MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:45 pm
Da'Fuq are people thinking. Standalone means it stands alone. No outside help needed, self-contained, no, no VST's should be there. I swear muhfuggas don't "think".

The controller version is on computer, yes, VST's should be allowed, encouraged to be there. If not, then THAT is a legitimate problem imo.
By kaydigi Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 pm
Lampdog wrote:Da'Fuq are people thinking. Standalone means it stands alone. No outside help needed, self-contained, no, no VST's should be there. I swear muhfuggas don't "think".

The controller version is on computer, yes, VST's should be allowed, encouraged to be there. If not, then THAT is a legitimate problem imo.

At least give us an internal synth, a better one than the 5000.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 pm
Yeah I've heard about the 5k synth. I've never heard or played with it personally.
Good friends have said it sucked and/or left them wanting for something way better. I can understand
that feeling.
By rookie Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:11 pm
Man to be honest it's enough ways out there to record with or without VST's , peeps are being real petty at this point. Akai did what we thought they would not do and gave us a stand alone hybrid, best of both worlds, the 4K couldn't load VST's , why because it's a STAND AlONE :nod:
By zangetsu01 Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:29 pm
jpeg wrote:
zangetsu01 wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:
nice try at what? it's **** 9 bucks.. the specs for under 10 bucks is close to a music machine i used over a decade ago (and ran plug ins) so the point is... why for 2 grand can't we get specs that can do the task in 2017.

arm processor or not.. what? do you think apple computers ran intels back in 2000?

If you don't like the new MPC's than good for you nobody is forcing you to.. :popcorn:

Me..?? I'm selling my MPC Touch, MPC 2500 & Trackmaster Platinum Cause I'm getting the 'X'. :worthy:

Im sure a week ago u was cursing u hated akai now u 'hum doo allah'

Please go back and read my posts.. I was one of the firsts to say that I'm getting the 'X' The only thing that I said I dislike about what they where doing is the silence and the fact that they have lowered the price of the Touch..

Get your facts straight before you start to get on my case. It seems like you love to react to my posts...

Why..??
By Sinamsis Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 pm
Lampdog wrote:Yeah I've heard about the 5k synth. I've never heard or played with it personally.
Good friends have said it sucked and/or left them wanting for something way better. I can understand
that feeling.

I had the 5000 for quite a while. Sold it when I first caught wind of a new MPC. I really found myself not using it too often, as I was doing everything faster and with less hassle in Ableton with Touch. Always wanted a hybrid MPC. I could never bring myself to let the 5000 go, because I liked having it in the studio. But the truth is, it was less efficient for me so I didn't use it much.

I tried the VA synth in the 5000 very briefly. It sounded ok, not great. You could probably get some stuff going with it if you worked at it. But personally, I wouldn't bother. There are a lot of great, cheap VA synths out there (I think the 5000 was based off of technology from Alesis Micron/Ion which are actually two fantastic VAs). I personally don't bother with a synth that doesn't have a ton of knobs that are quickly adjusted. The smallish screen on the 5000 just didn't cut it for me in terms of synth programming.

Bottom line, all I'm expecting from the X is a stable sequencer, decent sampler that doesn't color the sound, and something that I can jam out with in my living room, then take it to the studio and connect it to the computer to flesh things out, and when I'm done throw everything back on the X to jam or play out. I personally don't want an all in one solution, I like using several (read many) different synths/samplers because they all inspire me to work in a different way. I'm firm believer that playing an instrument is a two way interaction. Anyways, getting a little off topic. But if Akai can pull of a stable OS, with a workflow similar, but improved, compared to older MPCs, with projects that can freely communicate between machine and computer... That's all I want. And the price is worth it to me.

I ordered mine from Thomann. I think it was 1540 euros shipped to the US (no VAT). Not sure what I'll pay in import duties. But I've ordered quite a bit of modular gear from Europe and paid no import duties in the past. From what I could find, I believe import tax on synthesizers (which I think Thomann had this classified as) is 5.3%. It's still well below Sweetwater's asking price even if import taxes are added.
By J.O.BEATS Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:02 pm
Lampdog wrote:Yeah I've heard about the 5k synth. I've never heard or played with it personally.
that feeling.

