MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By BremenCole Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:44 pm
For me everything is riding on 2.0 as to whether I get a live or X. As I see it, and I hope I'm right, my Touch with 2.0 will be a Live, but without the standalone feature. That would be perfect. If it is somehow crippled, then I will have to think about an X or Live. My Touch is still a great machine and I am still happy with it, but that X makes me lust.
By Icepulse Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:01 pm
BremenCole wrote:For me everything is riding on 2.0 as to whether I get a live or X. As I see it, and I hope I'm right, my Touch with 2.0 will be a Live, but without the standalone feature. That would be perfect. If it is somehow crippled, then I will have to think about an X or Live. My Touch is still a great machine and I am still happy with it, but that X makes me lust.

If anything, The standalones will be crippled.

(8) audio tracks vs. (128) on desktop ver.
And forget about 3rd party synths / effects VSTs.
By funkycoldmedina Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:42 pm
1. I don't understand. In standalone mode, is it only 8 "audio tracks"? Or only 8 tracks TOTAL?

2. Also- none of the built-in Hybrid synth or FX plugins will work in standalone mode either? Absolutely no built-in synths in standalone mode? If so, then there's pretty much no point in owning one of these.

3. Can someone explain to me a cool benefit of Wifi mode, rumored to be coming in updates after 2.0? I don't understand the benefits/excitement about this feature, but I'm dumb about this kind of thing
By J.O.BEATS Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm
Akai is damned if they do damned if they don't. Everybody bitches about mpc controllers and not being stand alone. Then they make a stand alone and everybody bitches "but I can't use my plug ins and it'll never be as powerful as my macbook".

Akai is a s*%^$# company and deserve a lot of skepticism from their loyal customers but complaining that a stand alone MPC can't host vsts is a bit much
By liveguy Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 pm
BremenCole wrote:For me everything is riding on 2.0 as to whether I get a live or X. As I see it, and I hope I'm right, my Touch with 2.0 will be a Live, but without the standalone feature. That would be perfect. If it is somehow crippled, then I will have to think about an X or Live. My Touch is still a great machine and I am still happy with it, but that X makes me lust.

Having a Touch and 2.0 will be ALMOST identical to a MPC Live...with the bonus of being able to use your VST plugs.

The Touch seems like the better move thus far between the Live and the Touch...assuming one already has a Touch, of course.

If you're gonna get the standalone, get the X....
By Heavie Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:Akai is damned if they do damned if they don't. Everybody bitches about mpc controllers and not being stand alone. Then they make a stand alone and everybody bitches "but I can't use my plug ins and it'll never be as powerful as my macbook".

Akai is a s*%^$# company and deserve a lot of skepticism from their loyal customers but complaining that a stand alone MPC can't host vsts is a bit much

The most truthful comment of 2017.
By Bain Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:50 pm
J.O.BEATS wrote:Akai is damned if they do damned if they don't. Everybody bitches about mpc controllers and not being stand alone. Then they make a stand alone and everybody bitches "but I can't use my plug ins and it'll never be as powerful as my macbook".

I get what you are saying but I'm pretty sure that the people who were yearning for a standalone unit also had some features that would make them spend their money on it. Why would a company build a product before getting a grasp of what the people really want and need first?

There was a keyboard out years ago that supported vsts so I guess people were thinking that since its 2017 they would be able to use vsts in a standalone mpc. If akai would communicate with the potential buyer about features better I think that there would be a lot less complaining.
By richie Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:38 pm
Bain wrote: Why would a company build a product before getting a grasp of what the people really want and need first?

There was a keyboard out years ago that supported vsts so I guess people were thinking that since its 2017 they would be able to use vsts in a standalone mpc. If akai would communicate with the potential buyer about features better I think that there would be a lot less complaining.

The Neko was an embedded Windows XP put in a synth body, thats why it was able to handle VST and any other DAW you wanted to throw at it. I am quite curious how people plan to integrate workflow of these new stand alone units that lack all of the options that software base DAWS possess.
By pspsounds Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:47 pm
I've used JJOS with audio tracks and it would start to glitch after about 8. I think some people are planning to do albums on this thing. For my setup 8 will do the job most of the time. If I need more I will hook to the computer or resample some into 1 track. I prefer stability. Not sure if it's 8 stereo or mono.
By Icepulse Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 am
pspsounds wrote:I've used JJOS with audio tracks and it would start to glitch after about 8. I think some people are planning to do albums on this thing. For my setup 8 will do the job most of the time. If I need more I will hook to the computer or resample some into 1 track. I prefer stability. Not sure if it's 8 stereo or mono.

Exactly what I mean. You wanna rock an MPC? Rock an MPC. A few audio tracks should be adequate for a few vocals and a little frosting.

Boom bap.
By Wormhelmet Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:16 am
Just to confirm, because I have only seen clip launch and audio tracks featured in the videos, does loading up a couple banks of samples let you use a midi track to sequence those samples on the 16 pad x 8 banks? Audio tracks are completely separate linear recording things that are able to be manipulated by further defining sections of it and making changes to the sections, or by waveform editing?

If so, it is all I need the machine to do correctly.(besides the clip launch bit). Further midi tracks can be added up to 128 in standalone to sequence whatever else you are going to do,nlike more samples on different 16 pads x 8 banks, or external gear with midi cables attached and set to particular track channel?

Also it appears that the 2GB sample RAM limitation can be overcome by streaming sampkes direct from hard drive or SD card
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 am
richie wrote:
Bain wrote: Why would a company build a product before getting a grasp of what the people really want and need first?

The Neko was an embedded Windows XP put in a synth body, thats why it was able to handle VST and any other DAW you wanted to throw at it. I am quite curious how people plan to integrate workflow of these new stand alone units that lack all of the options that software base DAWS possess.

yeah but look what came out 12 years ago and had 750 gigs of built in storage (which was impressive back then but should be seen as less than normal now) :
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/muse-research-receptor
By richie Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:18 am
mr_debauch wrote:yeah but look what came out 12 years ago and had 750 gigs of built in storage (which was impressive back then but should be seen as less than normal now) :
http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/muse-research-receptor

I remember this and thinking this is just a rackmount PC. I still think it was an interesting idea at the time. I'll sell you an Athlon 2500 to build your own man. :)

I've been considering starting a thread about cheap high powered DAW builds people can do now with decomissioned server grade parts. Everything is so cheap now. 32 Gig DDR3 for $60 CDN, 6 core 12 thread 3.3ghz processors, $70, etc.