Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By jayber Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:50 pm
MPC Element using MPC Essentials software:

Having created 2 sequences, how can I play them simultaneously? E.g. create a song with sequences playing in parallel rather than just one after another?

The Manual has a Quick Start section describing how to create a drum sequence then a bass sequence using a keygroup. It then shows you how to create a song. Great. However if you follow those examples you'd have a song made up of a drum sequence followed by a bass sequence, which isn't much use is it?

I haven't found anyway to combine different sequences playing in parallel into a single song, which is essential if using keygroup and drum since you can't put them into one sequence!

Very sorry if I have failed to find the answer to this somewhere obvious. I have read the manual and searched, I swear.

Thanks for any help.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:38 am
Drums, individually on different tracks, same seq.
Keygroup instruments, individually on different tracks, same seq as drums tracks.
All within the SAME sequence. Use tracks.

seq1 trk1 kik
seq1 trk2 snr
seq1 trk3 hhat
seq1 trk4 piano
seq1 trk5 horn sample

All seqs MUST have the same trk assignments BEFORE chaining in song mode.
Why, because song mode will ONLY follow the very first step's trk assignments.
If not different trk mutes and non-parallel instrument assignments on several seqs WILL NOT not playback correctly.

Do a search, I've explained this a million and 3 times :lol:

Song mode is for chaining seqs together.
By jayber Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:39 am
Hi Lampdog

Thank you for your reply. I did see your previous replies on this, but thought they didn't apply since I cannot find anyway to create tracks in the MPC Essentials software!

As far as I can tell (and please tell me that I'm wrong and how) the MPC Essentials software (as opposed to other software) DOES NOT allow multiple tracks. There is some mention of this in other threads on here. The only mention of tracks in the manual is when using the controller as a plugin not standalone, and I can't find anywhere in the UI to create them...

Hope you or someone else can help, even if it is to point out how I'm missing the obvious.

Many thanks

EDIT: just found this on another forum
http://community.akaipro.com/akai_profe ... c-elements
basically saying there is only 1 track - this is pretty fatal. How can I even hope to create an actual song without simultaneous tracks?
By jayber Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:32 pm
I must say, that feels like a total rip-off. :(

As far as I remember the website claims that you can use hardware and software without a DAW. This then isn't the case if you can't combine it's own capabilities (drum and keygroup sequences) into a meaningful song.

In fact keygroup sequences have no value as part of the standalone software since you'll never meaningfully be able to combine them into a song.

At best its a standalone drum machine, isn't it?

Blackmail marketing!
Last edited by jayber on Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Lampdog Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:09 pm
Got lost in thinking mpc and not specifically Essential software.

Sorry for the confusion, it's only 1 track, that's the way it's designed.
By jibber Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 am
You could re-sample the 2nd sequence, save it as a sample and record it into sequence 1.

SP1200 has only one track too, it's the secret to greatness... i kid i kid... :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
By Clint Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:54 am
Moved to where you might get more help/tips.

But the one track thing is a massive fail IMHO.
By pituchez Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:05 am
what in the.............................................

1 **** track? god damn

man tahts **** up..why would akai do this..
haha wow
By pituchez Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 am
yea but work arounds and shit are gay..

lame stuff..

oh well..
i recomend you just get mpc stuiod or ren :D

i love it
i thin its worth it :worthy:
By kaydigi Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:26 am
pituchez wrote:yea but work arounds and **** are gay..

lame stuff..

oh well..
i recomend you just get mpc stuiod or ren :D

i love it
i thin its worth it :worthy:

The thing is if they can have multiple instances of essentials then they should have multiple instances of the main software in plugin mode.
By Freddyfresh Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:36 pm
I realize I'm 10 years late here but for me playing 2 sequences at once is strictly for running external synths via midi data and it is an amazing feature on the 4000 which I'm curious to know if the X will do
By bliprock Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:59 am
Freddyfresh wrote:I realize I'm 10 years late here but for me playing 2 sequences at once is strictly for running external synths via midi data and it is an amazing feature on the 4000 which I'm curious to know if the X will do

I am only new to the Live and catching up, but no, I don't think so.

CLIPS - damn it Akai, why only samples? why not MIDI CLIPS, or am I missing something here? I think if they let us make midi to clips then yeah I think you could be half way there. I mean I am surprised it is not an option unless I am not seeing it. I notice that they start the sequencer and yeah if you have a lot of tracks you would have to send a trigger for every track? like a 16 note chord lol, but it would allow you to piggyback tracks without bouncing it all. This is just a work around of course but is very close to having multiple sequences, though lots of work to set up really. JJOS pattern to pad function is what I am basing this on obviously and kinda disappointed this is not available. hmmm damn it I love that option, any midi launched out to any hardware or internally to programs, synced and on the fly.. what do? use the old MPC at same time?

So unless I am stupid and missed it, Akai should allow midi to be assigned to a clip and also allow that to be pointed to internal program or external MIDI IO. And actually besides invert phase it is the only thing I miss from the JJOSXL and JJOS3. Bring it Akai, bring it. Who can twist their arm on this one peeps? I might suggest it via bug report, but if someone could confirm this is the case first that would be good, I do not wanna look too stupid, half stupid is ok though.

Like I know I am kinda off topic, and a simultaneous sequence would seem more apt but it made me think of Clips and Merge function and any other work around. None work, but damn midi clips and I am sorted.