MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Icepulse Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:23 am
Lampdog wrote:
Icepulse wrote:Right. What cools an iPad Pro?

My ipad pro doesn't get hot at all.

Highly doubt X uses the same cpu as ipad pro.

Folks are running 32 tracks in Auria on an iPpro, w/ effects. It gets hot. But it has power.
By peeping tom Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 am
looks nice, but a few years too late for me.
Think most users have already moved towards a PC anyway...

so, whos selling samplers ? :)
By Fanu Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 am
So far my questions regarding PDC have been ignored, while new features have been presented.
I can only guess this means it hasn't been fixed; it's not like it's a mindblowing feature, so one could guess if it was fixed, they'd gladly say it's been done.
We'll see; feeling a bit bummed if it's still as poor as it's been so far. Throw a Slate VTM on audio track and it'll be out of time.
By zangetsu01 Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:51 am
Coz wrote:Image

So it's possible to bounce vst instrument tracks and load it up in stand alone mode.. thats great news, if we'll be able to use these bounced tracks in a program than we can use the 8 audio tracks for vocals. :popcorn:

Than what with all this bitching about no vst's in standalone mode..?? :hmmm:
In order for them to implement such a feature it would need a computer based processor and than the 'X' would not cost $2200 but $2800. 8)
By cmscss Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 am
Than what with all this bitching about no vst's in standalone mode..?? :hmmm:
In order for them to implement such a feature it would need a computer based processor and than the 'X' would not cost $2200 but $2800. 8)

Exactly, I plan on using the MPC X in the same way all standalone MPCs were used - super-fast loop-based song writing and arrangement to be bounced down to a DAW/tape for mixing/finishing.

Some of us prefer to seperate the beats, writing and arrangement that MPCs do so well, from the polishing, mixing and mastering that computers do so well - right tool and all that.

And yes, there's no argument that computers offer better value. But computers turn the writing experience into a computing experience, which isn't that creative for some of us - and because of limitless options, often contributes to a bad case of 'f*@ckarounditis' that can ruin the writing process.

Keep the MPC focused on what it was always good at (super-fast loop-based writing) and integrate it into the recording process - I see the 8 tracks of audio as a useful bonus rather than a DAW replacement.

A few things that are unclear:
- Is it 24bit (to integrate into DAW/Recording/Mixing)?
- Does it have an arppegiator (useful for synths, hats or randomised sample effects)?
Last edited by cmscss on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 32 times in total.
By richie Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:22 am
zangetsu01 wrote: So it's possible to bounce vst instrument tracks and load it up in stand alone mode.. thats great news, if we'll be able to use these bounced tracks in a program than we can use the 8 audio tracks for vocals. :popcorn:

Oh wow, it's 2017 and you mean to tell me there is a sampler that can play a long wav file? :fku:
By Fanu Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:40 am
richie wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote: So it's possible to bounce vst instrument tracks and load it up in stand alone mode.. thats great news, if we'll be able to use these bounced tracks in a program than we can use the 8 audio tracks for vocals. :popcorn:

Oh wow, it's 2017 and you mean to tell me there is a sampler that can play a long wav file? :fku:

People gotta understand that the MPC is not trying to be a Pro Tools in the box at all or compete with DAWs.
It's an instrument.

It's trying to be good at what it always was good at: making songs and ideas quick, and making that easy and fun. Especially if you work with samples, it really excels at that. Still gotta love the feeling of rocking things with 16 Levels with the pads. Contributes to your creativity.
Now, getting audio tracks expands the MPC from what it was. And especially with 2.0 in the computer, you get way more tracks than standalone.

I don't think the new MPC is still trying to be a be-all-end-all product and excel at everything, and that's what a lot of people miss. I've always said I find the restaurants with just a few good things on their menu way better than those offering 40 different dishes.

My 2c.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:52 am
Wormhelmet wrote:Ah ha. MPC expansions. There is where you can add your multisampled instruments. Excellent. without even using an audio track up I assume. Just a midi track. Entirely unfamiliar with MPC software before 2.0 announcements as I only own a 2000XL (pillowcase) and iMPC Pro on iPad. Only experienced with mv software which sounds like very similar to 2.0 features with a few Ableton type tricks and different fx being the biggest difference that the MV lacks. Also the newer, faster hardware and touchscreen....

Multisampled instruments are not necessarily an expansion, they can be a keygroup program or a VST plugin, which can optionally be made into a plugin expansion or be part of a sample expansion. This is a pre-existing feature of the MPC Software, not a new 2.0 feature.
By zangetsu01 Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am
richie wrote:

Than show me a reasonable prized sampler that loads vst's and vsti's joker.. :popcorn:
By Coz Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:An existing issue in 1.9.6 is that drag and drop audio is always 16 bit. That isn't going to fly if we are entirely relying on it for bouncing down VST tracks etc.

I think they need to iron out quirks like this asap. If I start a project at 24/48, I don't want any unnecessary conversions occurring between different features, whether it's working with audio tracks or dragging and dropping audio.

Presumably the CPU can only manage 8 tracks of audio at a reduced sample rate to allow for realtime pitch and time stretching...
By Zplane ROC Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:56 am
Lampdog wrote:
Icepulse wrote:Right. What cools an iPad Pro?

My ipad pro doesn't get hot at all.

Highly doubt X uses the same cpu as ipad pro.

The leaked FCC pics in the MPC LIVE looked like an ARM A-17 quad core running at perhaps 1.6ghz/core. iPad Pro runs a dual core running at 2.26ghz. What the raw power between the two chips means in real life I don't know.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:41 pm
richie wrote:

Yep, the result, a long wav file.