Bug reports & end-user support for Akai's MPC Software 'controllers' including the new MPC Studio 2, the MPC Touch, MPC Renaissance & original MPC Studio and MPC StudioB lack.
By Dope806 Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 pm
Ok check it I know this is a Mpc forum but I looking for some honest opinions... I've owned Mpc 2000 2000xl 1000 2500 I currently use the slimline studio and it's my first software based Mpc so far and tbh I actually dig it at the moment... I was a little disappointed with the look and the over all workflow of the software after checking out the Maschine studio... To be honest I couldn't believe I was even cheating on akai and even touching a diff company's machine. Lol but yea I started messing with the Maschine and I think imo it's Dope... My question is is there any news on akai upgrading the software to something more modern looking and is there any future plans for akai to up their game and give more sounds and plugins the way NI has with the Maschine bc tbh NI kills akai with all the extra software and sounds that's included when purchased... I know it to each their own and it's about what your comfortable with but has anyone here had the chance to really dig in to the Maschine and Ren and can anyone give me a reason where akais software dominates Maschine... Jw might be switching to NI here pretty soon
By MPC-Tutor Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:18 pm
Akai have stated that they are updating the look of the MPC Software for 2.0, but who knows if it will look better or worse than Maschine in my eyes or yours or anyone else's. I agree that Maschine looks better, but I'm not sure how much that really matters.

As for the sounds and plugins that are given away, the Touch comes with a lot more compared to the Studio (e.g the Vault) - personally I found most of it to be bland and lifeless, generic fodder, although I might be somewhat biased on that front.

MPC 2.0 is going to come with a lot more AiR instruments and effects, this should be interesting, although Akai are already backtracking on what might be involved here, so we'll just have to wait and see what exactly gets included in the final release.

I like Maschine, but like the MPC it has its faults. I think you have to go with what feels most comfortable and ultimately what leads to more creativity.
By Dope806 Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:23 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Akai have stated that they are updating the look of the MPC Software for 2.0, but who knows if it will look better or worse than Maschine in my eyes or yours or anyone else's. I agree that Maschine looks better, but I'm not sure how much that really matters.

As for the sounds and plugins that are given away, the Touch comes with a lot more compared to the Studio (e.g the Vault) - personally I found most of it to be bland and lifeless, generic fodder, although I might be somewhat biased on that front.

MPC 2.0 is going to come with a lot more AiR instruments and effects, this should be interesting, although Akai are already backtracking on what might be involved here, so we'll just have to wait and see what exactly gets included in the final release.

I like Maschine, but like the MPC it has its faults. I think you have to go with what feels most comfortable and ultimately what leads to more creativity.

Is it known if 2.0 is going to be a free upgrade or is it going to cost oh and what's the word on the real ease date aswell. Thanx in advance
By Laz Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:04 pm
to the OP: why not get Maschine anyways ? It's not like getting married, you know. It's just money and at the end of the day if you used it to make your life a bit more enjoyable or fun, you wont have wasted it; whereas if you just keep it in the bank your whole life, it will be lost when you move on...which can happen to anyone at any time. So, you know, I'm just saying
By Lampdog Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:35 pm
Laz wrote:..if you just keep it in the bank your whole life, it will be lost when you move on...

I aint going anywhere....dammit.
By Fugazi Jones Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 am
I have used both a lot and objectively the maschine software is far superior, in general stability, functionality and versatility, it also works way better when using it as a plugin within logic.
However the one thing i think the mpc is better at is sample chopping which is huge for me, i really prefer the MPC workflow when at the creation stages of making a beat that's why i still mainly use MPC when making a beat. It's just unbeatable (IMO) for jamming out a new beat. I also prefer the big solid REN feel over the pasticy hollow maschine.
By Dope806 Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:10 am
Fugazi Jones wrote:I have used both a lot and objectively the maschine software is far superior, in general stability, functionality and versatility, it also works way better when using it as a plugin within logic.
However the one thing i think the mpc is better at is sample chopping which is huge for me, i really prefer the MPC workflow when at the creation stages of making a beat that's why i still mainly use MPC when making a beat. It's just unbeatable (IMO) for jamming out a new beat. I also prefer the big solid REN feel over the pasticy hollow maschine.

Awesome. I have the Mpc studio right now and was debating to upgrade to the Ren or grab a Maschine lol tough choice at the moment. Thanx for your honest opinion
By Dope806 Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:12 am
eclipxe wrote:Get the touch. The workflow is way better than Maschine

I'm gonna have to check it too I e seen it but never really got my hands on one... Does it live up to the hype and vs Ren?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:24 am
If you are looking to buy a new MPC, generally speaking my current advice is to check out the Touch first, I've found it has the best workflow (for me) - I adopt a 'hybrid' approach, so I still use the data wheel to change most values but use the touch screen to select parameters, pinch and zoom etc. I perform 90% of tasks entirely in the hardware, but some things are still just easier/quicker to do in the computer (e.g drag drop samples to pads).

As with the Studio, I find single column Q links still a PITA to use (swapping Q Link banks is a chore), but TBH I never really used them on the Ren either. I still think the MPC range is missing a good old slider (or a dedicated 'touch pad' equivalent).

Going out on a limb, I'd say only get the Ren now if you need the more advanced audio interface with all those dedicated inputs for vinyl, mics, digital etc. If budget is utmost importance and you already have a half decent interface, get the Studio black.
By Dope806 Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:10 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:If you are looking to buy a new MPC, generally speaking my current advice is to check out the Touch first, I've found it has the best workflow (for me) - I adopt a 'hybrid' approach, so I still use the data wheel to change most values but use the touch screen to select parameters, pinch and zoom etc. I perform 90% of tasks entirely in the hardware, but some things are still just easier/quicker to do in the computer (e.g drag drop samples to pads).

As with the Studio, I find single column Q links still a PITA to use (swapping Q Link banks is a chore), but TBH I never really used them on the Ren either. I still think the MPC range is missing a good old slider (or a dedicated 'touch pad' equivalent).

Going out on a limb, I'd say only get the Ren now if you need the more advanced audio interface with all those dedicated inputs for vinyl, mics, digital etc. If budget is utmost importance and you already have a half decent interface, get the Studio black.

Ok kool so I already have the slimline Mpc studio works fine it's ok... but what exactly does the Ren give other than interface and a few knobs? And am I just spinning my head here looking for something that I already have in my set up? Like I said the slime line is kool just appearance wise is kinda toyish. The Ren is does look more Mpc-ish and I do like that about it but if my studio does pretty much what the Ren does other than like I said earlier the interface and the q link knobs I guess I should keep that utilize it and wait for 2.0 then make a descision
By Heavie Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:16 am
Hello All, very long time since I posted. I purchased the ren when first released at the same time I purchased the maschine mk1. As everyone knows, akai's software was so buggy and limited at beginning, that I found myself getting into the maschine 1.x work flow and when NI released the maschine studio with the 2.0 software I was hook. I don't think I put 100 hours on the ren and akai software. Being a strictly mpc 2000, 4000 and 5000 owner, I never thought I would be a highly maschine fan. I kept the ren around because, I sold the other mpcs and looking to one one day go back into useing the ren and the software. Then a month or so I pick up the mpc touch and the ableton push 2 after trading in my push 1 with ableton. Long story short, I'm still not a real fan of push. But, I must admit I found new love with akai with the touch controller, once I got past why the touch screen wasn't displaying the software properly. I'm having fun with the touch and feeling creative. I still love maschine, but the touch has open new doors with me and akai that was once closed tightly. I really thought the touch was a gimmik controller and I'm thankful for being open minded and curious.