once it's squared away there you can unlock it 100 times in one day if you want.

More often than not companies charge the transfer fee on the same premise that you see Microsoft moving towards with used video games.

Here in the US a major concern in these situations is buying open boxed stuff and used things that involve a software license from Guitar Center. Their employees simply do not check or ask for confirmation that the one returning or selling the used package to them hasn't kept the license, it makes for some very annoying surprises when you get home.

On open boxes/returned stuff I've not got my bundled software (LE DAW versions and the like) at least 6 times. In one case I returned the interface 4 times and four times the serial was already in use.

All these factors necessitate a clear policy from vendors, and maybe stores like GC could institute some kind of burden of proof when buying your used gear or taking returns. In the case of an unlock/license limit perhaps make you show them the email that you unregistered and check that against the serial and your name if applicable.

But as you mentioned Tutor, Akai has to spell out what the methodology is to un-register permanently or expand on the end game of the 4 unlock limit for someone wanting to sell their unit+serial.
By j_exp_lordy Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm
Thanks for the replies, I'm going to have to contact tech support because I am down to zero and all that I did was bring the studio back to the music store once, re-bought it once 1.3 was announced, mentioned to tech support that I was thinking of selling due to a tight money situation at the time. I didn't actually confirm that I was selling or sold the unit and this is the email that I got

"Thanks for contacting us!

I have removed the one remaining authorization for your MPC Studio. Future users will now have a maximum of 4 authorizations as one would have after purchasing as new."

First off, if this is correct then I was not given 4. This would of been 2. Second of all, I did not confirm that I was selling and also now that I have not sold it, the software still runs on my mac and did not ask me to re-authorize or anything like that. Kind of odd if they actually did remove my authorization?

Now this is not something that effects me right now but I'm running on a 2008 macbook, I feel the need to buy a new one in the next year or so. I will let you all know if Akai fixes this issue for me.
By Metatron72 Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:19 am
I have no tech support dealings with Akai, I just legacy MPC's and an MPD32 here. But with Native instrument there replies or lack there of on Support Tickets is notorious.

At least 7 times they just ignored my ticket outright, other times 40-80 days for satisfaction.

So I learned that hard way there was simply no choice but to to phone them in LA,CA.

You hear muzak for like 20 minutes to over an hour (toll call mind you), but they do pick up as the queue wittles down. Then you tell them your ticket # and basically I say-

Then they sort you out that afternoon or the next morning.

So this sounds really very much the same situation and because you're still the one original owner what does it hurt them to give you a full counter reset?

Not to mention it sounds they're counting your 4 against two separate units you've had like they're licensing you as a single user and not the product itself. I would think any sane phone support would set you straight once you explain how you're trapped due the policy+seeming error.
By SILIS101 Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:20 pm
I was searching the Akai Forum for software authorization. Found this:

If you need authorization assistance at any time, you can visit www.akaipro.com/authorizationhelp to get a resolution in 24 hours (not including weekends or holidays).

Akai support will always be happy to reset authorizations for an end user’s Renaissance/Studio - MPC Software. This includes floor-model sales, used units, as well as units sold from one individual to another.

WORLD HEADQUARTERS

United States

Tel: 401.658.4032

United Kingdom

Tel: 0044 (0) 1252 896000

Germany

Tel: +49 2154 812 99
By boomspot Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:13 am
Had a new Macbook Pro delivered on Friday and apparently I have zero authorizations left. Akai hasn't replied yet, guess this weekend will be MPC free on the new laptop. Hopefully they'll reply on Monday. A system where the user could deauthorize their own computers would be useful and something Akai should look into.

D
By kaydigi Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:58 pm
boomspot wrote:Had a new Macbook Pro delivered on Friday and apparently I have zero authorizations left. Akai hasn't replied yet, guess this weekend will be MPC free on the new laptop. Hopefully they'll reply on Monday. A system where the user could deauthorize their own computers would be useful and something Akai should look into.

D

Call if you can, it takes 2 minutes to reset it there.
By boomspot Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:46 pm
kaydigi wrote:
boomspot wrote:Had a new Macbook Pro delivered on Friday and apparently I have zero authorizations left. Akai hasn't replied yet, guess this weekend will be MPC free on the new laptop. Hopefully they'll reply on Monday. A system where the user could deauthorize their own computers would be useful and something Akai should look into.

D

Call if you can, it takes 2 minutes to reset it there.

Phone support is only available during business hours.