MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ill-Green Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:33 pm
Eyalc wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:You mean you can't traverse around bars with the touch-screen? Or too figeddy?

People may do it different ways, but the way I do it, is I touch / select the time signature in the top right, then use the cursor wheel (bottom right) to jump to bars. Like Fanu said, I grew up with those transport buttons, so not having them there is a glaring omission. Is it a deal-breaker? No, but it's a pain to do it that way. When your hands are used to using the start, stop, rec, and transport buttons, it's a flow stopper to have to touch the screen to highlight the time then use the wheel to jump.

At least the X has those buttons.

Man, we living in an age where basic features are considered flagship material :lol:
By Danoc Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 pm
*Shaking your hand*!!!
I will be more than good with the Live. My DAWs are so dope anything else l need to ill do it there.

Icepulse wrote:Errr... it's an all-in-one mobile, battery operated sampler that does 10x more than any other standalone on the market. That alone is more than enough to justify its existence. Need more? Stick w/ PC & Controller solutions.
By summer2k Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:07 pm
Ill-Green wrote:What is this wizardry you speak of? This app is typing the words I'm thinking :shock: I know there are many words but it picks the exact word in my mind. Also the typing is freaking slick. :smoker:

Summer2k, :worthy:

I knew you'd like it. It's been my go to keyboard app for years now. Best out there in my opinion. :lol: :nod:
By Icepulse Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:04 am
Fanu wrote:
Icepulse wrote:Errr... it's an all-in-one mobile, battery operated sampler that does 10x more than any other standalone on the market. That alone is more than enough to justify its existence. Need more? Stick w/ PC & Controller solutions.

Live? Definitely not "10x" more, no way. Honestly, the MPC is pretty basic in the light of what's out there.
The standalone and touchscreen aspect are great, though, no doubt.
But there are other standalone samplers, e.g., Octatrack.

I disagree. Tell me, as far as pure hardware samplers, what makes the Live look "basic".
By Danoc Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:56 am
I agree with you Ice 100%
Nothing basic abiut the Live and dam sure not the X. In looks its the best standalone machince out. Facts!.

Now am l going for loojs or get my work done? The latter. Nothing is wrong with a lil eye candy but lm more interested in what it can do. Ice like you said its more than enough. That Live is popowerful like The X just don't have the 8 outs which lm not going to use. Cv/Gate, lots of buttons, 16 QLink knobs. Under the hood it has 2.0 just like the X.
Icepulse wrote:I disagree. Tell me, as far as pure hardware samplers, what makes the Live look "basic".
By Danoc Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:01 am
Dam you switched to BnH now? lol boy you are hustling the hell outta these stores to get that machine lol lmao

Ill-Green wrote:Looks like B&H Photos will honor my price match :smoker:

I figured they would since they're international sellers themselves :D

That means fast shipping!
By Ill-Green Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:48 am
Danoc wrote:Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16 Sampling Workstation cost 1,499 aint no way l would pay for that. Might as well get the X.

Nah man, for what it is, its not worth $1500. That should've been $899.00, the fact Dave Smith's name on it boosts the cost. Dave Smith filters, whoopee **** doo! Pioneer designed and built the filters, Dave just supervised the whole thing and stamped his name.

Danoc wrote:Dam you switched to BnH now? lol boy you are hustling the hell outta these stores to get that machine lol lmao

Where there's a will, there's way. :mrgreen:
By Ill-Green Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 am
summer2k wrote:
How much did you lock it in at if you don't mind me asking?

Tomorrow I'll let you know, but I did it Eylac style, I locked a preorder. Most likely they will solve the difference with a gift card or store credit. I bought the MV and the P-1 from them so they know my credit good. We'll see. :mrgreen:
By Danoc Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 am
Exactly! I wouldn't buy it they must be smokin.
Man lm looking at the Live and ut has 16 bank QLink. You just go through the banks. So l aint missing the QLink at all.
Ima love banging out on that piece.
It just looks super easy to operate l am loving that.

Ill-Green wrote:
Danoc wrote:Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16 Sampling Workstation cost 1,499 aint no way l would pay for that. Might as well get the X.

Nah man, for what it is, its not worth $1500. That should've been $899.00, the fact Dave Smith's name on it boosts the cost. Dave Smith filters, whoopee **** doo! Pioneer designed and built the filters, Dave just supervised the whole thing and stamped his name.

Danoc wrote:Dam you switched to BnH now? lol boy you are hustling the hell outta these stores to get that machine lol lmao

Where there's a will, there's way. :mrgreen:
By Junqle Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:59 am
I have a few questions I'm hoping a MPC Touch user might be able to answer:
1) What does the EQ look like on the touchscreen? Is it similar to ableton, where you can drag EQ points on the screen or do you have to adjust the freq/gain using the q-links (would love to see a screenshot of the Mpc touch eq on the screen)
2) I'm seeing a lot of concern about the lack of PDC, which I don't really understand. Will this only be an issue when using third party plugins when the live/X is hooked up to a computer?
3) Can the q-links be mapped to pretty much every parameter or are they limited?
4) Does the Touch feature LFO's, if so what can they be mapped to?
5) Can users specify which FX they would like to use on the XY fx section or are they already determined by defaults?
6) Is anyone using the unit for breaks/dnb? Ll the videos I have seen have been for four on the floor genres or hip hop? (Fanu might be qualified to answer this one)
7) With the limit of 8 audio tracks in standalone mode, how difficult is it to consolidate audio tracks to midi? I'm hoping it's not too much menu diving as I plan on recording basslines from my monologue.

Also interested to see what SATA drives people will be buying to upgrade the storage.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:05 am
Junqle wrote:1) What does the EQ look like on the touchscreen? Is it similar to ableton, where you can drag EQ points on the screen or do you have to adjust the freq/gain using the q-links (would love to see a screenshot of the Mpc touch eq on the screen)

Nothing fancy, no graphs. You adjust the settings using Q links or directly via the touchscreen. EQ is added as an effect insert, there's a few different types, here's the 2 band parametric:

2) I'm seeing a lot of concern about the lack of PDC, which I don't really understand. Will this only be an issue when using third party plugins when the live/X is hooked up to a computer?

Yes.
3) Can the q-links be mapped to pretty much every parameter or are they limited?

QLink mapping is apparently getting a complete overhaul, we'll have to see what's what when they release 2.0.

LFO is assigned on a per-pad basis. Pitch, filter, amp and pan.
5) Can users specify which FX they would like to use on the XY fx section or are they already determined by defaults?

There are a number of effects and filters available specifically for xyfx mode, to which you can adjust various parameters.
7) With the limit of 8 audio tracks in standalone mode, how difficult is it to consolidate audio tracks to midi? I'm hoping it's not too much menu diving as I plan on recording basslines from my monologue.

We'll have to wait to see...
By Junqle Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:43 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Junqle wrote:1) What does the EQ look like on the touchscreen? Is it similar to ableton, where you can drag EQ points on the screen or do you have to adjust the freq/gain using the q-links (would love to see a screenshot of the Mpc touch eq on the screen)

Nothing fancy, no graphs. You adjust the settings using Q links or directly via the touchscreen. EQ is added as an effect insert, there's a few different types, here's the 2 band parametric:

Yes.

QLink mapping is apparently getting a complete overhaul, we'll have to see what's what when they release 2.0.

LFO is assigned on a per-pad basis. Pitch, filter, amp and pan.

There are a number of effects and filters available specifically for xyfx mode, to which you can adjust various parameters.

We'll have to wait to see...

Thanks for the detailed answers!