The synth was ok, I got some good use out of it. What I do miss about the 5k though is having an arpeggiator in my mpc. I used that all the time
By Wormhelmet Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 pm
There are some very good sounding multitimbral synths that come in a wide range of prices that could easily be found to accomodate from high budget to low budget in either used or new condition also. It does not take an arsenal of synths/romplers to get a good number of midi tracks going to individual sounds on those tracks. One 16 part multitimbral synth as long as it has fair polyphony covers a lot of ground.

Just a suggestion for those worried about no vst on the standalone and not wanting to render tracks to audio and import from a DAW with an X or Live in controller mode.
By DannyBmpc Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 pm
Icepulse wrote:
DannyBmpc wrote:Everyone is complaining that there are no vsts?? Did you really expect it to host VST or AU? 2.0 is its own operating system. They are not saying you cant run VSTs they are saying that companies will have to port over their software to the 2.0 OS which is not an easy feat. If the hardware units do become popular you can assume that a lot of companies will start porting over their vsts to mpc format. But lets be honest... did you all really expect this machine to be able to do all your mixing and mastering as well?

2.0 is its own OS?

2.0 is a software application. There's some modified OS on these devices, but it isn't MPC 2.0.

If that were the case, then you couldn't run VSTs on the desktop software, either.

I mis spoke. The computer and operating system running 2.0 on the live or x which is I believe is Linux based would have to run the vsts and for that to happen it would have to have custom programming by the vst manufacturer.
By kaydigi Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:19 am
Wormhelmet wrote:There are some very good sounding multitimbral synths that come in a wide range of prices that could easily be found to accomodate from high budget to low budget in either used or new condition also. It does not take an arsenal of synths/romplers to get a good number of midi tracks going to individual sounds on those tracks. One 16 part multitimbral synth as long as it has fair polyphony covers a lot of ground.

Just a suggestion for those worried about no vst on the standalone and not wanting to render tracks to audio and import from a DAW with an X or Live in controller mode.

Any synth recommendations before I take Jd xa or system 8 plunge.
By Sinamsis Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:22 am
kaydigi wrote:
Wormhelmet wrote:There are some very good sounding multitimbral synths that come in a wide range of prices that could easily be found to accomodate from high budget to low budget in either used or new condition also. It does not take an arsenal of synths/romplers to get a good number of midi tracks going to individual sounds on those tracks. One 16 part multitimbral synth as long as it has fair polyphony covers a lot of ground.

If you're looking specifically for a VA that would pair well I would look at the Virus line. A mk I TI would probably be found for about $1000 and it's 16 part multitimbral with a reasonably high voice count and built in effects. The overall voice count depends on how many effects/oscillators you use per voice. Mk II increase the voice count but the price tag too. And both have the TI software which allows for better interfacing with most DAWs.
By Wormhelmet Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:36 am
Sinamsis wrote:
kaydigi wrote:

If you're looking specifically for a VA that would pair well I would look at the Virus line. A mk I TI would probably be found for about $1000 and it's 16 part multitimbral with a reasonably high voice count and built in effects. The overall voice count depends on how many effects/oscillators you use per voice. Mk II increase the voice count but the price tag too. And both have the TI software which allows for better interfacing with most DAWs.

I just bought a used one (Virus Ti) in excellent condition (pictured in new gear purchases thread) for $839 off reputable seller on ebay. I paid a bit more for my Ti2, but honestly the Ti was the better deal of the two for what I paid. Fantastic synths. Even the older A, B, and C versions are great. The Ti line has better polyphony to multitibral ratio though. I think my Ti2 will do over 80 voices. I usually setup 4 to 6 multi's only, but I also have a few other synths I use on tracks, so not entirely dependent on one.

Not sure how many parts the JD XA has in multitimbral capability, but it does have a lot of voices on the digital side. I would hope its actually more than 4 parts for its digital abilities, but that may be it because of the analog side being the weaker link on parts (not sound, just parts)
By greavous420 Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 am
kaydigi wrote:

Deepmind 8. There was alot of hype about it before release.